Which debugger for use with embedded spidermonkey (non-web)

Which debugger for use with embedded spidermonkey (non-web)

Colin Fraser-2
Hi,

I have been working with Spidermonkey, embedding it to make my application
scriptable (to replace a legacy proprietary scripting language) and it is
working well.  However I've reached a point where I want to start debugging
scripts and I'm not clear which direction to go.

There seem to be various options (ie Firebug & Venkman) if I was debugging
in a browser, but I need to debug *embedded* spidermonkey scripts and no
browser is involved.

Has anyone else solved this problem?
What is the 'state of the art' in terms of spidermonkey debugging?
Is it possible to use one of the browser debuggers in conjunction with an
embedded spidermonkey engine?

I know there are debug hooks in the spidermonkey API that would let me do it
at a low level but I can't help feeling that someone else must have solved
this problem before and I shouldn't need to reinvent the wheel ;)

Any advice or pointers to more info welcome,
Regards
Colin Fraser

Re: Which debugger for use with embedded spidermonkey (non-web)

Colin Fraser-2
"Colin Fraser"  wrote in message
> What is the 'state of the art' in terms of spidermonkey debugging?
> Is it possible to use one of the browser debuggers in conjunction with an
> embedded spidermonkey engine?

As I've received a couple of follow up emails on this I thought I'd post
back to the group for future reference:

I never came up with an elegant off the shelf solution, but I have something
that basically works based on this open source project:

http://code.google.com/p/piston/

Piston uses the lowest level debug hooks (jsdbgapi), however I now wonder if
JSD might have been an easier starting place.  I avoided it as I thought it
was no longer supported but there still seems to be some work done
maintaining it for use by Firebug and it is a bit higher level.

Regardless which option you choose, neither seem to be well documented so it
is not easy to get started!

Colin

Re: Which debugger for use with embedded spidermonkey (non-web)

John J Barton
Colin Fraser wrote:

> "Colin Fraser"  wrote in message
>> What is the 'state of the art' in terms of spidermonkey debugging?
>> Is it possible to use one of the browser debuggers in conjunction with an
>> embedded spidermonkey engine?
>
> As I've received a couple of follow up emails on this I thought I'd post
> back to the group for future reference:
>

> I never came up with an elegant off the shelf solution, but I have something
> that basically works based on this open source project:
>

> http://code.google.com/p/piston/
>

> Piston uses the lowest level debug hooks (jsdbgapi), however I now wonder if
> JSD might have been an easier starting place.  I avoided it as I thought it
> was no longer supported but there still seems to be some work done
> maintaining it for use by Firebug and it is a bit higher level.

You might be interested in
http://groups.google.com/group/webdebugprotocol
and in "Crossfire", a JSON based Web Debug protocol.

> Regardless which option you choose, neither seem to be well documented so it
> is not easy to get started!

By now we have a lot of experience with jsDebuggerService, if you decide
to use it.

jjb