Wishlist: Thunderbird - Add Spell Check Suggestion words

Wishlist: Thunderbird - Add Spell Check Suggestion words

Jason Grunstra
I know that I can add words to the dictionary. But what about adding
words to the suggested replace words list?

As an example, I'll often spell dont without the apostrophe. Thunderbird
thinks I meant donut. Nowhere in the list of suggested words is the
correct spelling of don't. But it should be, and probably near the top.

Thanks!

Re: Wishlist: Thunderbird - Add Spell Check Suggestion words

Matt Nordhoff
On 10/16/05 03:49, Jason Grunstra wrote:
> I know that I can add words to the dictionary. But what about adding
> words to the suggested replace words list?
>
> As an example, I'll often spell dont without the apostrophe. Thunderbird
> thinks I meant donut. Nowhere in the list of suggested words is the
> correct spelling of don't. But it should be, and probably near the top.
>
> Thanks!

I agree. Thunderbird didn't have a clue for one thing I used to
frequently misspell (thanks to it, though, I've now got the proper
spelling in my head), so I ended up manally adding it to
<Thunderbird>/components/myspell/en-US.aff, which worked, but wasn't the
prettiest solution.

You know, it's funny what the spell-checker suggests sometimes. It
suggested your last name be replaced with "Unstrapping". It should admit
defeat more often instead of just coming up with something crazy.
--
Replace the point in my email address with a period to reply. ;-)

On 10/16/05 18:47, Matt Nordhoff wrote:

> On 10/16/05 03:49, Jason Grunstra wrote:
>> I know that I can add words to the dictionary. But what about adding
>> words to the suggested replace words list?
>>
>> As an example, I'll often spell dont without the apostrophe.
>> Thunderbird thinks I meant donut. Nowhere in the list of suggested
>> words is the correct spelling of don't. But it should be, and probably
>> near the top.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I agree. Thunderbird didn't have a clue for one thing I used to
> frequently misspell (thanks to it, though, I've now got the proper
> spelling in my head), so I ended up manally adding it to
> <Thunderbird>/components/myspell/en-US.aff, which worked, but wasn't the
> prettiest solution.
>
> You know, it's funny what the spell-checker suggests sometimes. It
> suggested your last name be replaced with "Unstrapping". It should admit
> defeat more often instead of just coming up with something crazy.

Oh, heck. I left the "manally" typo in to see what the spell-checker
would do, but then I was distracted and hit 'Send' and so it didn't
correct it. Oh well. Looks like it does properly want to replace it with
"manually".

--
Replace the point in my email address with a period to reply. ;-)