With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Sailfish-4
REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92

[excerpt quote=\"
The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
\" /]

Linux, is there anything it can't do?

--
Sailfish

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Ron Hunter
On 1/12/2014 1:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
> \" /]
>
> Linux, is there anything it can't do?

It doesn't sing and dance too well.  Grin.  But they are working on a
module...  Grin..

RM

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

RM
Sailfish decreed, Read These Runes!:

> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
> \" /]
>
> Linux, is there anything it can't do?

My anti gravity machine is still a work in progress.  Mostly it's a
problem with proprietary firmware ;-)

--
"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it."
                -- Alex Schure

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

PhillipJones-2
Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
> \" /]
>
> Linux, is there anything it can't do?

And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.

I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
their neighbor when they get ticked off.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.      "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Erness Wild
RM wrote:

> Sailfish decreed, Read These Runes!:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>
> My anti gravity machine is still a work in progress.  Mostly it's a
> problem with proprietary firmware ;-)

Funny you mention of anti gravity machine, jokingly. Have you ever read
about the Coral Castle museum in Florida. Seems, for real it was built
using just that. I know, I know . . . too far fetched.

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Ed Mullen-7
Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
> \" /]
>
> Linux, is there anything it can't do?

It can't do Windows like Windows.  For me?  A deal breaker considering
all the programs I have.  Besides, I'm not a Windows basher, it works
for me.  And I have tried Linux in various flavors in the past and found
it hugely wanting in terms of app support, visual appeal, compatibility,
etc.  Sorry, I'll pay for what works.  Free doesn't impress me and that
seems to be the major appeal of Linux.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what RM graced us with on 1/12/2014 2:04 PM:

> Sailfish decreed, Read These Runes!:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>
> My anti gravity machine is still a work in progress.  Mostly it's a
> problem with proprietary firmware ;-)

ah, it must be the bits Microsoft added or, possibly, some old Java API
stuff left over from SUN Microsystems.

--
Sailfish

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ed Mullen graced us with on
1/12/2014 5:25 PM:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>
> It can't do Windows like Windows.  For me?  A deal breaker considering
> all the programs I have.  Besides, I'm not a Windows basher, it works
> for me.  And I have tried Linux in various flavors in the past and found
> it hugely wanting in terms of app support, visual appeal, compatibility,
> etc.  Sorry, I'll pay for what works.  Free doesn't impress me and that
> seems to be the major appeal of Linux.

Yep, I still prefer Windows over Linux but more and more I'm beginning
to empathize with horse and buggy owners in the early days of the
combustible engine, dagnabbit!

--
Sailfish
RM

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

RM
PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>
> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>
> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
> their neighbor when they get ticked off.

Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
at all.

Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.

I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
ticket now and then.

An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.

--
As Zeus said to Narcissus, "Watch yourself."

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Dennis-77
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>

> It can't do Windows like Windows.  For me?  A deal breaker considering
> all the programs I have.  Besides, I'm not a Windows basher, it works
> for me.  And I have tried Linux in various flavors in the past and found
> it hugely wanting in terms of app support, visual appeal, compatibility,
> etc.  Sorry, I'll pay for what works.  Free doesn't impress me and that
> seems to be the major appeal of Linux.

I would strongly disagree with that free "seems to be the major appeal
of Linux" statement. Free as in dollars is just a bonus. Free as in open
source, is a way of life. The appeal for me is the flexibility. All the
things you like about windows is exactly /part/ of the list of reasons I
like linux. I paid for windows twice and it did not function nearly as
well as linux, for me. All the applications I need or want are readily
available, from CAD to office to accounting to graphics to video to
audio to audio/video editing to everything internet to development to
even the niceties of a good looking GUI. The display in windows has
always been worse for me than with linux. Windows beats up my eyes
something terrible. Your tainted view of linux must have started a long
time ago with a preconceived bias and a lack of desire to advance even a
little.

You mentioned in another thread about not renaming audio files to remove
the spaces. I have no less than three programs (yes, the pretty GUI type
applications, not just command line) that will do a batch rename of any
number of audio files in a folder or nested folders. Makes me think you
are lazy or don't seem to care about anyone but you! I could be wrong,
after all, I was wrong once.

Dennis

On 1/12/2014 4:54 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>
> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>
> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
> their neighbor when they get ticked off.

Beats wasting a whole magazine spraying bullets around the neighborhood!

On 1/12/2014 9:18 PM, RM wrote:

> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>>
>> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>>
>> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
>> their neighbor when they get ticked off.
>
> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
> at all.
>
> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>
> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
> ticket now and then.
>
> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.

A secure society, as well.
It is interesting that the state with the lowest murder rate last year
also is a state with no laws against carrying a weapon, much less having
one.  On the other hand, states with the strictest gun control laws seem
to have the highest murder rates.  Doesn't anyone ever look at these
numbers?
And the state with the highest murder rate?  Louisiana.  Maybe it
because it is so easy to get rid of the evidence....

RM wrote:

> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>>
>> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>>
>> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
>> their neighbor when they get ticked off.
>
> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
> at all.
>
> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>
> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
> ticket now and then.
>
> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.

What happens when you have in the set and the software/hardware goes bad
or someone remotely and shoots your "uH-Huh"

Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 1/12/2014 9:18 PM, RM wrote:
>> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

>>> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
>>> their neighbor when they get ticked off.
>>
>> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
>> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
>> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
>> at all.
>>
>> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>>
>> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
>> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
>> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
>> ticket now and then.
>>
>> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.
>>
> A secure society, as well.
> It is interesting that the state with the lowest murder rate last year
> also is a state with no laws against carrying a weapon, much less having
> one.  On the other hand, states with the strictest gun control laws seem
> to have the highest murder rates.  Doesn't anyone ever look at these
> numbers?
> And the state with the highest murder rate?  Louisiana.  Maybe it
> because it is so easy to get rid of the evidence....

Throw them to 'gators.

RM

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

RM
PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

> RM wrote:
>> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

>>> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
>>> their neighbor when they get ticked off.
>>
>> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
>> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
>> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
>> at all.
>>
>> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>>
>> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
>> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
>> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
>> ticket now and then.
>>
>> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.
>>
> What happens when you have in the set and the software/hardware goes bad
> or someone remotely and shoots your "uH-Huh"

What happens if the moon falls out of orbit and lands in/on your county?

--
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect 'Hungry' ..."

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Frank-32
On 1/12/2014 2:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>
> [excerpt quote=\"
> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
> \" /]
>
> Linux, is there anything it can't do?

Saw this a few days ago in the American Rifleman:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/early-remington-2020-system-adopter

On 1/13/2014 5:29 PM, PhillipJones wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 1/12/2014 9:18 PM, RM wrote:
>>> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

>>> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
>>> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
>>> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>>>
>>> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
>>> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
>>> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
>>> ticket now and then.
>>>
>>> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.
>>>
>> A secure society, as well.
>> It is interesting that the state with the lowest murder rate last year
>> also is a state with no laws against carrying a weapon, much less having
>> one.  On the other hand, states with the strictest gun control laws seem
>> to have the highest murder rates.  Doesn't anyone ever look at these
>> numbers?
>> And the state with the highest murder rate?  Louisiana.  Maybe it
>> because it is so easy to get rid of the evidence....
>>

> Throw them to 'gators.

Yes.  Now we see why the alligators have made such a great comeback from
the endangered species list..  SOylent Green!

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what PhillipJones graced us with on
1/13/2014 3:02 PM:

> RM wrote:
>> PhillipJones decreed, Read These Runes!:

>>> And it should be illegal to Manufacture except for military use. Only.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the NRA types will buy in droves to shoot Rabbit or Squirrel,or
>>> their neighbor when they get ticked off.
>>
>> Why, NO Phillip.  I'd might buy one to defend myself from anyone who
>> tried to do me bodily harm.  Or just to hang in my rear window.  Or just
>> to take out and lay next to my bible and stare at.  Or maybe not buy one
>> at all.
>>
>> Point is, I have the freedom from my Creator to do any of the above.
>>
>> I live out here in the "wild west" where just about everyone, including
>> old ladies, is armed.  We don't even have a police department.  County
>> sheriff drives through a couple of times a day.  Gives out a speeding
>> ticket now and then.
>>
>> An armed society is a polite society; but you know that.
>>
> What happens when you have in the set and the software/hardware goes bad
> or someone remotely and shoots your "uH-Huh"

Everyone knows, "uH-Huh Happens!" :-)

--
Sailfish

Re: With This New Rifle, Anyone Can Hit a Moving Target at 500 Yards

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Frank graced us with on 1/13/2014
4:04 PM:

> On 1/12/2014 2:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>
>> [excerpt quote=\"
>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>> \" /]
>>
>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>
> Saw this a few days ago in the American Rifleman:
>
> http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/early-remington-2020-system-adopter

Pretty high-tech. One's got to love the model number, 2020 :-)

On 1/13/2014 8:10 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Frank graced us with on 1/13/2014
> 4:04 PM:
>> On 1/12/2014 2:37 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> REF: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/4d355426cb92
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote=\"
>>> The TrackingPoint ballistic computer runs off Linux and is about the
>>> size of a pint glass. It has the same set of built-in sensors as a tank.
>>> The shooter acquires the target in the built-in heads-up display and
>>> places a red ‘X’ over it. This locks the rifle on the target. The
>>> shooter pulls the trigger, but the rifle doesn’t fire—yet.
>>> \" /]
>>>
>>> Linux, is there anything it can't do?
>>
>> Saw this a few days ago in the American Rifleman:
>>
>> http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/early-remington-2020-system-adopter
>>
> Pretty high-tech. One's got to love the model number, 2020 :-)

The system was probably designed for snipers, but as implemented by
Remington, it should be suitable for hunters.  I can't imagine using
something like that for anything less than bear, or other very large,
and dangerous, game, just because of the price.

I can imagine police SWAT teams buying the original version for large
cities, though.