Window Size

Bob-51
Can anyone tell me how to make Firefox fill the screen when it starts.
I don't mean full screen as in losing the address bar etc., just using
up all the screen area.  I have selected the option for Landscape. Using
the latest update 1.5. When it starts I have to maximise using the top
right hand maximise button.  Is it something to do with javascript?
Thanks
Bob

Re: Window Size

RJack-10
Bob wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to make Firefox fill the screen when it starts. I
> don't mean full screen as in losing the address bar etc., just using up
> all the screen area.  I have selected the option for Landscape. Using
> the latest update 1.5. When it starts I have to maximise using the top
> right hand maximise button.  Is it something to do with javascript?

This can be affected by the window manager you are using, which adjust the
default size of the FF instead of the prefs for your FF

user_pref("browser.win_height", 600);
user_pref("browser.win_width", 800);

 //Aho

Re: Window Size

Bob-51
J.O. Aho wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how to make Firefox fill the screen when it starts. I
>> don't mean full screen as in losing the address bar etc., just using up
>> all the screen area.  I have selected the option for Landscape. Using
>> the latest update 1.5. When it starts I have to maximise using the top
>> right hand maximise button.  Is it something to do with javascript?
>
> This can be affected by the window manager you are using, which adjust the
> default size of the FF instead of the prefs for your FF
>
> user_pref("browser.win_height", 600);
> user_pref("browser.win_width", 800);
>

>  //Aho
Thanks but how do I access the manager?
Bob

Re: Window Size

gwtc
Bob wrote:

> J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>>Bob wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me how to make Firefox fill the screen when it starts. I
>>>don't mean full screen as in losing the address bar etc., just using up
>>>all the screen area.  I have selected the option for Landscape. Using
>>>the latest update 1.5. When it starts I have to maximise using the top
>>>right hand maximise button.  Is it something to do with javascript?
>>
>>This can be affected by the window manager you are using, which adjust the
>>default size of the FF instead of the prefs for your FF
>>
>>user_pref("browser.win_height", 600);
>>user_pref("browser.win_width", 800);
>>

>> //Aho
>
> Thanks but how do I access the manager?
> Bob
in the address bar type in about:config then look for the entries of

browser.win_width and
browser.win_height

when found, double click on them and make the changes

Re: Window Size

Bob-51
gwtc wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
>> J.O. Aho wrote:

>>> This can be affected by the window manager you are using, which
>>> adjust the
>>> default size of the FF instead of the prefs for your FF
>>>
>>> user_pref("browser.win_height", 600);
>>> user_pref("browser.win_width", 800);
>>>

>>> //Aho
>>
>> Thanks but how do I access the manager?
>> Bob
> in the address bar type in about:config then look for the entries of
>
> browser.win_width and
> browser.win_height
>
> when found, double click on them and make the changes

I went to "about:config" but the lines referring to "width" and "height"
are not there. The only line I can find with anything to do with size is
screen resolution which was set at 96.  I changed this to 100 but it
made no difference.
What do you think?

Bob

Re: Window Size

gwtc
Bob wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Bob wrote:

>>>Thanks but how do I access the manager?
>>>Bob
>>
>>in the address bar type in about:config then look for the entries of
>>
>>browser.win_width and
>>browser.win_height
>>
>>when found, double click on them and make the changes
>

> I went to "about:config" but the lines referring to "width" and "height"
> are not there. The only line I can find with anything to do with size is
> screen resolution which was set at 96.  I changed this to 100 but it
> made no difference.
> What do you think?
>
> Bob
in the config editor, click on any entry, then right click and select
New, Integer.  In the first box enter browser.win_width and in the 2nd
box put in 800 or whatever number you want.  Repeat for the 2nd entry.
  You may have to restart FF for it to work.

Re: Window Size

Bob-51
gwtc wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> in the address bar type in about:config then look for the entries of
>>>
>>> browser.win_width and
>>> browser.win_height
>>>
>>> when found, double click on them and make the changes
>>

>> I went to "about:config" but the lines referring to "width" and
>> "height" are not there. The only line I can find with anything to do
>> with size is screen resolution which was set at 96.  I changed this to
>> 100 but it made no difference.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Bob
> in the config editor, click on any entry, then right click and select
> New, Integer.  In the first box enter browser.win_width and in the 2nd
> box put in 800 or whatever number you want.  Repeat for the 2nd entry.
>  You may have to restart FF for it to work.

Many Thanks for your interest and advice which I have followed to the
letter.  Unfortunately it has not made any difference to the way Firefox
displays, it still sits with gaps around the edges. I actually put into
the new integers the screen resolution that I have which is 1024 x 768.
I presume these are the figures that you meant.

Bob

Re: Window Size

Quaoar
Bob wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>> Bob wrote:

>>> I went to "about:config" but the lines referring to "width" and
>>> "height" are not there. The only line I can find with anything to do
>>> with size is screen resolution which was set at 96.  I changed this
>>> to 100 but it made no difference.
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Bob
>> in the config editor, click on any entry, then right click and select
>> New, Integer.  In the first box enter browser.win_width and in the 2nd
>> box put in 800 or whatever number you want.  Repeat for the 2nd entry.
>>  You may have to restart FF for it to work.
>
> Many Thanks for your interest and advice which I have followed to the
> letter.  Unfortunately it has not made any difference to the way Firefox
> displays, it still sits with gaps around the edges. I actually put into
> the new integers the screen resolution that I have which is 1024 x 768.
> I presume these are the figures that you meant.
>
> Bob

Change back whatever the "100" was to "96".  This is the dpi setting,
and at 100 FF *might* be reducing the window size by 4%

Re: Window Size

Bob-51
Quaoar wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> in the config editor, click on any entry, then right click and select
>>> New, Integer.  In the first box enter browser.win_width and in the
>>> 2nd box put in 800 or whatever number you want.  Repeat for the 2nd
>>> entry.  You may have to restart FF for it to work.
>>
>> Many Thanks for your interest and advice which I have followed to the
>> letter.  Unfortunately it has not made any difference to the way
>> Firefox displays, it still sits with gaps around the edges. I actually
>> put into the new integers the screen resolution that I have which is
>> 1024 x 768.
>> I presume these are the figures that you meant.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Change back whatever the "100" was to "96".  This is the dpi setting,
> and at 100 FF *might* be reducing the window size by 4%

Thanks for that Q.  Did that but no change in display size.  Firefox is
not central or taking up the full screen area

Bob