Will Profiles help me?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Will Profiles help me?

Johnathon Wright
I am supporting two organizations who were in need of calendar sharing. One
organization is a church. The deacon of the church has asked me whether he
could have a separate instance of the program. Apparently he has a "side
business" and doesn't want to mix that calendar with the Church stuff.

I pretty much thought that wasn't going to be possible until I read about
multiple profiles.. using a command similar to this:

sunbird.exe -p MyNewProfile

If I do that will I be able to create separate sets of calendars so that he
can have one icon for the church calendar and one for his other
organization? Also, if he runs the calendar without the -p option, what will
happen? Will he be given a menu? Can you switch profiles from within the
program or do you have to exit?

I'm very excited about this program and want to thank everyone involved.

Thanks,
Johnathon


_______________________________________________
mozilla-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will Profiles help me?

Rod Whiteley
Johnathon Wright wrote:
> ...doesn't want to mix that calendar with the Church stuff...

I would use one instance of the program, and create a separate calendar
in the list of calendars.  There will be times when it is useful to see
both calendars overlaid, even if they are mostly separate.

> ...one icon for the church calendar and one for his other...

Yes, profiles can do that.  But Sunbird can only use one profile at a time.

> ...without the -p option, what will happen?

The default is "Don't ask at startup", meaning that Sunbird uses the
same profile as last time.  If the box is not checked, then Sunbird asks
which profile to use.

--
Rod Whiteley
_______________________________________________
mozilla-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will Profiles help me?

Johnathon Wright
Thanks for the very helpful response!

The church is already using multiple calendars and, although they have run
in to the 10 calendar limit, they are fining them very useful for making
sure that only certain people see certain events, etc. We are using PHPiCal
to put the results on the web. You can see them at our test website:
www.barnabas.us

This guy specifically requested that he not have the church calendars on the
same screen as his personal stuff. Where is the check-box for "don't ask
[about profiles] at startup"?? I think that solution is exactly what he
needs.

If there is a time and place for large amounts of feedback about the
programs in an active environment, let me know. I know they have quite a bit
of feedback. They are also anxiously awaiting the next gamma release of
Sunbird.

Johnathon

"Rod Whiteley" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Johnathon Wright wrote:
>> ...doesn't want to mix that calendar with the Church stuff...
>
> I would use one instance of the program, and create a separate calendar in
> the list of calendars.  There will be times when it is useful to see both
> calendars overlaid, even if they are mostly separate.
>
>> ...one icon for the church calendar and one for his other...
>
> Yes, profiles can do that.  But Sunbird can only use one profile at a
> time.
>
>> ...without the -p option, what will happen?
>
> The default is "Don't ask at startup", meaning that Sunbird uses the same
> profile as last time.  If the box is not checked, then Sunbird asks which
> profile to use.
>
> --
> Rod Whiteley


_______________________________________________
mozilla-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will Profiles help me?

Jeff Beal
Johnathon Wright wrote:

> Thanks for the very helpful response!
>
> This guy specifically requested that he not have the church calendars on the
> same screen as his personal stuff. Where is the check-box for "don't ask
> [about profiles] at startup"?? I think that solution is exactly what he
> needs.
>
>>> ...without the -p option, what will happen?
>> The default is "Don't ask at startup", meaning that Sunbird uses the same
>> profile as last time.  If the box is not checked, then Sunbird asks which
>> profile to use.
>>
>> --
>> Rod Whiteley
>
>

Instead of starting up SunBird with -p and the name of a profile, start
SunBird with the -ProfileManager argument.  This will open a dialog
allowing the user to create, rename, or delete existing profiles and
choose a profile to use.  This Profile Manager also has the check box to
not ask at startup, allowing essentially a default profile and multiple
additional profiles.

--
Jeff Beal
_______________________________________________
mozilla-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-calendar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Will Profiles help me?

Rod Whiteley
In reply to this post by Johnathon Wright
Johnathon Wright wrote:
> ...a time and place for large amounts of feedback...

Anyone can use Bugzilla for formal feedback.  Each issue needs a
separate bug report.  Before creating a new bug, check that the problem
exists in the latest nightly test build, and that it has not been
reported already.  Bugzilla is not just for errors in the code--you can
use it to raise wider issues and request future enhancements.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org

--
Rod Whiteley
_______________________________________________
mozilla-calendar mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-calendar