XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

rmaw
Is there any news from the front regarding when the next XForms add-on
will be released with Firefox 3 support. (I know about Philipp's build
- thanks Philipp!) There was some talk about two months ago that made
a release sound very close.

I'm also curious to know who the current developers are? The page:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xforms/aboutus.html

seems out of date. Are most of you volunteers? Is IBM still sponsoring
the XForms add-on to some degree?

Re: XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

Aaron Reed
The 0.8.6 for FF2 (to run on recently released FF 2.0.0.17) was
submitted to addons yesterday and will be made available once they
approve it.

0.8.6 for FF3 (to run on recently released FF 3.0.2) will be uploaded
shortly if it hasn't been uploaded yet.  Just some housekeeping to be
done on it.  Once it is uploaded it will be made available once addons
approves it.

IBM removed its last full-time developer after 0.8.5 went out.  Now
everyone on the project are volunteers.  Olli, Doron, Alex Surkov, John
Clark and I are still available for code reviews and to help mentor
anyone who comes along wishing to contribute to the project, but most of
us don't have time to do regular patches.  You'll see patches from us
from time to time, though.  Philipp Wagner has also been working
diligently at keeping our extension alive and well for FF3.  So while
new functionality and patches aren't exactly numerous anymore, the
project isn't dead.

New developers are always welcome and we'll do what we can to get new
volunteers up to speed and contributing quickly.

--Aaron

[hidden email] wrote:

> Is there any news from the front regarding when the next XForms add-on
> will be released with Firefox 3 support. (I know about Philipp's build
> - thanks Philipp!) There was some talk about two months ago that made
> a release sound very close.
>
> I'm also curious to know who the current developers are? The page:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xforms/aboutus.html
>
> seems out of date. Are most of you volunteers? Is IBM still sponsoring
> the XForms add-on to some degree?

RE: XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

Klotz, Leigh
Aaron,

The Mozilla Firefox extension has been a great help to us all.  I know
I've thanked you personally before but I want to thank you again.

My understanding from outside IBM is that far from abandoning XForms,
IBM is taking what has been learned in this Mozilla-only extension and
putting it into a cross-browser system call Ubiquity XForms (unrelated
to the subsequently-announced Mozilla Ubiquity Javascript command-line
project, or the Ubunutu "Ubiquity" Linux installer).

I believe that it will be some time before Ubiquity XForms is at the
level of completeness of the Mozilla XForms extension, which is close to
if not complete XForms 1.1, but my understanding is that a lot of effort
is going into Ubiquity XForms.

See http://code.google.com/p/ubiquity-xforms/

Leigh.

[hidden email] wrote:
> Is there any news from the front regarding when the next XForms add-on

> will be released with Firefox 3 support. (I know about Philipp's build
> - thanks Philipp!) There was some talk about two months ago that made
> a release sound very close.
>
> I'm also curious to know who the current developers are? The page:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xforms/aboutus.html
>
> seems out of date. Are most of you volunteers? Is IBM still sponsoring

> the XForms add-on to some degree?

Re: XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

rmaw
Thanks for the update Aaron. Somewhat sad news - this project has come
so far. Still, its nice to hear that the FF3 version is on hand, that
the volunteers are still around and active (if at a reduced capacity),
and that Ubiquity is on the horizon too. Many thanks to all the
volunteers so far! I believe, for many of us developers, the Firefox
extension has proved to be the attractive low-barrier to entry to the
XForms world and a pleasant world it is. Long live XForms.

- mawrya

Re: XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

Koen Heene
Hello,

I have had exactly this same question as mawrya, plus I have the same
a bit sad feeling about it.

I have been working with many user interface technologies for web
applications for a long time and, as xml has become the most important
technique for storing my data, I can't think of anything better today
for editing these xml data in a browser. I manage to design web
application with an architecture of an extreme beauty, thanks to
XForms.

At the same time I also think that if there is no big company
supporting the standard, it might fade away. I fear that some support
from a few volunteers only will not be enough for the technology to
survive. There seems not be enough lobbying for the technology within
big companies like IBM or Sun. Or there are no managers or marketing
people aware of the strength of the technology. I think that the
financial funding for developing the XForms engines will always have
to be decided by these non-developers.

I somebody aware of a web page with an overview of what the big
companies are doing with XForms? From Aaron's response, IBM is still
working with it. As far as I know, Open Office also has support for
XForms, but I haven't tested it. Microsoft, I suppose, is an opponent.

Koen

http://www.ilitrip.eu/

Re: XForms on Firefox 3...what's the news from the front?

Aaron Reed
Hi Koen,

To get a general overview of XForms as a technology, I would suggest
that you should follow the W3C newsgroups.  Not only do they discuss
future spec work, they also keep readers up to date with XForms
adopters, industry news, etc.

--Aaron