Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Ant-21
Hello.

I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
Mozilla's products because they are better?

For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.

What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"She's got ants in her pants." --unknown
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Mike Easter-2
Ant wrote:

> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?

I don't know about the better term.  I use Tb as my 'favorite' news or
mail agent, but other agents do some/ a number of/ things 'better' than Tb.

I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features of
such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.

> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.

I think the addons is an important strength of Firefox.

> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

--
Mike Easter

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

David E. Ross-3
On 9/1/13 12:32 AM, Ant wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I went from Netscape to Mozilla Suite to SeaMonkey for my browser.

I went from Netscape to Mozilla Suite to Thunderbird for my news reader.
 I don't use SeaMonkey for that because I have several SeaMonkey
profiles among which I keep switching; I don't want to lose my current
newsreader session on each switch of a browser profile.

I still use Eudora Lite (3.0.6 from about 16 years ago) for E-mail.  I
don't do HTML-formatted messages, so it suffices.  And it has features
that are still not in Thunderbird (although there are bug reports
requesting those features).

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam from that source.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

jetjock
Mike Easter wrote:

> Ant wrote:
>
>> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
>> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
>> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>

> I don't know about the better term.  I use Tb as my 'favorite' news or
> mail agent, but other agents do some/ a number of/ things 'better'
> than Tb.
>
> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features of
> such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.
>
>> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
>> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
>> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>

> I think the addons is an important strength of Firefox.
>
>> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I still remember sending my money in for the old Netscape browser.
Thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I didn't have to use the old
Web addresses to surf anymore. Went through all the various iterations
of Netscape until the Mozilla suites came along. I'm still using 1.7.13
suite to type this, but have been using Firefox as my browser since it
came out. Stopped updating that at version 18.0.1 when they decided that
they knew better than I did what fonts to use and started changing them
without any input from me.

 I've always used Forte Agent (either Free Agent or Agent) as my
newsreader (except for here in the Mozilla groups). It's what I started
with, works great so I saw no reason to learn something new. Dabbled
with Newsbin for a while, but always went back to Agent. Same thing for
Eudora. Started out using that for email and since it still works just
fine (v 7.1.0.9 Paid) I never saw a need to switch to TB.

I was really looking forward to being able to use Firefox Mobile on my
new Android phone, but was extreemly disappointed by just how agonizing
slow it was. I tried the same Website in Chrome Mobile & Firefox Mobile.
Firefox took 18 secs. and Chrome took 2.5 secs. Therefore, Chrome is my
browser on my phone.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Ron Hunter
On 9/1/2013 2:32 AM, Ant wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I like the ability to customize, and enhance, the program.  This is even
more important these days when every release seems to delete some
feature, setting, or option.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Paddlefoot
Mike Easter wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>
>> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
>> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
>> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> I don't know about the better term.  I use Tb as my 'favorite' news or
> mail agent, but other agents do some/ a number of/ things 'better' than Tb.

Seamonkey mail/news here.

> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features of
> such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.

If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
of the Add-Ons.

>> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
>> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
>> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> I think the addons is an important strength of Firefox.

ditto, but I could be swayed.  Chrome seems a tad snappier.

>> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

--
Carbon:  Father of the elements.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Big Al-2

Ant said on 9/1/2013 3:32 AM:

> Hello.
>
> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I used outlook express for a few but quickly went to Thunderbird and
have stayed with it.   Love the calendar and how it creates ICS files
that I can use in other programs.

Used Netscape and still have a CD I ordered due to modem internet
issues, and then Firefox, but gave up years ago on Firefox for Chrome.
  I can't open 40 tabs in Firefox like I can Chrome.   Chrome lacks
customization but I found that most of that is "pretty" things and other
than not having the FTP add-on, I'm doing better with Chrome.   And
since my provider has dropped FTP service even that is an issue.

I use TB to read news, but download with a news program that assembles
files better.

Paddlefoot said on 9/1/2013 1:42 PM:

> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
> probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
> of the Add-Ons.

Odd cause the reason I use Chrome is for the way tabs work.   For me I
need to (want to) open 40 tabs at a time.

I'm curious, how do you define Chrome's tab handling issues?

On 9/1/2013 12:42 PM, Paddlefoot wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>
>>> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
>>> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
>>> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>>
>> I don't know about the better term.  I use Tb as my 'favorite' news or
>> mail agent, but other agents do some/ a number of/ things 'better' than Tb.
>
> Seamonkey mail/news here.
>
>> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features of
>> such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.
>
> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
> probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
> of the Add-Ons.
>
>>> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
>>> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
>>> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>>
>> I think the addons is an important strength of Firefox.
>
> ditto, but I could be swayed.  Chrome seems a tad snappier.
>
>>> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

the Google search page (my homepage).  On Chrome, that is more like 10
seconds.  Not sure why, as it used to be faster than Firefox.

Paddlefoot wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features
>> of such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.
>
> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof)
> I'd probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd
> miss some of the Add-Ons.

I don't know what tab feature you would like:

old 2012 Feb
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57374253-285/five-smart-ways-to-handle-multiple-tabs-in-chrome/
  Five smart ways to handle multiple tabs in Chrome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tab-manager/coonecdghnepgiblpccbbihiahajndda?hl=en
  Let's you very easy and fast handle your tabs! - user review: My most
used extension.

Jul reply to:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/LfkGcfiE__w  200+
Tab open Club - How Chrome fails to handle 100-200 + tabs unlike FF does

Reply sez: stacked tabs; multiple windows; suggested tab managers; and
workarounds
--
Mike Easter

Big_Al wrote:

> Paddlefoot said on 9/1/2013 1:42 PM:
>>
>> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
>> probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
>> of the Add-Ons.
>>
> Odd cause the reason I use Chrome is for the way tabs work.   For me I
> need to (want to) open 40 tabs at a time.
>
> I'm curious, how do you define Chrome's tab handling issues?

Location and size sums it up pretty well.  They're in the wrong location
(for me).  I want them under the Bookmarks Bar (closer mouse movement)
and they totally ignore my system font settings.  Hard coded to do so.
The Chrome developers have a multitude of bugs marked "Will Not Fix"
regarding this issue.

I seldom have more than a half dozen tabs open at any one time.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 9/1/2013 12:42 PM, Paddlefoot wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> I don't know about the better term.  I use Tb as my 'favorite' news or
>>> mail agent, but other agents do some/ a number of/ things 'better'
>>> than Tb.
>>
>> Seamonkey mail/news here.
>>
>>> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features of
>>> such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.
>>
>> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
>> probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
>> of the Add-Ons.

>>> I think the addons is an important strength of Firefox.
>>
>> ditto, but I could be swayed.  Chrome seems a tad snappier.

> the Google search page (my homepage).  On Chrome, that is more like 10
> seconds.  Not sure why, as it used to be faster than Firefox.

That's roughly my load time with Chrome and 4 "Home" tabs.

Mike Easter wrote:

> Paddlefoot wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>>> I use Chrome as my 'favorite' browser, but there are some features
>>> of such as Firefox that are 'better' than Chrome's.
>>
>> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof)
>> I'd probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd
>> miss some of the Add-Ons.
>
> I don't know what tab feature you would like:
>
> old 2012 Feb
> http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57374253-285/five-smart-ways-to-handle-multiple-tabs-in-chrome/
>  Five smart ways to handle multiple tabs in Chrome
>
> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tab-manager/coonecdghnepgiblpccbbihiahajndda?hl=en
>  Let's you very easy and fast handle your tabs! - user review: My most
> used extension.
>
> Jul reply to:
> http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/LfkGcfiE__w  200+
> Tab open Club - How Chrome fails to handle 100-200 + tabs unlike FF does
>
> Reply sez: stacked tabs; multiple windows; suggested tab managers; and
> workarounds

Thanks Mike, but my complaint is a bit more prosaic than that.  I need a
larger font.

--
Carbon:  Father of the elements.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Ant-21
On 9/1/2013 10:40 AM PT, Ron Hunter typed:

> I like the ability to customize, and enhance, the program.  This is even
> more important these days when every release seems to delete some
> feature, setting, or option.

Yeah, but Mozilla keeps adding stuff we don't want. Ugh! Why not just
make a slim product and then let us add stuff manually? Sheesh. Maybe it
needs to be like Kernel where can we compile our own, but then that is
difficult and unsupported. :P
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

W3BNR
On 9/1/2013 3:32 AM Ant submitted the following:

> Hello.
>
> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

Started many years ago, before MS, with keyboard entry using Sun systems
and Unix. No real browsers in those days.

Graduated to DataStorm's Procomm and then Procomm + using MS-DOS.

Next came NetScape, Mozilla, and finally SeaMonkey with Windows.

SeaMonkey now on my desktop Win7 machine and both my laptops which run
Linux Mint.

Ed, W3BNR

On 9/1/2013 1:00 PM, Paddlefoot wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Seamonkey mail/news here.

>>> If Chrome would do something with its Tab handling (or lack thereof) I'd
>>> probably drop Seamonkey and Firefox.  Maybe after a while I'd miss some
>>> of the Add-Ons.

>>> ditto, but I could be swayed.  Chrome seems a tad snappier.

>> the Google search page (my homepage).  On Chrome, that is more like 10
>> seconds.  Not sure why, as it used to be faster than Firefox.
>
> That's roughly my load time with Chrome and 4 "Home" tabs.

I don't understand why it seems to only do that when I go to google
search.  maybe because I am not signed in to Google+ on Chrome...

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Jay Garcia
On 01.09.2013 02:32, Ant wrote:

> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I have no reason to change.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Ant-21
On 9/1/2013 1:36 PM PT, W3BNR typed:

> Started many years ago, before MS, with keyboard entry using Sun systems
> and Unix. No real browsers in those days.

Not even Lynx?

> Graduated to DataStorm's Procomm and then Procomm + using MS-DOS.

Ha, I remember those! I even used Procomm+ for Windows! I think I used
Q-Modem before that.

> Next came NetScape, Mozilla, and finally SeaMonkey with Windows.
>
> SeaMonkey now on my desktop Win7 machine and both my laptops which run
> Linux Mint.

Same for me in both Debian (stable) and Windows (64-bit 7 and XP Pro. SP3).
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a subtle
blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
    /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Ant graced us with on 9/1/2013
12:32 AM:

> Hello.
>
> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?
>
> For me, I have been using Mozilla's suite products since Netscape days.
> I didn't and still don't like IE, Opera, Outlook, Chrome, etc. I like
> the addons, configurations, etc. in Mozilla's web browsers too.
>
> What about the rest of you? Thank you in advance. :)

I prefer Mozilla's browsers (Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox) because of their
awesome configurability features, e.g., userChrome/userContent,
must-have Add-ons like (TMP, oldbar, S4E, &c), tabbar, Customize and
full themes ...

I prefer Windows Mail (nee, Outlook Express) for my personal email and
Outlook for business correspondence. I prefer Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 for
newsgroups due to performance and ease of use issues (i only use text-mode.)

--
Sailfish

Re: Who stayed with Mozilla's products (Firefox, Thunderbird, and/or SeaMonkey)?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Ant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know there are tons of non-Mozilla products like Outlook, Chrome,
> Opera, Internet Explorer (IE), etc. How many of you stayed with
> Mozilla's products because they are better?

For web browsing, the only time I left the NCSA > Netscape > Mozilla
string of products was to use Opera instead of the Mozilla Suite for a
year or two.  Opera was displaying ad banners at the time, but I found
even that preferable to the kitchen-sink UI of the Suite once enough
clutter had been added to it.  I went back to Mozilla with Fx tech
preview 0.6 or 0.7.

For e-mail and news, I've never used Mozilla products.  I followed
them, hoping they'd turn into something good, but they never did.  (I
did use Outlook Express for a while, though it never turned into
anything good either.)