Windows 10 1809 update

WaltS48-10
So you are happy with Microsoft spying on you, but not with Mozilla
collecting data using Telemetry to make Firefox better.

"This time, the company says it’s embracing an even more careful
approach, so it could take longer until version 1809 becomes available
for all systems worldwide.

“We are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing
our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer
the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your
device is ready and you will have a great experience,” John Cable,
Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, explains.

“If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application
incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is
resolved.”"

<https://news.softpedia.com/news/psa-windows-10-version-1809-not-available-for-everyone-523775.shtml>

I had updates to my Ubuntu today and I know the same are available for
my Linux Mint OS. Looking forward to booting up the Windows 10 notebook
to see if I have 3 strikes. ;)
--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

WaltS48-10
On 11/14/18 9:14 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> So you are happy with Microsoft spying on you, but not with Mozilla
> collecting data using Telemetry to make Firefox better.
>
> "This time, the company says it’s embracing an even more careful
> approach, so it could take longer until version 1809 becomes available
> for all systems worldwide.
>
> “We are taking a more measured approach with the October Update, slowing
> our rollout to more carefully study device health data. We will offer
> the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your
> device is ready and you will have a great experience,” John Cable,
> Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, explains.
>
> “If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application
> incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is
> resolved.”"
>
> <https://news.softpedia.com/news/psa-windows-10-version-1809-not-available-for-everyone-523775.shtml>
>

> I had updates to my Ubuntu today and I know the same are available for
> my Linux Mint OS. Looking forward to booting up the Windows 10 notebook
> to see if I have 3 strikes. ;)

Well, I had Windows updates but still on 1803, not 1809 yet.
--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

rebro
Am 14.11.2018 um 15:14 schrieb WaltS48:
> So you are happy with Microsoft spying on you, but not with Mozilla
> collecting data using Telemetry to make Firefox better.
>
> "This time, the company says it’s embracing an even more careful
> approach, so it could take longer until version 1809 becomes available
> for all systems worldwide.

Downloading the Win10_1809 x32 and x64 isos right now doesn't mean any
difficulty. And the new Build 17763.134 works fine apart from the fact
that the problem(s) re "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" are still there
and that the stereomix bug has still got to be worked around by means of
the Windows WASAPI driver as far as I have detected so far.

:-)  ~  :-(

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

Mark Rousell-3
On 14/11/2018 18:46, rebro wrote:
> the problem(s) re "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" are still there

What are they?

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

rebro
Am 15.11.2018 um 15:25 schrieb Mark Rousell:
> On 14/11/2018 18:46, rebro wrote:
>> the problem(s) re "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" are still there
>
> What are they?

Under Windows 10 version 1809 you can’t create a backup of your data any
longer, as the process fails with various error codes, including
0x80070013, pretending that it is because "The media is write protected"
which is certainly not the case.

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

Mark Rousell-3
On 15/11/2018 15:33, rebro wrote:

> Am 15.11.2018 um 15:25 schrieb Mark Rousell:
>> On 14/11/2018 18:46, rebro wrote:
>>> the problem(s) re "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" are still there
>>
>> What are they?
>>

> Under Windows 10 version 1809 you can’t create a backup of your data
> any longer, as the process fails with various error codes, including
> 0x80070013, pretending that it is because "The media is write
> protected" which is certainly not the case.

Thanks. That's very poor.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Windows 10 1809 update

rebro
Am 15.11.2018 um 17:38 schrieb Mark Rousell:

> On 15/11/2018 15:33, rebro wrote:
>>>
>>> What are they?
>>>

>> Under Windows 10 version 1809 you can’t create a backup of your data
>> any longer, as the process fails with various error codes, including
>> 0x80070013, pretending that it is because "The media is write
>> protected" which is certainly not the case.
>
> Thanks. That's very poor.

Yes, unfortunately so.
Meanwhile further issues seem to emerge:
For instance, there seem to be still more audio problems than this
stereomix issue I mentioned above:
Windows 10 Version 1809 Bug Said to Break Down Audio
(<https://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-version-1809-bug-said-to-break-down-audio-523801.shtml>).