Work week best practices?

Chris Peterson-12
Do we have a wiki guide with best practices for planning and running a
productive work week?

I've attended a few work weeks with different teams and they are all run
a little differently. Work weeks are expensive (in company travel costs
and individuals' personal time), so a collection of sage advice on how
to run a productive work week would be valuable.

chris

Re: Work week best practices?

Karl Dubost
Chris,

Le 18 janv. 2014 à 13:13, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Do we have a wiki guide with best practices for planning and running a productive work week?

Good idea.
* I went to the page "People:Global Community",
  https://wiki.mozilla.org/People:Global_Community
* Searched for something related to participation.
* Found "How Can You Get Involved"
  https://wiki.mozilla.org/People:Global_Community#How_Can_You_Get_Involved
* Created the "Work Week" item
  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Work_Week
* Started to edit it.

Please add your own quick tips on the Work Week page.
Then the gardening will happen little by little.

PS: My own pro wiki quick tip: Never starts a page from nothing, always start from another page. It helps to grow organically, without orphan pages and help people find their way after by navigating.

--
Karl Dubost, Mozilla
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/moz

Re: Work week best practices?

Ehsan Akhgari
As someone who doesn't have the easiest time traveling around the world, it
has always bothered me how inaccessible our work weeks are for people who
cannot physically attend.  I have been unable to physically attend several
work weeks in the past, and that has caused me to miss out on a whole bunch
of conversations happened there.  I have tried dialing into some of the
work week sessions in the past but I've found out that it's really hard to
hear everybody who is speaking in a room without proper video conferencing
in place, and even harder to engage in conversations when everybody else is
in the same room.

But I think we can do better here.  I'm planning to try and record some
(hopefully all!) sessions at the next week's DOM/WebAPI/Accessibility work
week and put it all on youtube for people to watch later on.  This will be
a good experiment, and I'll try to remember to post the results back here!

Cheers,

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Do we have a wiki guide with best practices for planning and running a
> productive work week?
>
> I've attended a few work weeks with different teams and they are all run a
> little differently. Work weeks are expensive (in company travel costs and
> individuals' personal time), so a collection of sage advice on how to run a
> productive work week would be valuable.
>

> chris

Re: Work week best practices?

Mike Hoye
On 1/21/2014, 1:55 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

> As someone who doesn't have the easiest time traveling around the world, it
> has always bothered me how inaccessible our work weeks are for people who
> cannot physically attend.  I have been unable to physically attend several
> work weeks in the past, and that has caused me to miss out on a whole bunch
> of conversations happened there.  I have tried dialing into some of the
> work week sessions in the past but I've found out that it's really hard to
> hear everybody who is speaking in a room without proper video conferencing
> in place, and even harder to engage in conversations when everybody else is
> in the same room.

Yeah, putting a vidyo machine up in a crowded room doesn't work at all.

Having said that, we're currently having decent success at DashCon by
making sure that all of the presentations are being made via Vidyo and
repeating audience questions back so that anyone offsite can get the
full experience.

As well, one of the breakout sessions is using Vidyo to include offsite
people to small-group conversations. That won't scale up, but if people
are disciplined about switching to video conferencing if somebody remote
should be a part of a 2-4 person conversation, that seems like an
approach that works.

- mhoye

Re: Work week best practices?

Cameron McCormack-4
On 22/01/2014 8:55 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> But I think we can do better here.  I'm planning to try and record some
> (hopefully all!) sessions at the next week's DOM/WebAPI/Accessibility work
> week and put it all on youtube for people to watch later on.  This will be
> a good experiment, and I'll try to remember to post the results back here!

One of the great things that came out of last year's Graphics/Layout
work week in Taipei was a few recorded presentations (khuey's CC intro,
roc's Mozilla culture/reviewing talks, etc.) that then ended up on Air
Mozilla.  If there are any suitably self contained presentations like
this at other work weeks I'd really encourage people to make sure they
get recorded!

Re: Work week best practices?

Stormy Peters-6
It seems like we could very easily gather a lot of useful data.

For past data, the finance group could provide number of work weeks,
attendees, location, etc. In the future, we could follow up with a short
survey so we could correlate success with different factors.

Good questions might include what stage is your project in, how many people
were at the work week, was it mostly individual working sessions,
discussion sessions or presentations, how important were the free time/get
together/team building activities, was it just your project's team or did
you invite other team representatives, was that useful, how big was the
group, how productive was this offsite compared to others you have
attended, how good did you feel about your project after this offsite
compared to before, how many miles were traveled on average by a
participant, how long was the offsite (3 days vs 5 days), ....

Over time we might develop some really interesting data and best practices.

Stormy

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Do we have a wiki guide with best practices for planning and running a
> productive work week?
>
> I've attended a few work weeks with different teams and they are all run a
> little differently. Work weeks are expensive (in company travel costs and
> individuals' personal time), so a collection of sage advice on how to run a
> productive work week would be valuable.
>

> chris

Re: Work week best practices?

Rob Campbell-5
Applying science and process to work weeks seems like a thing you could do. But every group is different. I'd be pretty leery of trying to institute processes over the whole organization as some teams (like ours) have pretty successful meetups and I'd hate to ruin that in favor of something more formulaic.

I tend to think of a successful work week (or Team Meetup as they're preferentially called in some circles) as one we exit with some good outputs. A started (or sometimes even finished) feature or hack that we can turn into a feature is a pretty solid outcome for a meetup. Further work on one of our engineering goals could be another -- knocking down bug lists. Designs or documentation for a feature to be implemented could be another output. Sometimes the output might be a better understanding and working relationship with your team. Some things are harder to quantify.

A format that's worked well for us (Firefox Developer Tools) in the past has been:
* Monday: a day of frame-setting and lightning talks. We get these out of the way early.
* Tuesday through Thursday are reserved for hacking. Often the first day will set a theme for people to choose their hack targets around.
* Friday hacking followed by demoes.

Sometimes we have shorter meetups than others so we'll compress the middle part. We try to encourage people to travel before the week starts so we don't have people missing out on the introductions.

This has worked well for us in the past, and hopefully will continue to do so. I think this could be translated to other parts of the org as well. As long as you come out of it with some solid material, that should be considered successful.

also, crepes.

Rob