Why do some Mozilla extensions require me to uninstall manually when overinstalling/upgrade them?

Why do some Mozilla extensions require me to uninstall manually when overinstalling/upgrade them?

Ant-3
Hi,

I noticed some extensions for Mozilla v1.7.x requires me to manually
remove the old installed extensions before overinstalling/upgrading due
to "chrome" errors and others. Why does Firefox doesn't require this? I
have seen this in all platforms (Windows 2000 and XP, MacOS X 10.2.8,
and Linux/Debian).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"..., you ready for a little dumpster diving?" "Um... okay." "You know I
don't mind getting my hands dirty." "I mean, maggots, wet trash, I am
  | |o   o| |        Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: [hidden email]
      ( )                                           or [hidden email]