Writing multilanguage extensions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Writing multilanguage extensions

lippoliv
Hey there,
currently I'm writing my fifth bugzilla extension, and now it is the
same problem again: multilanguage.

As you may now, I'm a !german! software developer and I'm working for
the DAVID GmbH (http://www.david-bs.de [currently just an german
website]). We're using Bugzilla 3.0.4 with Germzilla (version unknown)
which is simply an german-translation-template-package of Bugzilla :)

So now we're near to the problem: there is template/LANG/(default|
custom)/mytemplatefile.html.tmpl; what is the equal to extensions? If
I have

extensions/myExtension/template/de/irgendwas
extensions/myExtension/template/en/irgendwas

and the extension should just run "alert('hi');" it would be displayed
in two times, one for extensions/template/de and one for extensions/
template/en ...


So now I have to display an message in my new extension, if the user
is from germany, the message should be displayed in german, if the
user is not from germany, the message should be displayed in english.

Is there anyway to make this get real?

Warm reguards an thanks for helping me :)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

Max Kanat-Alexander
On 07/23/2010 01:27 AM, lippoliv wrote:
> currently I'm writing my fifth bugzilla extension,

        Wow, that's awesome! :-)

> We're using Bugzilla 3.0.4

        Ah, that's your problem. The extensions system was completely
re-written in Bugzilla 3.6, and now works much better. You should
upgrade to 3.6.

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Competent, Friendly Bugzilla and Perl Services. Everything Else, too.
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

lippoliv
In reply to this post by lippoliv
On 23 Jul., 11:33, Max Kanat-Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 07/23/2010 01:27 AM, lippoliv wrote:
>
> > currently I'm writing my fifth bugzilla extension,
>
>         Wow, that's awesome! :-)

But didn't say anything :P :)

> > We're using Bugzilla 3.0.4
>
>         Ah, that's your problem. The extensions system was completely
> re-written in Bugzilla 3.6, and now works much better. You should
> upgrade to 3.6.
>

And this is the problem: in fact, that I customized bugzilla over one
and a half year, its much different to the current version, we've
things like PDF-export of Bug-Lists, some Bugfixes, a completly
different design (which needed to modify the templates), sortable
buglists (ASC as well as DESC)...
It's a lot of work to update (because I don't know bugzilla when I
start to edit it, didn't used extensions for example), this are high
costs for my employer...

So may I have to download the newest version and look how hard it is
to upgrade :/


So then say: Is this language-switch working in BZ 3.6 AND when does
the next version of Bugzilla comes out?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

lippoliv
On 23 Jul., 11:43, lippoliv <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 Jul., 11:33, Max Kanat-Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 07/23/2010 01:27 AM, lippoliv wrote:
>
> > > currently I'm writing my fifth bugzilla extension,
>
> >         Wow, that's awesome! :-)
>
> But didn't say anything :P :)
>
> > > We're using Bugzilla 3.0.4
>
> >         Ah, that's your problem. The extensions system was completely
> > re-written in Bugzilla 3.6, and now works much better. You should
> > upgrade to 3.6.
>
> And this is the problem: in fact, that I customized bugzilla over one
> and a half year, its much different to the current version, we've
> things like PDF-export of Bug-Lists, some Bugfixes, a completly
> different design (which needed to modify the templates), sortable
> buglists (ASC as well as DESC)...
> It's a lot of work to update (because I don't know bugzilla when I
> start to edit it, didn't used extensions for example), this are high
> costs for my employer...
>
> So may I have to download the newest version and look how hard it is
> to upgrade :/
>
> So then say: Is this language-switch working in BZ 3.6 AND when does
> the next version of Bugzilla comes out?

PS: THANKS Max, your very active in here :)
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

Marc Schumann
In reply to this post by lippoliv
Oliver,

yeah, your easiest way probably is upgrading.

Btw, you can find your German translation's version in
template/de/default/global/gzversion.html.tmpl. It's being displayed
in the top right corner of Bugzilla's front page, too.

   Regards
      Marc

2010/7/23 lippoliv <[hidden email]>:
> As you may now, I'm a !german! software developer and I'm working for
> the DAVID GmbH (http://www.david-bs.de [currently just an german
> website]). We're using Bugzilla 3.0.4 with Germzilla (version unknown)
> which is simply an german-translation-template-package of Bugzilla :)
[...]
> Is there anyway to make this get real?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

Max Kanat-Alexander
In reply to this post by lippoliv
On 07/23/2010 02:43 AM, lippoliv wrote:
>>> currently I'm writing my fifth bugzilla extension,
>>
>>         Wow, that's awesome! :-)
>
> But didn't say anything :P :)

        Hahaha. Well, I think it's cool that you've written so many extensions.
Most people haven't written any. And I wrote the new Extensions system
for 3.6, so I like it when people write extensions (although more when
people write using the new system, of course :-) ).

> It's a lot of work to update (because I don't know bugzilla when I
> start to edit it, didn't used extensions for example), this are high
> costs for my employer...

        Yeah, I completely understand. :-) I know a lot of people in similar
situations--I've done a lot of upgrades of customized installations for
clients, bringing forward all the customizations and so forth.

> So then say: Is this language-switch working in BZ 3.6 AND when does
> the next version of Bugzilla comes out?

        Yes, Bugzilla 3.6 Extensions are fully localizable, and if you find
that they're not, then it's a bug and we'll fix it.

        We're hoping to have Bugzilla 4.0 in November, but that's a really
vague estimate right now. I can't make any promises or guarantees.

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Competent, Friendly Bugzilla and Perl Services. Everything Else, too.
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

lippoliv
In reply to this post by lippoliv
>         Hahaha. Well, I think it's cool that you've written so many extensions.
> Most people haven't written any. And I wrote the new Extensions system
> for 3.6, so I like it when people write extensions (although more when
> people write using the new system, of course :-) ).

Yea I remember, today in the mornig I read your post in this mailing-
list about rewriting the extension-system, but then I don't know, that
upgrading my bugzilla would be the only way to fix my problems...


>         We're hoping to have Bugzilla 4.0 in November, but that's a really
> vague estimate right now. I can't make any promises or guarantees.

That would be nice, getting Bugzilla 4.0 this year because on 31th of
december my employment is "running out", so if I start migrating to
BZ4.0 on start of December, may I'am not finished then and I could
stay in this company :)


I'd just tested 3.6 on ?landfill.bugzilla.org? and I think may we're
upgrading to this version of bugzilla, but thats not my decission.
Is there a book about changing the bugzilla design / customizing
bugzilla at all?
_______________________________________________
dev-apps-bugzilla mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-apps-bugzilla
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Writing multilanguage extensions

Max Kanat-Alexander
On 07/23/2010 03:17 AM, lippoliv wrote:
> Yea I remember, today in the mornig I read your post in this mailing-
> list about rewriting the extension-system, but then I don't know, that
> upgrading my bugzilla would be the only way to fix my problems...

        Ah, yeah. Well, hopefully upgrading will also get you some other good
things, too.

> That would be nice, getting Bugzilla 4.0 this year because on 31th of
> december my employment is "running out", so if I start migrating to
> BZ4.0 on start of December, may I'am not finished then and I could
> stay in this company :)

        That'd be good indeed, I'm sure! :-)

> I'd just tested 3.6 on ?landfill.bugzilla.org? and I think may we're
> upgrading to this version of bugzilla, but thats not my decission.

        Okay. :-)

> Is there a book about changing the bugzilla design / customizing
> bugzilla at all?

        No, but starting with 3.6, there are detailed docs for the Extensions
system:

        http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.6/en/html/api/Bugzilla/Extension.html

        -Max
--
http://www.everythingsolved.com/
Competent, Friendly Bugzilla and Perl Services. Everything Else, too.
-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>