Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

RAV-2
On 11/11/2017 8:18 PM, responder wrote:

> On 11/10/2017 9:38 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/10/17 7:57 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> On 10/11/2017 7:46 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Back in 1996, when I first got on-line, my ISP gave me two 5.25 inch
>>> floppy disks (Remember them?? Silly question ... of course all us
>>> "old fogies" here remember them!!).
>>>
>>> One disk had WinSock type programs, the other had Netscape 0.9 on it.
>>> I think I've still got that disk somewhere hereabouts!!
>>>

>> We used 5.25 inch floppies and punch tape at work for awhile.
>>
>> Still have an unused 3.5 inch floppy drive in my desktop computer.
>>
> And our first Stromberg-Carlson  DCO telecom switch recorded the call
> records on 20" Winchester tape drives

When I worked at the Richmond Data Center of C&P Telephone back in the
70's (predecessor of Verizon, and before the breakup of AT&T), the
records of every long distance call were recorded on gigantic (like 6
feet in diameter), many inch wide rolls of punched paper tape.  I used
to see people transferring multiple rolls at a time down the hallways in
large bins.  I was told that during high call volumes, all calls were
given a "free" second of call time because the paper tape recorders
would get behind.  Multipled by millions and millions of calls, the
phone company lost a fair amount of money on those recording delays.

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Daniel
On 12/11/2017 5:31 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

<Snip>

> I took an RPG programming language course on one, I think.

What?? You were working on Role Playing Games way back then!! ;-P

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Mark12547
In article <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] says...

> On 12/11/2017 5:31 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
> > I took an RPG programming language course on one, I think.
> >
> What?? You were working on Role Playing Games way back then!! ;-P

The RPG would be Report Program Generator. About the same time I was
punching cards of programs written in Fortran and COBOL, three were
business machines from IBM that were primarily running RPG.

On 13/11/2017 2:43 AM, Mark12547 wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] says...
>> On 12/11/2017 5:31 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> I took an RPG programming language course on one, I think.
>>>
>> What?? You were working on Role Playing Games way back then!! ;-P
>
> The RPG would be Report Program Generator. About the same time I was
> punching cards of programs written in Fortran and COBOL, three were
> business machines from IBM that were primarily running RPG.

Thanks Mark. I figured the "RPG" in Ron's post was probably some sort of
computer programming language.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Ray_Net
Daniel wrote on 13-11-17 13:08:

> On 13/11/2017 2:43 AM, Mark12547 wrote:
>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>> [hidden email] says...
>>> On 12/11/2017 5:31 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> What?? You were working on Role Playing Games way back then!! ;-P
>>
>> The RPG would be Report Program Generator. About the same time I was
>> punching cards of programs written in Fortran and COBOL, three were
>> business machines from IBM that were primarily running RPG.
>>
> Thanks Mark. I figured the "RPG" in Ron's post was probably some sort
> of computer programming language.

RPG is a programming language and is compiled with an RPG-Compiler.
The resultant code is interpreted as a machine language, when the
mainframe in an RPG-mainframe - or interpreted by an rpg-interpreter
when the mainframe is not an rpg-mainframe.

On 14/11/2017 3:22 AM, Ray_Net wrote:

> Daniel wrote on 13-11-17 13:08:
>> On 13/11/2017 2:43 AM, Mark12547 wrote:
>>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>>> [hidden email] says...

>>> The RPG would be Report Program Generator. About the same time I was
>>> punching cards of programs written in Fortran and COBOL, three were
>>> business machines from IBM that were primarily running RPG.
>>>
>> Thanks Mark. I figured the "RPG" in Ron's post was probably some sort
>> of computer programming language.
>>
> RPG is a programming language and is compiled with an RPG-Compiler.
> The resultant code is interpreted as a machine language, when the
> mainframe in an RPG-mainframe - or interpreted by an rpg-interpreter
> when the mainframe is not an rpg-mainframe.

So, Ray, are you suggesting that a RPG-Compiler does not compile the RPG
code into straight machine code??

If so, one wonders what the benefit of programming in RPG is!!

Daniel wrote on 14-11-17 09:41:

> On 14/11/2017 3:22 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
>> Daniel wrote on 13-11-17 13:08:

>>> Thanks Mark. I figured the "RPG" in Ron's post was probably some
>>> sort of computer programming language.
>>>
>> RPG is a programming language and is compiled with an RPG-Compiler.
>> The resultant code is interpreted as a machine language, when the
>> mainframe in an RPG-mainframe - or interpreted by an rpg-interpreter
>> when the mainframe is not an rpg-mainframe.
>
> So, Ray, are you suggesting that a RPG-Compiler does not compile the
> RPG code into straight machine code??
>
> If so, one wonders what the benefit of programming in RPG is!!

Perhaps you are true, rpg code can be executed immediately by an
rpg-machine.
The compiler is just used to check if the rpg-code is correct.
I was working on an algol-machine who needs an rpg-interpreter to be
able to exécute the code generated by the rpg-compiler.
Normally mainframe compiler did not create a machine-executalbe-code
when the language is not the machine-language; in that case the compiler
generate a code "to-be-interpreted" at execute-phase.

On 15/11/2017 2:04 AM, Ray_Net wrote:

> Daniel wrote on 14-11-17 09:41:

>>> RPG is a programming language and is compiled with an RPG-Compiler.
>>> The resultant code is interpreted as a machine language, when the
>>> mainframe in an RPG-mainframe - or interpreted by an rpg-interpreter
>>> when the mainframe is not an rpg-mainframe.
>>
>> So, Ray, are you suggesting that a RPG-Compiler does not compile the
>> RPG code into straight machine code??
>>
>> If so, one wonders what the benefit of programming in RPG is!!
>>
> Perhaps you are true, rpg code can be executed immediately by an
> rpg-machine.
> The compiler is just used to check if the rpg-code is correct.
> I was working on an algol-machine who needs an rpg-interpreter to be
> able to exécute the code generated by the rpg-compiler.
> Normally mainframe compiler did not create a machine-executalbe-code
> when the language is not the machine-language; in that case the compiler
> generate a code "to-be-interpreted" at execute-phase.

Back in the 1980's, I used to write programs in BASIC, which you could
then run on a BASIC interrupter or which you could run through a
Compiler which would then produce an ".exe" file/program, which you
could then run directly on a DOS-based computer without any need for an
active compiler.

I had my suspicions that, as part of the compiler process, part of the
compiler was included in the ".exe" file, as a 1kByte BASIC program
could be compiled into a 50kByte ".exe" program.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 12:17:28 -0500, Ed Mullen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>On 11/10/2017 at 4:41 PM, Lucifer Morningstar created this epitome of
>digital genius:
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:38:04 -0500, WaltS48 <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> We used 5.25 inch floppies and punch tape at work for awhile.
>>>
>>> Still have an unused 3.5 inch floppy drive in my desktop computer.
>>
>> I had an IBM System 34 mini computer. It had an autoloader 8"
>> floppy drive that could hold and load 10 floppy disks.
>>

>You personally had a System 34?!!! A company I worked for from 1978 to
>1986 got one to run the business in 1979.  Inventory, payroll, and some
>marketing tasks.

I got mine from an insurance broker. I took it home in a double horse
float and set it up in the corner of my garage. I got it with six
workstations and picked up a printer at an auction.
It had 2 x 65 MB hard drives.

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:18:53 -0500, responder <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>On 11/10/2017 9:38 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 11/10/17 7:57 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> On 10/11/2017 7:46 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Back in 1996, when I first got on-line, my ISP gave me two 5.25 inch
>>> floppy disks (Remember them?? Silly question ... of course all us "old
>>> fogies" here remember them!!).
>>>
>>> One disk had WinSock type programs, the other had Netscape 0.9 on it.
>>> I think I've still got that disk somewhere hereabouts!!
>>>

>> We used 5.25 inch floppies and punch tape at work for awhile.
>>
>> Still have an unused 3.5 inch floppy drive in my desktop computer.
>>
>And our first Stromberg-Carlson  DCO telecom switch recorded the call
>records on 20" Winchester tape drives

I have a Sun server which has a built in RAID controller.
In order to install Windows Server 2003 I had to have
it install a driver for the RAID controller first.
The only way the driver could be installed was from a
floppy drive.
Fortunately I have a Apple USB external floppy drive.