'X' in every tab gone forever?

stan pierce
I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what stan pierce graced us with on
10/31/2013 3:45 PM:
> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

They're there using the default theme. Also, middle-mouse click is
faster, fwiw.

--
Sailfish

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
10/31/2013 7:55 PM:
> My bloviated meandering follows what stan pierce graced us with on
> 10/31/2013 3:45 PM:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>
> They're there using the default theme. Also, middle-mouse click is
> faster, fwiw.

ah, I see you're using seamonkey, that piece of information would have
been helpful. The middle mouse click also works with seamonkey

Setting followup to mozilla.support.seamonkey

--
Sailfish

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

David E. Ross-3
On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Where does your elected official stand?  Which
politicians refuse to tell us where they stand?
See the non-partisan Project Vote Smart at
<http://votesmart.org/>.

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on
10/31/2013 9:35 PM:
> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>
> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.

I'm not seeing them on Seamonkey 2.22 on either the default or the
Modern themes.

--
Sailfish

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message <[hidden email]>, David E. Ross
<[hidden email]> writes:
>On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>

>I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.

And I'm seeing them in every tab including the first.

<This space unintentionally left blank>.

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Daniel-257
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>

> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.

And, like Sailfish, I'm not seeing "X"'s in any tabs, just on extreme
right of TAB bar.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/21.0 SeaMonkey/2.18 Build identifier: 20130418192405

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/25.0 SeaMonkey/2.22 Build identifier: 20131023190942

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Was Greywolf
On 2013-10-31 6:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

Agreed.

OTOH, I suspect that it was removed because some users occasionally
placed the mouse pointer on the X instead of the desired tab next to it.
So I can see that for some users removing the X would be useful. But I'd
like the option to keep it.

HTH

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

RAV-2
On 10/31/2013 6:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

If you're interested, in Firefox, I have two changes in my
userChrome.css file (in the Chrome subdirectory) related to how the
close ('X') buttons look and when they appear:

/* --------------------------------------------------------- */
/* Make close button appear even when only 1 tab */

.tab-close-button { display: -moz-box !important; }

/* --------------------------------------------------------- */
/* Make tab close buttons look like they did in FF 3 (red X) */

.tab-close-button {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 56px, 14px, 42px) !important;
   list-style-image: url("close.png") !important;
}

.tab-close-button:hover,
.tab-close-button:hover[selected="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 28px, 14px, 14px) !important;
}

.tab-close-button:hover:active,
.tab-close-button:hover:active[selected="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 42px, 14px, 28px) !important;
}

.tab-close-button[selected="true"] {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 14px, 14px, 0px) !important;
}
/* --------------------------------------------------------- */

On 10/31/2013 10:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on
> 10/31/2013 9:35 PM:
>> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>
>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>>
> I'm not seeing them on Seamonkey 2.22 on either the default or the
> Modern themes.

I thought the original post in this thread referred to Thunderbird.  The
message failed to indicate any application, and I never saw Xs on
browser tabs in SeaMonkey.  Thus, I responded as if Thunderbird were
meant.

I don't use SeaMonkey's mail-news capability because I don't want to
lose my current mail-news session when I switch browser profiles.
Instead, I use Thunderbird.

Actually, I prefer SeaMonkey's X at the far right of the browser tab
bar.  My aged hand and aged eyes could too easily cause me to select the
adjacent tab if the X were on each tab (as is currently done in
Thunderbird).  With the X separate from the tabs, I won't accidentally
close the wrong tab.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Where does your elected official stand?  Which
politicians refuse to tell us where they stand?
See the non-partisan Project Vote Smart at
<http://votesmart.org/>.

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

clay-14
David E. Ross wrote:...

> Actually, I prefer SeaMonkey's X at the far right of the browser tab
> bar.  My aged hand and aged eyes could too easily cause me to select the
> adjacent tab if the X were on each tab (as is currently done in
> Thunderbird).  With the X separate from the tabs, I won't accidentally
> close the wrong tab.

This is where my normally idle left hand is so handy. Ctrl+w to close a
tab... and if I mess up, Ctrl+Shift+t reopens it. Being left handed
helps from a dexterity perspective.
pop

stan pierce said the following on 10/31/2013 5:45 PM:
> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.

If we are talking about FF, I have a question: What happened to the "X"
on the far right of the tab bar that closed the currently viewed tab? It
is no longer there in FF 25.0. I used it a lot and now I have to be
careful and choose the correct tab "x" to close it. Sometimes I choose
the wrong tab's "x" and have to try to remember the ctrl seq. to get it
back - and since I'm 76, I sometimes can't even remember what day it is...

pop->Mark

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

PhillipJones-2
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>

> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.

Thankfully I have open in windows rather than tabs set. But even when
set that way tabs usually come up same in FireFox and Aurora. Australis
is nothing but tabs (looks exactly like chrome) but in all the x is all
the way over to far right corner instead of on the tab where they should
be.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

WaltS48
On 11/01/2013 06:42 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>>

>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>>

> Thankfully I have open in windows rather than tabs set. But even when
> set that way tabs usually come up same in FireFox and Aurora. Australis
> is nothing but tabs (looks exactly like chrome) but in all the x is all
> the way over to far right corner instead of on the tab where they should
> be.

Huh? The close X is in every tab I see in Australis. It is a white x in
a red circle on each tab. The green + for New Tab is always next to the
last tab.

But I use Linux, so it could be different.

You might want to disable Tab Mix Plus.
pop

pop said the following on 11/1/2013 5:08 PM:

> stan pierce said the following on 10/31/2013 5:45 PM:
>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>
> If we are talking about FF, I have a question: What happened to the "X"
> on the far right of the tab bar that closed the currently viewed tab? It
> is no longer there in FF 25.0. I used it a lot and now I have to be
> careful and choose the correct tab "x" to close it. Sometimes I choose
> the wrong tab's "x" and have to try to remember the ctrl seq. to get it
> back - and since I'm 76, I sometimes can't even remember what day it is...
>
> pop->Mark
OK - I did an update on Tab Mix Plus and the far right "x" for closing
current tab is back. I didn't associate it with TMP at first but now
everything back to normal.

pop->Mark

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on
11/1/2013 10:11 AM:

> On 10/31/2013 10:07 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David E. Ross graced us with on
>>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>>>
>> I'm not seeing them on Seamonkey 2.22 on either the default or the
>> Modern themes.
>>

> I thought the original post in this thread referred to Thunderbird.  The
> message failed to indicate any application, and I never saw Xs on
> browser tabs in SeaMonkey.  Thus, I responded as if Thunderbird were
> meant.
>
> I don't use SeaMonkey's mail-news capability because I don't want to
> lose my current mail-news session when I switch browser profiles.
> Instead, I use Thunderbird.
>
> Actually, I prefer SeaMonkey's X at the far right of the browser tab
> bar.  My aged hand and aged eyes could too easily cause me to select the
> adjacent tab if the X were on each tab (as is currently done in
> Thunderbird).  With the X separate from the tabs, I won't accidentally
> close the wrong tab.

Yes, my initial thought was that the OP was referring to Fx and then I
noticed from his headers that he posted from Seamonkey. I hadn't
considered that it might be Seamonkey's mailnews component, though. The
OP needs to provide more detail, methinks.

--
Sailfish

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Trane Francks
On 11/1/13 7:59 PM +0900, Daniel wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>>

>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>
> And, like Sailfish, I'm not seeing "X"'s in any tabs, just on extreme
> right of TAB bar.

That's how I've always seen it in SM 2.x

--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Trane Francks    [hidden email]    Tokyo, Japan

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

Ron Hunter
On 11/1/2013 5:59 AM, Daniel wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/31/2013 3:45 PM, stan pierce wrote:
>>> I find the current requirement for closing a tab to be a nuisance when
>>> it is much simpler with an 'X' in every tab.
>>>

>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>
> And, like Sailfish, I'm not seeing "X"'s in any tabs, just on extreme
> right of TAB bar.

Not a good thing.  Now you have to right-click, and choose 'close tab'.
  NOT convenient!

On 11/02/2013 10:52 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/1/2013 5:59 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>>>

>>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>>
>> And, like Sailfish, I'm not seeing "X"'s in any tabs, just on extreme
>> right of TAB bar.
>>
> Not a good thing.  Now you have to right-click, and choose 'close tab'.
>   NOT convenient!

In SeaMonkey - yes
In Firefox - no, there is an x on every tab

Re: 'X' in every tab gone forever?

F1Com
On 11/2/2013 7:52 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard

> On 11/1/2013 5:59 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>>>
>>> I still see an X in every tab except for the first tab.
>> And, like Sailfish, I'm not seeing "X"'s in any tabs, just on extreme
>> right of TAB bar.
>>
> Not a good thing.  Now you have to right-click, and choose 'close tab'.
>    NOT convenient!

Ctrl-W doesn't close it? I would think it would be the same as FF.