Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of
moving the program's Application Data files from one HD to
another, there appeared a sudden change in the appearance of
both the SeaMonkey browser and mail windows - namely the
status bar now has a an added bar below it that
approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no data in
it, just a small red "up" arrow on its left size.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and
have done everything except totally deleted my
configurations and stored mail data, but so far I have been
unable to remove this corrupted addition to the status bar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Window problem

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/26/2007 12:41 PM, and on a whim, Marisa Ciceran
pounded out on the keyboard:

> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of
> moving the program's Application Data files from one HD to
> another, there appeared a sudden change in the appearance of
> both the SeaMonkey browser and mail windows - namely the
> status bar now has a an added bar below it that
> approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no data in
> it, just a small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>
> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and
> have done everything except totally deleted my
> configurations and stored mail data, but so far I have been
> unable to remove this corrupted addition to the status bar.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Marisa,

See if this doesn't help you locate the problem:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

--
Terry R.

Re: Window problem

Tony Mechelynck
Marisa Ciceran wrote:

> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of moving the
> program's Application Data files from one HD to another, there appeared
> a sudden change in the appearance of both the SeaMonkey browser and mail
> windows - namely the status bar now has a an added bar below it that
> approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no data in it, just a
> small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>
> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and have done
> everything except totally deleted my configurations and stored mail
> data, but so far I have been unable to remove this corrupted addition to
> the status bar.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla newsgroups,
usually in the mozilla.support.* series.

The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.

On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension Manager" and
the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to see which extensions
are installed and optionally remove one or more of them. I used to have them,
but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1 (which is my current Sm version) and I
don't remember where they can be downloaded.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year's fashions."
                -- Lillian Hellman

Re: Window problem

Michael-369
Tony Mechelynck replied On 12/26/2007 2:53 PM

> Marisa Ciceran wrote:
>> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of moving the
>> program's Application Data files from one HD to another, there appeared
>> a sudden change in the appearance of both the SeaMonkey browser and mail
>> windows - namely the status bar now has a an added bar below it that
>> approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no data in it, just a
>> small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>>
>> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and have done
>> everything except totally deleted my configurations and stored mail
>> data, but so far I have been unable to remove this corrupted addition to
>> the status bar.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla newsgroups,
> usually in the mozilla.support.* series.
>
> The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.
>
> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.
>
> On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension Manager" and
> the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to see which extensions
> are installed and optionally remove one or more of them. I used to have them,
> but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1 (which is my current Sm version) and I
> don't remember where they can be downloaded.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

You can find the Extension Uninstaller and Extension Manager at the link
below.
You will need to install both extensions before you can use the new
tool.  It will appear in your "Tools" button.

http://mozmonkey.com/

Michael

Re: Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
Hello Terry R.

Terry R. wrote:
> The date and time was 12/26/2007 12:41 PM, and on a whim, Marisa Ciceran
> pounded out on the keyboard:

The local time was 3:41 PM and it was hardly on a whim that
I respectfully sought assistence on this forum.

>> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of moving the
>> program's Application Data files from one HD to another, there
>> appeared a sudden change in the appearance of both the SeaMonkey
>> browser and mail windows - namely the status bar now has a an added
>> bar below it that approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no
>> data in it, just a small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>>
>> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and have done
>> everything except totally deleted my configurations and stored mail
>> data, but so far I have been unable to remove this corrupted addition
>> to the status bar.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Hi Marisa,
>
> See if this doesn't help you locate the problem:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar

I have been there and am still plowing through mountains of
superfluous information without finding a resolution to my
problem.

Thanks anyway. I hope that someone else will offer a more
responsive and responsible suggestion.

Marisa (neither a "newbie" nor a "teckie")

Re: Window problem

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/26/2007 1:36 PM, and on a whim, Marisa Ciceran
pounded out on the keyboard:

> Hello Terry R.
>
> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 12/26/2007 12:41 PM, and on a whim, Marisa Ciceran
>> pounded out on the keyboard:
>
> The local time was 3:41 PM and it was hardly on a whim that
> I respectfully sought assistence on this forum.

Maybe for YOU it was 3:41, but not in my time zone. The world doesn't
revolve around you now, does it?

>>> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of moving the
>>> program's Application Data files from one HD to another, there
>>> appeared a sudden change in the appearance of both the SeaMonkey
>>> browser and mail windows - namely the status bar now has a an added
>>> bar below it that approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no
>>> data in it, just a small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>>>
>>> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and have done
>>> everything except totally deleted my configurations and stored mail
>>> data, but so far I have been unable to remove this corrupted addition
>>> to the status bar.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> Hi Marisa,
>>
>> See if this doesn't help you locate the problem:
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar
>>

> I have been there and am still plowing through mountains of
> superfluous information without finding a resolution to my
> problem.
>
> Thanks anyway. I hope that someone else will offer a more
> responsive and responsible suggestion.
>
> Marisa (neither a "newbie" nor a "teckie")

Actually Marisa, this is most likely EXACTLY your issue, you just need
to follow the instructions a little closer.

Let me know about all those "more responsive and responsible" answers
you get, okay?

So you may not be a "newbie or teckie", but you're also not very polite
either.  Did you not get what you asked for this year?  Get an attitude
adjustment and try again...

--
Terry R.

Re: Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
Tony and Michael,

I appreciate your mature and sincere efforts to be helpful.

Michael wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck replied On 12/26/2007 2:53 PM
>
>> Marisa Ciceran wrote:
>>> I have SeaMonkey 1.1.7 installed and in the process of moving the
>>> program's Application Data files from one HD to another, there
>>> appeared a sudden change in the appearance of both the SeaMonkey
>>> browser and mail windows - namely the status bar now has a an added
>>> bar below it that approximately 2-1/2 its own height. The bar has no
>>> data in it, just a small red "up" arrow on its left size.
>>>
>>> I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program several times and have
>>> done everything except totally deleted my configurations and stored
>>> mail data, but so far I have been unable to remove this corrupted
>>> addition to the status bar.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla
>> newsgroups, usually in the mozilla.support.* series.
>>
>> The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.

You are probably right.

>> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.
>>
>> On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension
>> Manager" and the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to
>> see which extensions are installed and optionally remove one or more
>> of them. I used to have them, but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1
>> (which is my current Sm version) and I don't remember where they can
>> be downloaded.

In addition to list the Extension manager and uninstaller,
the Extension manages lists the following:

Chatzilla 0.9.75
Quick Locale Switcher
report.mozilla.org
Roaming

I know that Chatzilla comes in the SeaMonkey program but
which of the other three are not SeaMonkey extensions that
can uninstall?

Also, is SeaMonkey 2.0a1 available for me to also install?

I ask this because my SeaMonkey installation shows a new
sign of being corrupted - namely, when I open the mail
portion of the suite and then go to open the browser, it
opens to a full-menued version of the browser. However, when
I open the browser alone, it opens but is missing the top
Menu bar.

Is there such a thing as a "cleanup tool" (such as Symantec
and a few other software companies offer) to completely
uninstall SeaMonkey so that, as a last resort, I could t
least start from scratch and then copy over my configuration
from a backup of when the SeaMonkey installation was still
good? I've had lots of experience going to the registry to
wipe out certain programs, but in this case it would be very
risky business.

Thanks again for your courteous and thoughful responses.

Marisa

>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> You can find the Extension Uninstaller and Extension Manager at the link
> below.
> You will need to install both extensions before you can use the new
> tool.  It will appear in your "Tools" button.
>
> http://mozmonkey.com/
>
> Michael

Re: Window problem

Leonidas Jones-2
Marisa Ciceran wrote:
> Tony and Michael,
>
> I appreciate your mature and sincere efforts to be helpful.
>
> Michael wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck replied On 12/26/2007 2:53 PM
>>
>>> Marisa Ciceran wrote:
/snip/

> In addition to list the Extension manager and uninstaller, the Extension
> manages lists the following:
>
> Chatzilla 0.9.75
> Quick Locale Switcher
> report.mozilla.org
> Roaming
>
> I know that Chatzilla comes in the SeaMonkey program but which of the
> other three are not SeaMonkey extensions that can uninstall?
>
> Also, is SeaMonkey 2.0a1 available for me to also install?

/snip/

The Quick Locale Switcher would appear to be the most likely culprit.

SeaMonkey 2.0a1 has not been released yet.  The nightly builds identify
as 2.0a1pre. It is very promising, but far from ready for regular use.

Based on the problems you are having, I would strongly recommend that
you stay away from nightly  or alpha builds, they are for testing only.
Users should stay with the release builds.

In any event, any corruption problems you are having are 99% sure to be
related to your profile, not to the program files. You might try
creating a new profile and test in that, to see if it working as you expect.

I might also suggest that you post support questions in the
mozilla.support.seamonkey group on this server.  There a quite a few
people who offer support with SeaMonkey problems that may very well not
look in mozilla.general.

Lee

Re: Window problem

Tony Mechelynck
Marisa Ciceran wrote:

> Tony and Michael,
>
> I appreciate your mature and sincere efforts to be helpful.
>
> Michael wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck replied On 12/26/2007 2:53 PM

>>> This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla
>>> newsgroups, usually in the mozilla.support.* series.
>>>
>>> The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.
>
> You are probably right.
>

>>> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.
>>>
>>> On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension
>>> Manager" and the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to
>>> see which extensions are installed and optionally remove one or more
>>> of them. I used to have them, but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1
>>> (which is my current Sm version) and I don't remember where they can
>>> be downloaded.
>
> In addition to list the Extension manager and uninstaller, the Extension
> manages lists the following:
>
> Chatzilla 0.9.75
> Quick Locale Switcher
> report.mozilla.org
> Roaming
>
> I know that Chatzilla comes in the SeaMonkey program but which of the
> other three are not SeaMonkey extensions that can uninstall?

Try Quick Locale Switcher. But save it someplace where you can reinstall it if
the uninstall doesn't change anything to the "gray bar below status bar".

> Also, is SeaMonkey 2.0a1 available for me to also install?

Yes, but it's still at the "pre alpha" stage of development: in other words,
it's the bleeding edge of development, and some of its parts are very bleeding
indeed. In particular, the whole Preferences UI is undergoing a total rewrite
so it can keep the same look and feel but use the "new toolkit". In the
meantime, there are two Preferences dialogs, and some pages are in the one,
others in the other. OTOH, it has an add-ons subsystem similar to that of
Firefox and Thunderbird, and it can check for updates to extensions and
themes. It can also import profiles from Firefox, Thunderbird or even, IIUC,
Netscape. So -- I'm not saying you ought to install it: that's for every user
to decide for him or herself. Let me just type my usual disclaimer about that
kind of thing:

Pre-alpha, alpha and even beta builds are test builds not meant for general
consumption. They have been tested for shorter times than release versions and
often are buggier. They are available "as is" with no warranties and no
compensation for damages. They may wash your cat in the clothes washer, crash
your hard disk, put your house on fire and seduce away your husband. You've
been warned! Don't use them for business jobs where a browser failure might
cost you or your employer huge sums of money.

All this said, if you are still willing to test it, pre-alpha builds of
SeaMonkey 2.0 (a different en-US build every day for each of Mac-Universal,
Linux-i686 and Win32) are available from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/latest-trunk/

If you install one of these builds, you ought also (if you don't yet have one)
report there any bugs that bite you.

> I ask this because my SeaMonkey installation shows a new sign of being
> corrupted - namely, when I open the mail portion of the suite and then
> go to open the browser, it opens to a full-menued version of the
> browser. However, when I open the browser alone, it opens but is missing
> the top Menu bar.

Strange.

> Is there such a thing as a "cleanup tool" (such as Symantec and a few
> other software companies offer) to completely uninstall SeaMonkey so
> that, as a last resort, I could t least start from scratch and then copy
> over my configuration from a backup of when the SeaMonkey installation
> was still good? I've had lots of experience going to the registry to
> wipe out certain programs, but in this case it would be very risky
> business.

I don't know, especially about cleaning the Windows registry. I might venture
an opinion, but I'm sure there are lurkers here who know it better than I do.

> Thanks again for your courteous and thoughful responses.
>
> Marisa

My pleasure.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a
just man is also a prison.

Re: Window problem

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Marisa Ciceran wrote:

> Tony and Michael,
>
> I appreciate your mature and sincere efforts to be helpful.
>
> Michael wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck replied On 12/26/2007 2:53 PM

>>> This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla
>>> newsgroups, usually in the mozilla.support.* series.
>>>
>>> The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.
>
> You are probably right.
>
>>> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.
>>>
>>> On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension
>>> Manager" and the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to
>>> see which extensions are installed and optionally remove one or more
>>> of them. I used to have them, but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1
>>> (which is my current Sm version) and I don't remember where they can
>>> be downloaded.
>
> In addition to list the Extension manager and uninstaller,
> the Extension manages lists the following:
>
> Chatzilla 0.9.75
> Quick Locale Switcher
> report.mozilla.org
> Roaming
>
> I know that Chatzilla comes in the SeaMonkey program but
> which of the other three are not SeaMonkey extensions that
> can uninstall?
>
> Also, is SeaMonkey 2.0a1 available for me to also install?
>
> I ask this because my SeaMonkey installation shows a new
> sign of being corrupted - namely, when I open the mail
> portion of the suite and then go to open the browser, it
> opens to a full-menued version of the browser. However, when
> I open the browser alone, it opens but is missing the top
> Menu bar.
>
> Is there such a thing as a "cleanup tool" (such as Symantec
> and a few other software companies offer) to completely
> uninstall SeaMonkey so that, as a last resort, I could t
> least start from scratch and then copy over my configuration
> from a backup of when the SeaMonkey installation was still
> good? I've had lots of experience going to the registry to
> wipe out certain programs, but in this case it would be very
> risky business.
>
> Thanks again for your courteous and thoughful responses.
>
> Marisa
>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.
>> You can find the Extension Uninstaller and Extension Manager at the link
>> below.
>> You will need to install both extensions before you can use the new
>> tool.  It will appear in your "Tools" button.
>>
>> http://mozmonkey.com/
>>
>> Michael

all your mail, preferences, bookmarks, etc, are stored in an
area called the SM profile.  When you have a problem, this
is usually where you can find the culprits.  When you
uninstall the program, all you're doing is removing the
program, the SM profile is not touched.

The problem you are having is caused by either a bad
extension or theme.  First, switch themes: from the browser,
click on View, Apply Theme.  Restart the program.  Does the
problem continue? If so, then . . .

. . . As Michael has suggested, you need to install the
extension manager AND the extension uninstaller.  Then as
Lee said, remove "Quick Locale Switcher."  Once remove,
restart the program.

Does the problem continue.  If so, then report back.  If
not, then look for a newer version of Quick Locale Switcher
and install that.

If you're having problems with the current version of SM,
then its useless to install 2.x version.  SM 2.x will pick
up your SM 1.1.7 profile and start using it.  So basically,
it will continue to be a problem with the 2.x versions.

As Lee said, SM 2.x is still in the developement and testing
stage.  Its not ready for everyday usage.

Furthermore, there is a newsgroup for SM.  Its
mozilla.support.seamonkey on the news.mozilla.org server.
You'll get more help there, than in the mozilla.general group.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Window problem

Terry R.
The date and time was 12/26/2007 3:48 PM, and on a whim, Marisa Ciceran
pounded out on the keyboard:

> Tony and Michael,
>
> I appreciate your mature and sincere efforts to be helpful.

I deserve a courteous explanation from you on how you thought my
suggestion (which was spot on for your information) wasn't "mature and
sincere".  I am offended at your response, and the others barely
expounded on my reply to you.

>>> This is a problem _very_ often asked about in the various Mozilla
>>> newsgroups, usually in the mozilla.support.* series.
>>>
>>> The usual cause is a misbehaving extension.
>
> You are probably right.

Yes, the link I provided told you exactly the same thing.

>>> See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gray_bar_below_status_bar for details.
>>>
>>> On SeaMonkey 1.1.x and earlier, you may need both the "Extension
>>> Manager" and the "Extension Uninstaller API" extensions in order to
>>> see which extensions are installed and optionally remove one or more
>>> of them. I used to have them, but they aren't needed on Sm 2.0a1
>>> (which is my current Sm version) and I don't remember where they can
>>> be downloaded.
>
> In addition to list the Extension manager and uninstaller,
> the Extension manages lists the following:
>
> Chatzilla 0.9.75
> Quick Locale Switcher
> report.mozilla.org
> Roaming
>
> I know that Chatzilla comes in the SeaMonkey program but
> which of the other three are not SeaMonkey extensions that
> can uninstall?
>
> Also, is SeaMonkey 2.0a1 available for me to also install?
>
> I ask this because my SeaMonkey installation shows a new
> sign of being corrupted - namely, when I open the mail
> portion of the suite and then go to open the browser, it
> opens to a full-menued version of the browser. However, when
> I open the browser alone, it opens but is missing the top
> Menu bar.
>
> Is there such a thing as a "cleanup tool" (such as Symantec
> and a few other software companies offer) to completely
> uninstall SeaMonkey so that, as a last resort, I could t
> least start from scratch and then copy over my configuration
> from a backup of when the SeaMonkey installation was still
> good? I've had lots of experience going to the registry to
> wipe out certain programs, but in this case it would be very
> risky business.
>
> Thanks again for your courteous and thoughful responses.
>
> Marisa

Before you lambasted me, I provided the same help and yet you saw it
differently?

--
Terry R.

Re: Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
Peter, Tony, and Leonidas,

The problem has been fixed, but in addition to your
recommendations, I did go to the registry to wipe out all
the SeaMonkey keys (and I have my fingers crossed I did no
secondary harm).

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> <snip>
>
> all your mail, preferences, bookmarks, etc, are stored in an area called
> the SM profile.  When you have a problem, this is usually where you can
> find the culprits.  When you uninstall the program, all you're doing is
> removing the program, the SM profile is not touched.

Yes, I am aware of that, but I made only one change to the
SM profile: changed it to point to the new location. Since
you have all been kind enough to make the time to answer me
here, let me give you further details - just in case someone
else could benefit from my ordeal.

> The problem you are having is caused by either a bad extension or
> theme.  First, switch themes: from the browser, click on View, Apply
> Theme.  Restart the program.  Does the problem continue? If so, then . . .

I do not use themes and until last week did not even look at
any additional extensions that were offered but, I am
embarassed to say, apparently did add several without
realizing it - or were they added by other programs?

> . . . As Michael has suggested, you need to install the extension
> manager AND the extension uninstaller.  Then as Lee said, remove "Quick
> Locale Switcher."  Once remove, restart the program.

That solved the problem. However, I don't know whether any
of the other extensions that are still listed in the
Extension Manager came from or if they are necessary. If you
know what they do and they are not needed, please advise and
I shall remove them.

> Does the problem continue.  If so, then report back.  If not, then look
> for a newer version of Quick Locale Switcher and install that.
>
> If you're having problems with the current version of SM, then its
> useless to install 2.x version.  SM 2.x will pick up your SM 1.1.7
> profile and start using it.  So basically, it will continue to be a
> problem with the 2.x versions.
>
> As Lee said, SM 2.x is still in the developement and testing stage.  Its
> not ready for everyday usage.

I've used previous versions of the Netscape beta, and have
no qualms about using a Beta SeaMonkey now, but will
continue waiting patiently for the more stable "everyday"
version. :-)

> Furthermore, there is a newsgroup for SM.  Its mozilla.support.seamonkey
> on the news.mozilla.org server. You'll get more help there, than in the
> mozilla.general group.

I came to this forum because I could not find a clear
nomenclature for such a support forum, but I have since
found m.s.seamonkey which I assume is the same as what you
mean. That forum is rather chaotic, but I shall use it
henceforth.

In any case, I am extremely grateful for all your thoughtful
assistence. By the way, I have been a faithful user of
Netscape, then Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey suite since day
one (I got my first PC in 1991). Please keep up the good
work on the Mozilla project, and know that your serious
commitment is always appreciated by folks like me.

Thank you all and Happy New Year!

Marisa

Re: Window problem

Michael-369
Marisa Ciceran replied On 12/26/2007 10:17 PM

> Peter, Tony, and Leonidas,
>
> The problem has been fixed, but in addition to your
> recommendations, I did go to the registry to wipe out all
> the SeaMonkey keys (and I have my fingers crossed I did no
> secondary harm).
>
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> all your mail, preferences, bookmarks, etc, are stored in an area called
>> the SM profile.  When you have a problem, this is usually where you can
>> find the culprits.  When you uninstall the program, all you're doing is
>> removing the program, the SM profile is not touched.
>
> Yes, I am aware of that, but I made only one change to the
> SM profile: changed it to point to the new location. Since
> you have all been kind enough to make the time to answer me
> here, let me give you further details - just in case someone
> else could benefit from my ordeal.
>> The problem you are having is caused by either a bad extension or
>> theme.  First, switch themes: from the browser, click on View, Apply
>> Theme.  Restart the program.  Does the problem continue? If so, then . . .
>
> I do not use themes and until last week did not even look at
> any additional extensions that were offered but, I am
> embarassed to say, apparently did add several without
> realizing it - or were they added by other programs?
>
>> . . . As Michael has suggested, you need to install the extension
>> manager AND the extension uninstaller.  Then as Lee said, remove "Quick
>> Locale Switcher."  Once remove, restart the program.
>
> That solved the problem. However, I don't know whether any
> of the other extensions that are still listed in the
> Extension Manager came from or if they are necessary. If you
> know what they do and they are not needed, please advise and
> I shall remove them.

  Chatzilla 0.9.75
  Quick Locale Switcher *
  report.mozilla.org
  Roaming

* This is the new extension that most likely caused your problem.
The other three were installed when you installed SeaMonkey in default
mode.  That is you followed all the recommended installation programs.
For now you can leave them where they are, but on the next update during
the installation select Custom Install.  There you will be given a
selection list of the SeaMonkey tools and application you want
installed,  Unchecking those you do not want will result in a standard
SeaMonkey suit being installed minus the tools you don't use.

Each time you update, ot upgrade SeaMonkey you will need to select
Custom Install.

Michael

>> Does the problem continue.  If so, then report back.  If not, then look
>> for a newer version of Quick Locale Switcher and install that.
>>
>> If you're having problems with the current version of SM, then its
>> useless to install 2.x version.  SM 2.x will pick up your SM 1.1.7
>> profile and start using it.  So basically, it will continue to be a
>> problem with the 2.x versions.
>>
>> As Lee said, SM 2.x is still in the developement and testing stage.  Its
>> not ready for everyday usage.
>
> I've used previous versions of the Netscape beta, and have
> no qualms about using a Beta SeaMonkey now, but will
> continue waiting patiently for the more stable "everyday"
> version. :-)
>
>> Furthermore, there is a newsgroup for SM.  Its mozilla.support.seamonkey
>> on the news.mozilla.org server. You'll get more help there, than in the
>> mozilla.general group.
>
> I came to this forum because I could not find a clear
> nomenclature for such a support forum, but I have since
> found m.s.seamonkey which I assume is the same as what you
> mean. That forum is rather chaotic, but I shall use it
> henceforth.
>
> In any case, I am extremely grateful for all your thoughtful
> assistence. By the way, I have been a faithful user of
> Netscape, then Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey suite since day
> one (I got my first PC in 1991). Please keep up the good
> work on the Mozilla project, and know that your serious
> commitment is always appreciated by folks like me.
>
> Thank you all and Happy New Year!
>
> Marisa

Re: Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
Michael et al,

I spoke too soon. While my SeaMonkey status bar problem was
solved by uninstalling the "Quick Locale Switcher", what
also happened with it is my Windows XP desktop Toolbars menu
became disabled. I have searched via Yahoo and came up with
only a remote Windows 98 solution which does not apply. Any
clues on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Marisa

Michael wrote:

> [...]
>> patiently for the more stable "everyday" version. :-)
>>
>>> Furthermore, there is a newsgroup for SM.  Its
>>> mozilla.support.seamonkey on the news.mozilla.org server. You'll get
>>> more help there, than in the mozilla.general group.
>>
>> I came to this forum because I could not find a clear
>> nomenclature for such a support forum, but I have since
>> found m.s.seamonkey which I assume is the same as what you mean. That
>> forum is rather chaotic, but I shall use it
>> henceforth.
>>
>> In any case, I am extremely grateful for all your thoughtful
>> assistence. By the way, I have been a faithful user of Netscape, then
>> Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey suite since day one (I got my first PC in
>> 1991). Please keep up the good work on the Mozilla project, and know
>> that your serious
>> commitment is always appreciated by folks like me.

Re: Window problem

Michael-369
Marisa Ciceran replied On 12/27/2007 12:30 AM

> [...]
>> Custom Install.
>>
>> Michael

>>> I've used previous versions of the Netscape beta, and have
>>> no qualms about using a Beta SeaMonkey now, but will continue waiting
>>> patiently for the more stable "everyday" version. :-)

>>> I came to this forum because I could not find a clear
>>> nomenclature for such a support forum, but I have since
>>> found m.s.seamonkey which I assume is the same as what you mean. That
>>> forum is rather chaotic, but I shall use it
>>> henceforth.
>>>
>>> In any case, I am extremely grateful for all your thoughtful
>>> assistence. By the way, I have been a faithful user of Netscape, then
>>> Mozilla, and now SeaMonkey suite since day one (I got my first PC in
>>> 1991). Please keep up the good work on the Mozilla project, and know
>>> that your serious
>>> commitment is always appreciated by folks like me.

If you are talking about the tool buttons at the bottom of the screen
where the system clock belongs move your mouse down to the bottom border
of the screen and see if it changes to a double arrow.  If it changes
then while the double arrow is showing left click your mouse and drag
the tool bar up.  These are called the Quick Launch bar and System Taks bar.

Marisa Ciceran wrote:
> That solved the problem. However, I don't know whether any
> of the other extensions that are still listed in the
> Extension Manager came from or if they are necessary. If you
> know what they do and they are not needed, please advise and
> I shall remove them.

lets see:

Chatzilla: if you don't want it then you can uninstall it.
For me, I just ignore it.

report.mozilla.org -- I think this has to do with, from the
browser, click on Help, Report Broken Web Site.  This is
help full when you have those sucky websites that insist on
using MS products to create a website, or a website that is
geared to IE only and leave the rest of us out in the cold.
  So, I would leave that alone also.

Roaming: click on Edit, Preferences, Roaming User and at the
top it will tell you what its about.  It sounds interesting.
   I would leave that alone aswell.

Then as, Michael has said, when you install the next
version, select custom, and select the applications you want.

> I came to this forum because I could not find a clear
> nomenclature for such a support forum, but I have since
> found m.s.seamonkey which I assume is the same as what you
> mean. That forum is rather chaotic, but I shall use it
> henceforth.

I don't know what you mean by the SM support forum is
"rather chaotic."  Its the best place for SM support.  There
are many users who help people with their problems, plus a
couple of SM developers pop in once in a while to help out.
  The SM help there is much better than those within the
Firefox and Thunderbird support group.  There, they can get
a little nasty to the newbies, and to the other support helpers.

Marisa Ciceran wrote:
> my Windows XP desktop Toolbars menu
> became disabled. I have searched via Yahoo and came up with
> only a remote Windows 98 solution which does not apply. Any
> clues on how to fix this?

try asking in an MS newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Michael wrote:

> Marisa Ciceran replied On 12/27/2007 12:30 AM
>
>> Michael et al,
>>
>> I spoke too soon. While my SeaMonkey status bar problem was solved by
>> uninstalling the "Quick Locale Switcher", what also happened with it
>> is my Windows XP desktop Toolbars menu became disabled. I have
>> searched via Yahoo and came up with only a remote Windows 98 solution
>> which does not apply. Any clues on how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marisa
>>

> If you are talking about the tool buttons at the bottom of the screen
> where the system clock belongs move your mouse down to the bottom border
> of the screen and see if it changes to a double arrow.  If it changes
> then while the double arrow is showing left click your mouse and drag
> the tool bar up.  These are called the Quick Launch bar and System Taks
> bar.
>
> Michael

Yes, I am referring to the Toolbars menu that is one of the
options when you right click on the Windows status bar.

I use the Quick Launch bar all the time and it is open
already. I also need the Language bar because of the nature
of my work - see my domain http://istrianet.org - but must
periodically disable either or both of these toolbars.

This is the first time since I installed Windows XP that the
entire Toolbars menu has become totally disabled. Because
the extra blank status bar below the SeaMonkey status bar
was removed by the uninstallation of the offending
extention, it seems within the realm of possibility that
this may also have affected the Windows status bar (that is,
the toolbars submenu). Perhaps I should uninstall SeaMonkey
1.1.7 and go back to an earlier stable version where I had
no such problems?

In any case, if you have a clue as to what could have
happened, I would appreciate your continued assistence.
These questions seem to be more oriented towards the
developers of the program who know what underlying changes
are being made than towards other users who are groping in
the dark - or riding the high sea[monkey] in a boat without
a full paddle. (Humor intended)

Thanks again,

Marisa

Re: Window problem

Marisa Ciceran
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Marisa Ciceran wrote:
>> my Windows XP desktop Toolbars menu became disabled. I have searched
>> via Yahoo and came up with only a remote Windows 98 solution which
>> does not apply. Any clues on how to fix this?
>
> try asking in an MS newsgroup:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Hi, Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have already initiated a
search there and also in Google search, but the only
solutions that I have found so far relate to Windows 98,
nothing for Windows XP. :-(

Marisa Ciceran wrote:
> This is the first time since I installed Windows XP that the
> entire Toolbars menu has become totally disabled. Because
> the extra blank status bar below the SeaMonkey status bar
> was removed by the uninstallation of the offending
> extention, it seems within the realm of possibility that
> this may also have affected the Windows status bar (that is,
> the toolbars submenu).

no, its just a co-inky-dinky

> Perhaps I should uninstall SeaMonkey
> 1.1.7 and go back to an earlier stable version where I had
> no such problems?

no.  Its just a happenstance that SM affected windows.