Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

toddeswe
Hi

Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!

It's terrible to use.

I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.

Why?

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

caver1-5
On 01/23/2015 03:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi
>
> Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
>
> It's terrible to use.
>
> I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
>
> Why?

What version of Android and Firefox are you using?
I have Android 4.4.2-Kitkat on my tablet and Firefox 35.
Just went to expression.se and it loaded as fast as on my desktop and
there is no jerkiness.
How is your ram and cache?

--
Caver1

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Ralph Fox-4
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:14:54 -0800 (PST), [hidden email] wrote:

> Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
> It's terrible to use.
> I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
> Why?

The site loaded in less than 5 seconds for me.  Scrolling was smooth.
Android 4.2.2, Firefox 35.0

There is a big flash plugin at the top of the page.  I have Flash
disabled, so I just see a grey rectangle.  I might speculate that
Flash could be causing performance problems, but I don't see that
myself without Flash.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Den lördag 24 januari 2015 kl. 02:19:14 UTC+1 skrev Ralph Fox:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:14:54 -0800 (PST), [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
> > It's terrible to use.
> > I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
> > Why?
>

> The site loaded in less than 5 seconds for me.  Scrolling was smooth.
> Android 4.2.2, Firefox 35.0
>

> There is a big flash plugin at the top of the page.  I have Flash
> disabled, so I just see a grey rectangle.  I might speculate that
> Flash could be causing performance problems, but I don't see that
> myself without Flash.
>

> --
> Kind regards
> Ralph

Hi

I tried turning off the addon thingy if that's what you ment?! But still it's far worse than the built in browser. I think something has happened to our Swedish news sites lately.

ToddeSwe

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

chomisyann
YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the same page!
This is tooooo slow to be used.
I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Ron Hunter
On 11/10/2015 9:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
> I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the same page!
> This is tooooo slow to be used.
> I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.

Exactly the same thing I found.  One reason is the rendering engine, I
suppose.  I have a tablet with what is considered the standard
resolution (1024x768) for Windows, so WHY does Firefox not present the
same user interface I see on my PC?  Where is my bookmark toolbar?  Why
does the tablet version look like it was intended for a phone?  This
'one size fits all' thinking is getting a bit hard to take, so I keep
trying Firefox, in hopes they have changed, but so far, they have NOT.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

WaltS48
On 11/10/2015 12:00 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
>> I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the
>> same page!
>> This is tooooo slow to be used.
>> I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.
>>
> Exactly the same thing I found.  One reason is the rendering engine, I
> suppose.  I have a tablet with what is considered the standard
> resolution (1024x768) for Windows, so WHY does Firefox not present the
> same user interface I see on my PC?  Where is my bookmark toolbar?  Why
> does the tablet version look like it was intended for a phone?  This
> 'one size fits all' thinking is getting a bit hard to take, so I keep
> trying Firefox, in hopes they have changed, but so far, they have NOT.

Nothing like a 10 month old thread to bring Ron out to diss Firefox.
Happy to see you are okay after all that bad weather in Texas. :)

Is Firefox on Android now, the same version that Caver1 and Ralph Fox
mentioned having no problems with when they responded back in January?

Todd also mentioned something about Swedish news sites changing.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 45.0a1 (Daily)
You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Bob Henson-4
On 10/11/2015 5:22 pm, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 12:00 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
>>> I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the
>>> same page!
>>> This is tooooo slow to be used.
>>> I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.
>>>
>> Exactly the same thing I found.  One reason is the rendering engine, I
>> suppose.  I have a tablet with what is considered the standard
>> resolution (1024x768) for Windows, so WHY does Firefox not present the
>> same user interface I see on my PC?  Where is my bookmark toolbar?  Why
>> does the tablet version look like it was intended for a phone?  This
>> 'one size fits all' thinking is getting a bit hard to take, so I keep
>> trying Firefox, in hopes they have changed, but so far, they have NOT.
>>

> Nothing like a 10 month old thread to bring Ron out to diss Firefox.
> Happy to see you are okay after all that bad weather in Texas. :)
>
> Is Firefox on Android now, the same version that Caver1 and Ralph Fox
> mentioned having no problems with when they responded back in January?
>
> Todd also mentioned something about Swedish news sites changing.

It is not just Ron that thinks that way. Out of sheer cussedness -
because I just WANT Firefox to be as good as it used to be when it first
knocked the spots off Internet Explorer - I gave it another try on my
PCs, my tablet, and my phone a short while back. I persisted past the
point where I really should have realised it isn't a patch on Chrome on
the tablet and the phone (whilst reasonable on the PC, albeit missing
some compatibility with other things I use) in the interests of giving
it a fair test. I am back to Chrome on all three, and will be staying
there - unless I read that Firefox has had a major revamp to make it
competitive again.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

On 11/10/2015 11:22 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 12:00 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
>>> I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the
>>> same page!
>>> This is tooooo slow to be used.
>>> I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.
>>>
>> Exactly the same thing I found.  One reason is the rendering engine, I
>> suppose.  I have a tablet with what is considered the standard
>> resolution (1024x768) for Windows, so WHY does Firefox not present the
>> same user interface I see on my PC?  Where is my bookmark toolbar?  Why
>> does the tablet version look like it was intended for a phone?  This
>> 'one size fits all' thinking is getting a bit hard to take, so I keep
>> trying Firefox, in hopes they have changed, but so far, they have NOT.
>>

> Nothing like a 10 month old thread to bring Ron out to diss Firefox.
> Happy to see you are okay after all that bad weather in Texas. :)
>
> Is Firefox on Android now, the same version that Caver1 and Ralph Fox
> mentioned having no problems with when they responded back in January?
>
> Todd also mentioned something about Swedish news sites changing.

There was a recent update, so I tried it again, and deleted it, again.
We had some bad weather, with rain, and my niece had some damage to
their property, but it missed their house.  Minor damage north of here,
but nothing in my area.  That's Texas weather, and much better here than
riding out hurricanes down near Galveston where I grew up.

On 11/10/2015 1:58 PM, Bob Henson wrote:

> On 10/11/2015 5:22 pm, WaltS48 wrote:
>>>>
>>> Exactly the same thing I found.  One reason is the rendering engine, I
>>> suppose.  I have a tablet with what is considered the standard
>>> resolution (1024x768) for Windows, so WHY does Firefox not present the
>>> same user interface I see on my PC?  Where is my bookmark toolbar?  Why
>>> does the tablet version look like it was intended for a phone?  This
>>> 'one size fits all' thinking is getting a bit hard to take, so I keep
>>> trying Firefox, in hopes they have changed, but so far, they have NOT.
>>>

>> Nothing like a 10 month old thread to bring Ron out to diss Firefox.
>> Happy to see you are okay after all that bad weather in Texas. :)
>>
>> Is Firefox on Android now, the same version that Caver1 and Ralph Fox
>> mentioned having no problems with when they responded back in January?
>>
>> Todd also mentioned something about Swedish news sites changing.
>>

> It is not just Ron that thinks that way. Out of sheer cussedness -
> because I just WANT Firefox to be as good as it used to be when it first
> knocked the spots off Internet Explorer - I gave it another try on my
> PCs, my tablet, and my phone a short while back. I persisted past the
> point where I really should have realised it isn't a patch on Chrome on
> the tablet and the phone (whilst reasonable on the PC, albeit missing
> some compatibility with other things I use) in the interests of giving
> it a fair test. I am back to Chrome on all three, and will be staying
> there - unless I read that Firefox has had a major revamp to make it
> competitive again.

I find Dolphin works nicely on my tablet, and Phone (iPhone).  Don't use
Chrome at all.  IE rarely, and Safari only when unavoidable.

On 11/11/2015 1:14 am, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 11/10/2015 1:58 PM, Bob Henson wrote:

>>> Nothing like a 10 month old thread to bring Ron out to diss Firefox.
>>> Happy to see you are okay after all that bad weather in Texas. :)
>>>
>>> Is Firefox on Android now, the same version that Caver1 and Ralph Fox
>>> mentioned having no problems with when they responded back in January?
>>>
>>> Todd also mentioned something about Swedish news sites changing.
>>>

>> It is not just Ron that thinks that way. Out of sheer cussedness -
>> because I just WANT Firefox to be as good as it used to be when it first
>> knocked the spots off Internet Explorer - I gave it another try on my
>> PCs, my tablet, and my phone a short while back. I persisted past the
>> point where I really should have realised it isn't a patch on Chrome on
>> the tablet and the phone (whilst reasonable on the PC, albeit missing
>> some compatibility with other things I use) in the interests of giving
>> it a fair test. I am back to Chrome on all three, and will be staying
>> there - unless I read that Firefox has had a major revamp to make it
>> competitive again.
>>
> I find Dolphin works nicely on my tablet, and Phone (iPhone).  Don't use
> Chrome at all.  IE rarely, and Safari only when unavoidable.

I used Dolphin (and liked it) for a while, but it didn't integrate well
with RoboForm. When Roboform had a spell where it no longer worked well
with any of the browsers, I switched to LastPass, and then back to
Chrome because the combination worked well. Admittedly PastPass worked
well with Firefox too, but as Firefox was poor otherwise, I stuck with
Chrome/LastPass as the optimal combination. Optimal for me, that is -
the various "browser wars" threads over the years show just how much our
requirements vary from person to person. However, it must take a rare
degree of bias for anyone to think Firefox is the best browser on Android.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

Very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes.

On 11/11/2015 1:38 AM, Bob Henson wrote:

> On 11/11/2015 1:14 am, Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> It is not just Ron that thinks that way. Out of sheer cussedness -
>>> because I just WANT Firefox to be as good as it used to be when it first
>>> knocked the spots off Internet Explorer - I gave it another try on my
>>> PCs, my tablet, and my phone a short while back. I persisted past the
>>> point where I really should have realised it isn't a patch on Chrome on
>>> the tablet and the phone (whilst reasonable on the PC, albeit missing
>>> some compatibility with other things I use) in the interests of giving
>>> it a fair test. I am back to Chrome on all three, and will be staying
>>> there - unless I read that Firefox has had a major revamp to make it
>>> competitive again.
>>>
>> I find Dolphin works nicely on my tablet, and Phone (iPhone).  Don't use
>> Chrome at all.  IE rarely, and Safari only when unavoidable.
>>

> I used Dolphin (and liked it) for a while, but it didn't integrate well
> with RoboForm. When Roboform had a spell where it no longer worked well
> with any of the browsers, I switched to LastPass, and then back to
> Chrome because the combination worked well. Admittedly PastPass worked
> well with Firefox too, but as Firefox was poor otherwise, I stuck with
> Chrome/LastPass as the optimal combination. Optimal for me, that is -
> the various "browser wars" threads over the years show just how much our
> requirements vary from person to person. However, it must take a rare
> degree of bias for anyone to think Firefox is the best browser on Android.

Since I don't use any external password system (they all seem bad for
security to me), Dolphin seems to serve my needs best at this point.
Always hoping Firefox will come around, but so far, it is still running
a bit behind.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Ron Hunter
On 11/10/2015 9:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> YES firefox is very very slow compared to any other android web browser.
> I just tested 15 seconds compared to 7 seconds for chrome to load the same page!
> This is tooooo slow to be used.
> I have 1GB of RAM tablet and smartphone and it does the same.

OK, I found the current version of Firefox for IOS.  Seems that there is
a Firefox for iPhone that is NOT the same, and costs $5.  I installed
the free version, and it doesn't impress me at all.  It is quite fast on
the iPhone 6, but lacks anything that I normally identify with Firefox,
either in the user interface, or extensibility.  I guess it is a start.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

e.sam.dance
On Friday, 23 January 2015 13:14:54 UTC-7, [hidden email]  wrote:
> Hi
>
> Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
>
> It's terrible to use.
>
> I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
>
> Why?

I have been using Firefox on my old S3 for 2 years now and it's been a great and robust browser with great plugins like noscript and adblock.  Not sure if it was the fastest however as I never did any comparisons.

However, I just bought a Samsung Note 4, which I updated to Android 5.xx and I've noticed that the page scrolling is really jerky.  If I use chrome, the scrolling is really smooth.  I'm also getting lots of crashes while using Firefox but I need to try it without the plugins to make sure that they are not the cause.

Don't like bashing Firefox as I've been using it on my computer forever and would really like to be using it on my phone. Until this gets sorted, I'm using Chrome.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

jacemace5005
On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 12:14:54 PM UTC-8, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
>
> It's terrible to use.
>
> I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
>
> Why?

I've tried chrome, dolphin, firefox, android browser, adblock browser (based on firefox, I think) - I wan't to use firefox, because I can add the extensions I like; but it is very slow - the other browsers aren't great either (for varying reasons) - still looking for a good android browser.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Wolf K.
On 2016-02-28 00:44, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 12:14:54 PM UTC-8, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
>>
>> It's terrible to use.
>>
>> I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
>>
>> Why?
>
> I've tried chrome, dolphin, firefox, android browser, adblock browser (based on firefox, I think) - I wan't to use firefox, because I can add the extensions I like; but it is very slow - the other browsers aren't great either (for varying reasons) - still looking for a good android browser.

I assume you're using it on a smartphone or Android tablet. That's the
problem: I think that's smartphones are pretty good, but they're not
really powerful enough for desktop style programs. I use the browser
built into my smartphone (Samsung S5). I have no idea what it is, but
it's more than fast enough for checking news and running the occasional
video. Seems to me that the other browsers haven't been optimised for
Android.

Footnote: I also have a Surface 2, it is a PC in tablet format running
on Win 8.1 Runs FF with no issues whatsoever.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

Christian Riechers-3
On 02/28/2016 03:08 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
> Seems to me that the other browsers haven't been optimised for Android.

I suppose that's why it's called Firefox for Android?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox&hl=en

On 2016-02-28 10:32, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 02/28/2016 03:08 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
>> Seems to me that the other browsers haven't been optimised for Android.
>
> I suppose that's why it's called Firefox for Android?
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox&hl=en

Just because it's been ported to Android doesn't mean it's been
optimised for Android.

Have a good day.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

gmwul58
Op zondag 28 februari 2016 06:44:04 UTC+1 schreef [hidden email]:

> On Friday, January 23, 2015 at 12:14:54 PM UTC-8, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Take a look at www.expressen.se and tell me why firefox for Android is jerky and slow now days?!
> >
> > It's terrible to use.
> >
> > I tried Chrome but it erased my bookmarks went back to Firefox that i always have used. But lately it is terrible to use.
> >
> > Why?
>
> I've tried chrome, dolphin, firefox, android browser, adblock browser (based on firefox, I think) - I wan't to use firefox, because I can add the extensions I like; but it is very slow - the other browsers aren't great either (for varying reasons) - still looking for a good android browser.

I've tried Chrome (it does not support Roboform), admittedly it is fast, I tried Firefox, wayyy too slow: clicking on a link, nothing happens for a while, ended up with Dolphin, being quite fast.
I would recommend Dolphin. Also their support is okay: you can send them an email and... get a reply. Try that with the others  :-)

Re: Why is firefox for Android slow and jerky?

mustang5point0lx
A Google search came up with this post.
I'm on a Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3. Firefox V 47.0. Also have Firefox Beta. BOTH versions are SLOW. Scrolling is like it's in slow motion. It moves slow and just floats along like a person floating in zero gravity. It will scroll a bit faster if you give it a hard flick, but still not that fast. Chrome is a lot faster.... but I HATE using it (loaded with problems). Firefox used to be really fast back in the days of versions 20-25. Their reformatted versions have been rubbish.

Lets see... and then there's the problem of the text size setting. Regardless if the text size is set to HUGE or to "tiny" .. the text size will NOT change. It's the same damn problem on both normal and BETA versions. I've reported it in earlier versions but it still exists. This problem does not happen on the stock Samsung browser "Internet" (on Internet, it will change to whatever you set it on any website).

And there is also the issue of the top blue bar in Desktop Facebook site. When you zoom in, the dumb bar will just stick and zoom in to the far left side. Even if you scroll to the right side of the screen, the blue bar stays stuck on the far left edge of the search bar. Very aggravating. Chrome does not do this.