Wildcards in message filters

unfrostedpoptart
Hi all.

I've searched everywhere and tried various things, but I can't figure
this out.  Do the message filters allow wildcards or, better yet,
regular expressions?    I get tons of junk email/spam to random
usernames on my domain.  These forward to the admin account, so I have
to wade through them all.  I noticed that most have numbers in the
username, so I'd like it to match on anything like
*[0-9]*@mydomain.com.  I can't see any way to do this and can't find
any decent documentation on Mozilla sites.

If it matters, I'm running TB 1.5 on OSX 10.4.3.

Thanks for any help,

 David

Re: Wildcards in message filters

gwtc
unfrostedpoptart wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've searched everywhere and tried various things, but I can't figure
> this out.  Do the message filters allow wildcards or, better yet,
> regular expressions?    I get tons of junk email/spam to random
> usernames on my domain.  These forward to the admin account, so I have
> to wade through them all.  I noticed that most have numbers in the
> username, so I'd like it to match on anything like
> *[0-9]*@mydomain.com.  I can't see any way to do this and can't find
> any decent documentation on Mozilla sites.
>
> If it matters, I'm running TB 1.5 on OSX 10.4.3.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
>  David

I don't think it can

Re: Wildcards in message filters

M Cowperthwaite
unfrostedpoptart wrote:
> I've searched everywhere and tried various things, but I can't figure
> this out.  Do the message filters allow wildcards or, better yet,
> regular expressions?    I get tons of junk email/spam to random
> usernames on my domain.  These forward to the admin account, so I have
> to wade through them all.  I noticed that most have numbers in the
> username, so I'd like it to match on anything like
> *[0-9]*@mydomain.com.  I can't see any way to do this and can't find
> any decent documentation on Mozilla sites.

There's a pretty old RFE for regular-expressions in filter criteria:
   http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=66423

--
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.

Re: Wildcards in message filters

SilverWave
unfrostedpoptart wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I've searched everywhere and tried various things, but I can't figure
> this out.  Do the message filters allow wildcards or, better yet,
> regular expressions?    I get tons of junk email/spam to random
> usernames on my domain.  These forward to the admin account, so I have
> to wade through them all.  I noticed that most have numbers in the
> username, so I'd like it to match on anything like
> *[0-9]*@mydomain.com.  I can't see any way to do this and can't find
> any decent documentation on Mozilla sites.
>
> If it matters, I'm running TB 1.5 on OSX 10.4.3.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
>  David

That would be very useful, but I've not seen this functionality...
I'm assuming you have turned on the "Junk Mail Controls" and enabled the
  adaptive filter..

After a couple of weeks of training these started to catch most of my
Junk...

I did  also change the server settings on my account to "Fetch Headers
Only", this stops the downloading of any attachments before the junk
filter moves them out of Inbox.

This speeded up the downloading of new mail and also stopped any virus
attachments being sent with the junk :)

Hope this help :)

--
Cheers