Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Aaron Leventhal-3
http://ericulous.com/2008/07/03/wordpress-25-vs-26-changes-in-the-theme-codes/

Cool! Everyone doing static HTML pages can easily add this to their form
fields, for improved flexibility.

Spread the word :)

- Aaron

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Steve Lee-3
On 03/07/2008, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://ericulous.com/2008/07/03/wordpress-25-vs-26-changes-in-the-theme-codes/
>
>  Cool! Everyone doing static HTML pages can easily add this to their form
>  fields, for improved flexibility.

Thanks Aaron,  I dropped that into the Jambu website.

I'm not sure of the need for the hidden label on the search form as I
already have one. Perhaps that is specific to my 3rd party theme which
claims to be accessible? Can any one explain?
http://jambu.fullmeasure.co.uk/index.php?s=zzz

Oh I notified the theme author.

It looks like I have some work to do on tab order for keyboard access
and how it plays with the 'skip to' links.

--
Steve Lee

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Victor Tsaran
Yet people also have to remember to mark that field with a textual
identifier, like *, for browser that do not recognize ARIA.
Victor

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> http://ericulous.com/2008/07/03/wordpress-25-vs-26-changes-in-the-theme-codes/
>

> Cool! Everyone doing static HTML pages can easily add this to their form
> fields, for improved flexibility.
>
> Spread the word :)
>
> - Aaron

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Steve Lee-3
Hi Victor, I don't quite folow that.

The blog said add a hidden label (display:none) to the search page:

<label class="hidden" for="s">Search for:</label>

but I already have:

<label for="s">Enter your search terms<br />
    <input class="med" type="text" value="zzz" name="s" id="s" />
<input class="button" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" title="Search
Jambu" value="Go" /></label>

So is that hidden label adding anything useful?
Perhaps being right at the top of the page is good for screen readers?
Perhaps the themes the blog refers to was missing the label that my theme has?

Steve

2008/7/4 Victor Tsaran <[hidden email]>:

> Yet people also have to remember to mark that field with a textual
> identifier, like *, for browser that do not recognize ARIA.
> Victor
>
> Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>> http://ericulous.com/2008/07/03/wordpress-25-vs-26-changes-in-the-theme-codes/
>>

>> Cool! Everyone doing static HTML pages can easily add this to their form
>> fields, for improved flexibility.
>>
>> Spread the word :)
>>
>> - Aaron

Steve Lee
--
Open Source Assistive Technology Software
web: fullmeasure.co.uk
blog: eduspaces.net/stevelee/weblog

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Victor Tsaran
Hi Steve,
My apologies; my comment was not specific to your particular Wordpress
theme. In general, I meant to say that in addition to ARIA hint, we
should remember to provide fall-back technique until ARIA becomes fully
adopted.

Steve Lee wrote:

> Hi Victor, I don't quite folow that.
>
> The blog said add a hidden label (display:none) to the search page:
>
> <label class="hidden" for="s">Search for:</label>
>
> but I already have:
>
> <label for="s">Enter your search terms<br />
>     <input class="med" type="text" value="zzz" name="s" id="s" />
> <input class="button" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" title="Search
> Jambu" value="Go" /></label>
>
> So is that hidden label adding anything useful?
> Perhaps being right at the top of the page is good for screen readers?
> Perhaps the themes the blog refers to was missing the label that my theme has?
>
> Steve
>
> 2008/7/4 Victor Tsaran <[hidden email]>:
>> Yet people also have to remember to mark that field with a textual
>> identifier, like *, for browser that do not recognize ARIA.
>> Victor
>>
>> Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>>> http://ericulous.com/2008/07/03/wordpress-25-vs-26-changes-in-the-theme-codes/
>>>

>>> Cool! Everyone doing static HTML pages can easily add this to their form
>>> fields, for improved flexibility.
>>>
>>> Spread the word :)
>>>
>>> - Aaron

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Steve Lee-3
Ah, sorry victor, that's a good point to keep in mind.

Steve

2008/7/4 Victor Tsaran <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Steve,
> My apologies; my comment was not specific to your particular Wordpress
> theme. In general, I meant to say that in addition to ARIA hint, we
> should remember to provide fall-back technique until ARIA becomes fully
> adopted.
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Lee wrote:
>> Hi Victor, I don't quite folow that.
>>
>> The blog said add a hidden label (display:none) to the search page:
>>
>> <label class="hidden" for="s">Search for:</label>
>>
>> but I already have:
>>
>> <label for="s">Enter your search terms<br />
>>     <input class="med" type="text" value="zzz" name="s" id="s" />
>> <input class="button" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" title="Search
>> Jambu" value="Go" /></label>
>>
>> So is that hidden label adding anything useful?
>> Perhaps being right at the top of the page is good for screen readers?
>> Perhaps the themes the blog refers to was missing the label that my theme has?
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> 2008/7/4 Victor Tsaran <[hidden email]>:
>>> Yet people also have to remember to mark that field with a textual
>>> identifier, like *, for browser that do not recognize ARIA.
>>> Victor

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Tom Brunet
Regarding the use of the asterisk to mark required fields.  I was
running through some examples that used this several months ago, and
realized that one of the screen readers (I think Window-Eyes) did not
read the asterisk with the default settings.  The reason was that it was
not reading math symbols and hence skipped over it.  Is there a more
reliable symbol/technique, or is asterisk pretty much as good as it gets
without writing out (required)?

Re: Wordpress now uses aria-required="true" to tell screen reader users which fields are required

Jason White-14
On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:19:09AM -0500, Thomas Brunet wrote:
> Regarding the use of the asterisk to mark required fields.  I was
> running through some examples that used this several months ago, and
> realized that one of the screen readers (I think Window-Eyes) did not
> read the asterisk with the default settings.  The reason was that it was
> not reading math symbols and hence skipped over it.  Is there a more
> reliable symbol/technique, or is asterisk pretty much as good as it gets
> without writing out (required)?

Probably not, because you don't know how the user has their "punctuation"
option set. This is really the user's problem rather than the Web content
author's.

Of course, those of us with braille displays won't encounter any difficulty.

Maybe you could just include a notice such as "* indicates a required field".

Label Syntax

mozilla accessibility

From: "Steve Lee" <[hidden email]>
To: "Victor Tsaran" <[hidden email]>

<label for="s">Enter your search terms<br />
    <input class="med" type="text" value="zzz" name="s" id="s" />
<input class="button" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" title="Search
Jambu" value="Go" /></label>

There are two forms of the label tag. One nests the controls being label
inside the tag. This has never worked well and is, to my knowledge,
depricated in favor of the explicit form.

The explicit form uses the for attribute to attach the label to a specific
form element via its id attribute. the above should be written like this:

    <input class="med" type="text" value="zzz" name="s" id="s" />
<input class="button" type="submit" id="searchsubmit" title="Search
Jambu" value="Go" />

Re: Label Syntax

Steve Lee-3
2008/7/8 Rich Caloggero <[hidden email]>:
> There are two forms of the label tag. One nests the controls being label
> inside the tag. This has never worked well and is, to my knowledge,
> depricated in favor of the explicit form.

Thanks Rich.

The strange thing is that I ended up with 2 labels for 's' with my
theme. I wondered if there might be any reason other than, as I
suspect, there are 2 different 'patches' at work here to add labels.

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility