Windows 7 update - finally a fix that actually works

Windows 7 update - finally a fix that actually works

Terry
The Windows 7 update has been broken for over 6 months.  MS has never
fully admitted there was a problem.  Attempts to fix it have for the
most part failed.  It looks like they have finally addressed the update
issue. Previously, it has been taking most machines 4 to over 10 hours
before updates would be shown.  Yesterday, unpatched machines were still
checking after 7 hours.  Machines I applied the patch to first and then
ran WU updates had them appear in about 5 minutes. Let's hope it stays
fixed!

Also check to see if installed (helped for some but not for others):
KB3138612
KB3145739
KB3153199
KB3161664

Stack update must be installed first
KB3020369

Terry

Re: Windows 7 update - finally a fix that actually works

Ralph Fox-4
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:15:17 -0700, Terry wrote:

> The Windows 7 update has been broken for over 6 months.  MS has never
> fully admitted there was a problem.

ISTM they did so three months ago:

    *  An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates
       that's reported on some computers.

    "How to get this update:  Install the June 2016 update rollup
    for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB3161608)."

I fixed a W7 machine months ago, with this.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Windows 7 update - finally a fix that actually works

Terry
On a whim, Ralph Fox pounded out on the keyboard

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:15:17 -0700, Terry wrote:
>
>> The Windows 7 update has been broken for over 6 months.  MS has never
>> fully admitted there was a problem.
>

> ISTM they did so three months ago:
>
>     https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161647
>
>     *  An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates
>        that's reported on some computers.
>
>     "How to get this update:  Install the June 2016 update rollup
>     for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB3161608)."
>
> I fixed a W7 machine months ago, with this.
>

>> Attempts to fix it have for the
>> most part failed.  It looks like they have finally addressed the update
>> issue. Previously, it has been taking most machines 4 to over 10 hours
>> before updates would be shown.  Yesterday, unpatched machines were still
>> checking after 7 hours.  Machines I applied the patch to first and then
>> ran WU updates had them appear in about 5 minutes. Let's hope it stays
>> fixed!
>>
>> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
>>
>> Also check to see if installed (helped for some but not for others):
>> KB3138612
>> KB3145739
>> KB3153199
>> KB3161664
>>
>> Stack update must be installed first
>> KB3020369
>>
>> Terry

Many machines that I saw having the issue had the
update, but it didn't change anything.  There are a LOT of reports
verifying it wasn't a cure all, and most I read stated no change.
This one is actually the first one that is widely successful.  For now...