Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

RAV-2
Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button click,
i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

EE-2
Rav wrote:
> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
> middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
> clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
> middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
> happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
> make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button click,
> i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
> .
Thunderbird is not a browser.  If you left-click the link, that should
open Firefox (or whatever your default browser is).  If Firefox is set
up to open links in a new tab, that should happen automatically.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

RAV-2
EE wrote:

> Rav wrote:
>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
>> middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
>> clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
>> middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
>> happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
>> make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button
>> click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>> .
> Thunderbird is not a browser.  If you left-click the link, that should
> open Firefox (or whatever your default browser is).  If Firefox is set
> up to open links in a new tab, that should happen automatically.

Of course I know that Thunderbird isn't a browser -- it's an e-mail and
news client.  As I pointed out, I already know that left-clicking the
link in TB opens Firefox.  But since Thunderbird and Firefox are both
produced by Mozilla, I thought it made sense from a user-friendliness
point of view to have both products act as similarly as possible (as in
many cases, they do).  I was proposing a behavior that would make it
easier for people who use both products (as many do) to be able to use
them in similar ways.  Middle-clicking to open a link in a new tab is
not innately a "browser" feature -- the Firefox developers had to decide
it was a "good thing" to do, and then they implemented it.  I'm
proposing that Thunderbird also work that way, so that people who are
used to middle-clicking in Firefox can also middle-click in Thunderbird.
  That's why it's a wish -- I realize it doesn't work that way today.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

Herre de Jonge
Rav wrote:

> EE wrote:
>> Rav wrote:
>>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with
>>> the middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used
>>> to clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click
>>> the middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet
>>> this happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that
>>> would make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse
>>> button click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>>> .
>> Thunderbird is not a browser.  If you left-click the link, that should
>> open Firefox (or whatever your default browser is).  If Firefox is set
>> up to open links in a new tab, that should happen automatically.
>
> Of course I know that Thunderbird isn't a browser -- it's an e-mail and
> news client.  As I pointed out, I already know that left-clicking the
> link in TB opens Firefox.  But since Thunderbird and Firefox are both
> produced by Mozilla, I thought it made sense from a user-friendliness
> point of view to have both products act as similarly as possible (as in
> many cases, they do).  I was proposing a behavior that would make it
> easier for people who use both products (as many do) to be able to use
> them in similar ways.  Middle-clicking to open a link in a new tab is
> not innately a "browser" feature -- the Firefox developers had to decide
> it was a "good thing" to do, and then they implemented it.  I'm
> proposing that Thunderbird also work that way, so that people who are
> used to middle-clicking in Firefox can also middle-click in Thunderbird.
>  That's why it's a wish -- I realize it doesn't work that way today.

I agree with you. Also I automatically middle-click on a link in
TB, only to realize it didn't open in FF after I switch to it. As
you say it should just work the same as left-click ("open in browser"),
for the reasons Ee pointed out.

Take care,
    Herre
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

Wilson-22
sometime in the recent past Herre de Jonge posted this:

> Rav wrote:
>> EE wrote:
>>> Rav wrote:
>>>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with
>>>> the middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so
>>>> used to clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically
>>>> click the middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  
>>>> I bet this happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or
>>>> something that would make the middle mouse button act the same as a
>>>> left mouse button click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>>>> .
>>> Thunderbird is not a browser.  If you left-click the link, that
>>> should open Firefox (or whatever your default browser is).  If
>>> Firefox is set up to open links in a new tab, that should happen
>>> automatically.
>>
>> Of course I know that Thunderbird isn't a browser -- it's an e-mail
>> and news client.  As I pointed out, I already know that left-clicking
>> the link in TB opens Firefox.  But since Thunderbird and Firefox are
>> both produced by Mozilla, I thought it made sense from a
>> user-friendliness point of view to have both products act as similarly
>> as possible (as in many cases, they do).  I was proposing a behavior
>> that would make it easier for people who use both products (as many
>> do) to be able to use them in similar ways.  Middle-clicking to open a
>> link in a new tab is not innately a "browser" feature -- the Firefox
>> developers had to decide it was a "good thing" to do, and then they
>> implemented it.  I'm proposing that Thunderbird also work that way, so
>> that people who are used to middle-clicking in Firefox can also
>> middle-click in Thunderbird.  That's why it's a wish -- I realize it
>> doesn't work that way today.
>
> I agree with you. Also I automatically middle-click on a link in
> TB, only to realize it didn't open in FF after I switch to it. As
> you say it should just work the same as left-click ("open in browser"),
> for the reasons Ee pointed out.
>
> Take care,
>    Herre
Personally, I don't have a problem with middle-clicking in TB as I only
found out now that it works in FF.

A feature that I'd like (it used to exist in an earlier TB, too) is not to
leave the TB screen when I left click, but to have FF open the link and wait
for me to come see it later when I'm done checking email or ng links in TB.

--
Wilson N45 W67
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OT Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

EE-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> sometime in the recent past Herre de Jonge posted this:
>> Rav wrote:
>>> EE wrote:
>>>> Rav wrote:
>>>>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with
>>>>> the middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so
>>>>> used to clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I
>>>>> automatically click the middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it
>>>>> does nothing.  I bet this happens to others too.  Is there a hidden
>>>>> pref or something that would make the middle mouse button act the
>>>>> same as a left mouse button click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>>>>> .
>>>> Thunderbird is not a browser.  If you left-click the link, that
>>>> should open Firefox (or whatever your default browser is).  If
>>>> Firefox is set up to open links in a new tab, that should happen
>>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> Of course I know that Thunderbird isn't a browser -- it's an e-mail
>>> and news client.  As I pointed out, I already know that left-clicking
>>> the link in TB opens Firefox.  But since Thunderbird and Firefox are
>>> both produced by Mozilla, I thought it made sense from a
>>> user-friendliness point of view to have both products act as
>>> similarly as possible (as in many cases, they do).  I was proposing a
>>> behavior that would make it easier for people who use both products
>>> (as many do) to be able to use them in similar ways.  Middle-clicking
>>> to open a link in a new tab is not innately a "browser" feature --
>>> the Firefox developers had to decide it was a "good thing" to do, and
>>> then they implemented it.  I'm proposing that Thunderbird also work
>>> that way, so that people who are used to middle-clicking in Firefox
>>> can also middle-click in Thunderbird.  That's why it's a wish -- I
>>> realize it doesn't work that way today.
>>
>> I agree with you. Also I automatically middle-click on a link in
>> TB, only to realize it didn't open in FF after I switch to it. As
>> you say it should just work the same as left-click ("open in browser"),
>> for the reasons Ee pointed out.
>>
>> Take care,
>>    Herre
> Personally, I don't have a problem with middle-clicking in TB as I only
> found out now that it works in FF.
>
> A feature that I'd like (it used to exist in an earlier TB, too) is not
> to leave the TB screen when I left click, but to have FF open the link
> and wait for me to come see it later when I'm done checking email or ng
> links in TB.
>
All Thunderbird does is pass the information to the operating system to
open the default browser and pass the link to it.  It does not pass key
codes or mouse click info such as "this was a middle-click" to it.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

Miles-4
In reply to this post by RAV-2
* Rav wrote, On 8/5/2008 07:23:
> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
> middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
> clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
> middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
> happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
> make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button click,
> i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
> .

Using a different technique that you, I have no difficulty.  In TB a
single left click on a link opens it in a new tab in FX.

In FX a single left click on a link opens it in a new tab.  Double
clicking a tab with the center mouse button - scroll bar - closes the
tab (as set in TabMixPlus), and that' a setting that saves a
considerable number of keystrokes!
Miles
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

Herre de Jonge
Miles wrote:

> * Rav wrote, On 8/5/2008 07:23:
>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
>> middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
>> clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
>> middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
>> happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
>> make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button
>> click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>> .
>
> Using a different technique that you, I have no difficulty.  In TB a
> single left click on a link opens it in a new tab in FX.
>
> In FX a single left click on a link opens it in a new tab.  Double
> clicking a tab with the center mouse button - scroll bar - closes the
> tab (as set in TabMixPlus), and that' a setting that saves a
> considerable number of keystrokes!

In what way did you change your default settings??? I assume you
wanted to say:
- single left click opens in same window.
- middle click opens in new tab.
- single middle click on a tab closes it.

The point just is: In FF you use middle button so often to open a
link (esp. from search results page), that you often make the mistake
in TB of using the middle button as well. Because nothing happens it
is quite easy to (hit yourself on the head and) do a left click, but
it would just be easy to have the middle click as well open the link
in your browser.

Take care,
   H.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

RAV-2
Herre de Jonge wrote:

> Miles wrote:
>> * Rav wrote, On 8/5/2008 07:23:
>>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with
>>> the middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used
>>> to clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click
>>> the middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet
>>> this happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that
>>> would make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse
>>> button click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>>> .
>>
>> Using a different technique that you, I have no difficulty.  In TB a
>> single left click on a link opens it in a new tab in FX.
>>
>> In FX a single left click on a link opens it in a new tab.  Double
>> clicking a tab with the center mouse button - scroll bar - closes the
>> tab (as set in TabMixPlus), and that' a setting that saves a
>> considerable number of keystrokes!
>
> In what way did you change your default settings??? I assume you
> wanted to say:
> - single left click opens in same window.
> - middle click opens in new tab.
> - single middle click on a tab closes it.
>
> The point just is: In FF you use middle button so often to open a
> link (esp. from search results page), that you often make the mistake
> in TB of using the middle button as well. Because nothing happens it
> is quite easy to (hit yourself on the head and) do a left click, but
> it would just be easy to have the middle click as well open the link
> in your browser.
>
> Take care,
>   H.

Thank you, H, for understanding what I'm asking for.  And for the sake
of some who seem to think I want middle click in TB to do something
"special," I don't -- I just want it to do EXACTLY what a left click in
TB does -- open the link in your favorite browser (which for most here
is Firefox), and then Firefox opens it either in the current window or a
new tab, based on preferences you have set there.  As H says, many of us
use middle click in Firefox so often that we just try to use it
automatically in Thunderbird, so it would be a user-friendly convenience
for it to work there too.  As an application developer myself, I find
that it's the last 5% or so of what an application does well, meaning
making the users life easier (or not), that most affects peoples
perceptions of that application.
.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wish TB middle mouse button opened links like in Firefox

Miles-4
In reply to this post by Herre de Jonge
* Herre de Jonge wrote, On 8/6/2008 23:56:

> Miles wrote:
>> * Rav wrote, On 8/5/2008 07:23:
>>> Using Tbird 2.0.0.16.  In Firefox, I typically click on links with the
>>> middle mouse button so that I get a new tab.  Because I'm so used to
>>> clicking the middle mouse button in Firefox, I automatically click the
>>> middle mouse button in Thunderbird, but it does nothing.  I bet this
>>> happens to others too.  Is there a hidden pref or something that would
>>> make the middle mouse button act the same as a left mouse button
>>> click, i.e. open the link?  Thanks.
>>> .
>> Using a different technique that you, I have no difficulty.  In TB a
>> single left click on a link opens it in a new tab in FX.
>>
>> In FX a single left click on a link opens it in a new tab.  Double
>> clicking a tab with the center mouse button - scroll bar - closes the
>> tab (as set in TabMixPlus), and that' a setting that saves a
>> considerable number of keystrokes!
>
> In what way did you change your default settings??? I assume you
> wanted to say:
> - single left click opens in same window.
> - middle click opens in new tab.
> - single middle click on a tab closes it.
>
> The point just is: In FF you use middle button so often to open a
> link (esp. from search results page), that you often make the mistake
> in TB of using the middle button as well. Because nothing happens it
> is quite easy to (hit yourself on the head and) do a left click, but
> it would just be easy to have the middle click as well open the link
> in your browser.
>
> Take care,
>    H.

Close but no cigar.
1) Single left click a link in TB opens a new tab in FX.
2) Double center click a link in TB opens 2 identical tabs in FX (which
of course is not wanted, so simply don't do that).
3) Single left click a link in FX opens a new tab in FX
4) Single center click a tab in FX closes the tab (set up using
TabMixPlus so the center mouse button is a double click).
5) Double center click a link in FX opens a new tab.
6) Single left click a link in FX opens a new tab.

This method will probably cause the OP to retrain his finger movements,
and it will work without confusion.
_______________________________________________
wishlist mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/wishlist