XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

Myles-5
I'm trying to debug a plugin issue that occurs only with version 1.5.

My build procedure is:
1. Visual Studio.NET 7.1 is already installed on a Windows XP SP2 system.
2. Install Cygwin with default packages plus make, patchutils, perl, unzip,
zip. Add Cygwin to the path.
3. Extract moztools-static.zip. Copy libSDL-0.6_s.lib and glib-1.2_s.lib to
libSDL-0.6.lib and glib-1.2.lib.
4. Open a console window. Run vsvars32.bat.
5. Set MOZ_TOOLS to the moztools path, then add %MOZ_TOOLS%\bin to the path.
5. Download (by FTP) and extract firefox-1.5-source.tar.bz2. Change to the
mozilla directory.
6. Set MOZ_BUILD_APP to browser
7. make -f client.mk build

After a while I get "XPIDL has encounted a problem and needs to close..." It
appears to crash in EnterCriticalSection. The last command is
/cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper
../../dist/bin/xpidl.exe -m
header -w -I/cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/xpcom/ds -I../../dist/idl -o
_xpidlgen/nsIAtom /cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/xpcom/ds/nsIAtom.idl
make[4]: *** [_xpidlgen/nsIAtom.h] Error 5

If I try to build again, the crash is on nsIThread.idl

Other articles I've found mention that moztools used to vary with the
version of Visual Studio, but as I understand it moztools-static took care
of that. How can I make XPIDL not crash and get a debuggable browser? Thank
you.

Myles

Re: XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

Gavin Doughtie-3
You'll need the VC7 specific version of the moztools (I don't have the
link handy) but it's available.

Myles wrote:

> I'm trying to debug a plugin issue that occurs only with version 1.5.
>
> My build procedure is:
> 1. Visual Studio.NET 7.1 is already installed on a Windows XP SP2 system.
> 2. Install Cygwin with default packages plus make, patchutils, perl, unzip,
> zip. Add Cygwin to the path.
> 3. Extract moztools-static.zip. Copy libSDL-0.6_s.lib and glib-1.2_s.lib to
> libSDL-0.6.lib and glib-1.2.lib.
> 4. Open a console window. Run vsvars32.bat.
> 5. Set MOZ_TOOLS to the moztools path, then add %MOZ_TOOLS%\bin to the path.
> 5. Download (by FTP) and extract firefox-1.5-source.tar.bz2. Change to the
> mozilla directory.
> 6. Set MOZ_BUILD_APP to browser
> 7. make -f client.mk build
>
> After a while I get "XPIDL has encounted a problem and needs to close..." It
> appears to crash in EnterCriticalSection. The last command is
> /cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper
> ../../dist/bin/xpidl.exe -m
> header -w -I/cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/xpcom/ds -I../../dist/idl -o
> _xpidlgen/nsIAtom /cygdrive/o/projects/src/mozilla/xpcom/ds/nsIAtom.idl
> make[4]: *** [_xpidlgen/nsIAtom.h] Error 5
>
> If I try to build again, the crash is on nsIThread.idl
>
> Other articles I've found mention that moztools used to vary with the
> version of Visual Studio, but as I understand it moztools-static took care
> of that. How can I make XPIDL not crash and get a debuggable browser? Thank
> you.
>
> Myles

Re: XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

Benjamin Smedberg
Myles wrote:

> Other articles I've found mention that moztools used to vary with the
> version of Visual Studio, but as I understand it moztools-static took care
> of that. How can I make XPIDL not crash and get a debuggable browser? Thank
> you.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Windows_Build_Prerequisites_on_the_1.7_and_1.8_Branches#Netscape_wintools

says quite explicitly that moztools-static does not work with the 1.8.0
branch from which Firefox 1.5 is built.

--BDS

Re: XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

Myles-5

"Benjamin Smedberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Windows_Build_Prerequisites_on_the_1.7_and_1.8_Branches#Netscape_wintools
>
> says quite explicitly that moztools-static does not work with the 1.8.0
> branch from which Firefox 1.5 is built.
>
> --BDS

So it does. I started over after step 2 (installing cygwin).
3. Download and extract wintools.zip, vc71-glib-1.2.10-bin.zip and
vc71-libidl-0.6.8.zip
4. Create a moztools directory and set MOZ_TOOLS to its path.
5. Execute the wintools install script.
6. Extract the firefox 1.5 source code.
7. Execute the batch file below to set the environment.
8. Change to the mozilla directory and create the .mozconfig file below.
9. make -f client.mk build

--Batch file--
set VCVARS=C:\dev\MSVs71.NET\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat
set MOZ_TOOLS=O:\projects\src\moztools
set CYGWINBASE=C:\dev\cygwin
set GLIB_PREFIX=O:\projects\src\vc71
set LIBIDL_PREFIX=O:\projects\src\vc71
set PATH=%CYGWINBASE%\bin;%PATH%
call "%VCVARS%"
set PATH=%PATH%;%GLIB_PREFIX%;%GLIB_PREFIX%\bin
set INCLUDE=%GLIB_PREFIX%\bin;%INCLUDE%
set LIB=%GLIB_PREFIX%\lib;%LIB%
set PATH=%PATH%;%MOZ_TOOLS%\bin
----

--.mozconfig--
. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
ac_add_options --enable-debug
----

When building nsIConsoleListener.idl I get "xpidl.exe: The application
failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)."

As far as I can tell I'm following the instructions in detail, so I'm at a
loss for what to do.

Myles

Re: XPIDL crashes building Win32 Firefox 1.5 with moztools-static

sg-3
any luck with the crash ? I am facing the same problem.;-(

Thanks
Shalini