Why 1.5.0.x ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why 1.5.0.x ?

Chris Ilias
According to
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2005/10/17/extension-versioning-in-firefox-and-thunderbird-15/
stability and security updates on 1.5 will be versioned 1.5.0.1,
1.5.0.2, 1.5.0.3, etc..
Why the change from incrementing it by 0.0.1? (1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.)
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Boris Zbarsky
Chris Ilias wrote:
> stability and security updates on 1.5 will be versioned 1.5.0.1,
> 1.5.0.2, 1.5.0.3, etc..
> Why the change from incrementing it by 0.0.1? (1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.)

I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if those happen.

-Boris
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

FredBezies
Le 10/18/05 3:49 PM,  Boris Zbarsky a écrit :

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> stability and security updates on 1.5 will be versioned 1.5.0.1,
>> 1.5.0.2, 1.5.0.3, etc..
>> Why the change from incrementing it by 0.0.1? (1.5.1, 1.5.2, etc.)
>
> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if those
> happen.
>
> -Boris

Well, it is more logical in a way.

I don't think there will be a lot of UI update only, maybe adding a
better version of RSS reader like the one there was in trunk some times
ago ?

--
Frederic Bezies - [hidden email]

Site Perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frederic.bezies/
Weblog :  http://frederic.bezies.free.fr/blog/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Chris Ilias
In reply to this post by Boris Zbarsky
_Boris Zbarsky_ spoke thusly:
> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if those
> happen.

Thanks. It would be nice if the version number indicated whether or not
a security update contains other stability fixes. In other words,
indicate if the fixes were applied to the latest branch nightly, or
latest release build.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Alejandro Torras
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Boris Zbarsky_ spoke thusly:
>> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if
>> those happen.
>
> Thanks. It would be nice if the version number indicated whether or not
> a security update contains other stability fixes. In other words,
> indicate if the fixes were applied to the latest branch nightly, or
> latest release build.

I agree with you.

I think that a public <stable-feauture-pack>.<fix-pack> scheme should be
clearer and more efective.

The public word means a non-developer view.

The fix-pack section should be bug-fixes and security fixes, everythig
else sould be in the other section.

One thing, I put the pack suffix for marketing purposes ;-)

atec_post.vcf (173 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Ognyan Kulev
In reply to this post by Boris Zbarsky
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if those
> happen.

Personally, I like 1.6.x, 1.7.x more for UI changes (x is security update).

Regards,
ogi
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

FredBezies
In reply to this post by Boris Zbarsky
Le 10/20/05 3:13 PM,  Ognyan Kulev a écrit :

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if
>> those happen.
>
> Personally, I like 1.6.x, 1.7.x more for UI changes (x is security update).
>
> Regards,
> ogi

Erh...

Trunk is tagged 1.6alpha1 ;)

And the new stable version after 1.5 will be 2.0 ;)

--
Frederic Bezies - [hidden email]

Site Perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frederic.bezies/
Weblog :  http://frederic.bezies.free.fr/blog/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Matthias Wallner
Frederic Bezies wrote:

> Le 10/20/05 3:13 PM,  Ognyan Kulev a écrit :
>
>> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if
>>> those happen.
>>
>> Personally, I like 1.6.x, 1.7.x more for UI changes (x is security
>> update).
>>
>> Regards,
>> ogi
>
> Erh...
>
> Trunk is tagged 1.6alpha1 ;)
>
> And the new stable version after 1.5 will be 2.0 ;)
>

So that means the Trunk should be named 1.9alpha1 and not 1.6...

--
mfg, Matthias Wallner
Antworten bitte nur in die Newsgroup.
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

FredBezies
Le 10/20/05 8:50 PM,  Matthias Wallner a écrit :

> Frederic Bezies wrote:
>> Le 10/20/05 3:13 PM,  Ognyan Kulev a écrit :
>>
>>> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>>> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if
>>>> those happen.
>>> Personally, I like 1.6.x, 1.7.x more for UI changes (x is security
>>> update).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> ogi
>> Erh...
>>
>> Trunk is tagged 1.6alpha1 ;)
>>
>> And the new stable version after 1.5 will be 2.0 ;)
>>
>
> So that means the Trunk should be named 1.9alpha1 and not 1.6...
>

I mean 1.6alpha1 for firefox, not gecko which is 1.9a1 ;)

--
Frederic Bezies - [hidden email]

Site Perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/frederic.bezies/
Weblog :  http://frederic.bezies.free.fr/blog/
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

Leonidas Jones
Frederic Bezies wrote:

> Le 10/20/05 8:50 PM,  Matthias Wallner a écrit :
>
>> Frederic Bezies wrote:
>>> Le 10/20/05 3:13 PM,  Ognyan Kulev a écrit :
>>>
>>>> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>>>> I believe the plan is for 1.5.x to be UI-feature-only updates, if
>>>>> those happen.
>>>> Personally, I like 1.6.x, 1.7.x more for UI changes (x is security
>>>> update).
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> ogi
>>> Erh...
>>>
>>> Trunk is tagged 1.6alpha1 ;)
>>>
>>> And the new stable version after 1.5 will be 2.0 ;)
>>>
>>
>> So that means the Trunk should be named 1.9alpha1 and not 1.6...
>>
>
> I mean 1.6alpha1 for firefox, not gecko which is 1.9a1 ;)
>

This would seen to indicate the new versioning scheme is to bring FF and
TB in line with the Gecko versioning, now that the Suite is no longer
being issued.

Lee
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why 1.5.0.x ?

user-41
In reply to this post by Matthias Wallner
Matthias Wallner wrote:
> Frederic Bezies wrote:
>>And the new stable version after 1.5 will be 2.0 ;)
>
> So that means the Trunk should be named 1.9alpha1 and not 1.6...

Not really, after 1.9 you'll have 1.10. Stables and clean nice version
numbers is not the same thing.

--
/Martin Bagge
mail: [hidden email]
PGP:  http://martin.bagge.nu/pgp.asc
web:  http://martin.bagge.nu
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-seamonkey mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-seamonkey