Where would you start if you wanted to develop an extension for Thunderbird?

Where would you start if you wanted to develop an extension for Thunderbird?

Iván Vega Rivera-2
Hi,

I just posted a wish on the mozilla.wishlist group, and since I realize
it might be a long time before that wish gets even considered, I wanted
to know how does one develop an extension.

Basically I want to do some actions when an RSS feed's entry with an
enclosure arrives. Like download and copy the enclosure to a certain
location.

I don't need specifics, but just some pointers on how could I accomplish
this (if at all possible).

Kind regards,
Ivan V.

Re: Where would you start if you wanted to develop an extension for Thunderbird?

Rod Whiteley
One place to start is:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Custom_Toolbar_Button

It's a very simplified general-purpose extension that you can build on.
  I have no idea how you would do that RSS stuff, but the same site has
more information and links that might help.

--
Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley escribió:
> One place to start is:
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Custom_Toolbar_Button
>
> It's a very simplified general-purpose extension that you can build on.
>  I have no idea how you would do that RSS stuff, but the same site has
> more information and links that might help.

Hey thanks for the info. I explored the site (and others) for about an
hour, but I couldn't find any specifics.

There's very scarce information about Thunderbird development, IMHO.

Well, I also asked in some forums I found, so let's hope someone can
help me out.

I'm actually very surprised no one has already developed such an
extension. I'm sure I'm not the only one (by far) who could benefit from it.

On 04/03/2006 0:32, Iván Vega Rivera wrote:
> ...I couldn't find any specifics.

But you originally wrote: "I don't need specifics..."

I agree that MDC is patchy at this early stage, but it does cover all
the technologies that you normally need to write extensions.  If you
can't find what you want there, have a look at Thunderbird's source code
for more ideas.

--
Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley escribió:

> On 04/03/2006 0:32, Iván Vega Rivera wrote:
>> ...I couldn't find any specifics.
>
> But you originally wrote: "I don't need specifics..."
>
> I agree that MDC is patchy at this early stage, but it does cover all
> the technologies that you normally need to write extensions.  If you
> can't find what you want there, have a look at Thunderbird's source code
> for more ideas.

That's right, but I thought I could find the specifics *myself* :)

Maybe if I offer a bounty like another person did for something similar...

Thanks for the help.

Ivan V.

Understanding Thundarbird Spam filtering

Jon Dewey
Where would you look in the code if you wanted to see how the junk mail
filters work?

Re: Understanding Thundarbird Spam filtering

Scott MacGregor
Jon Dewey wrote:
> Where would you look in the code if you wanted to see how the junk mail
> filters work?

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/mailnews/extensions/bayesian-spam-filter/src/nsBayesianFilter.cpp

-Scott

Re: Understanding Thundarbird Spam filtering

Jon Dewey
I’ve been looking through the source code of Thunderbird’s spam filter
and have a couple of questions on how it works. Note my understanding of
the code is listed after the questions.
(1) Why is it necessary to convert to exponential notation? Is that much
precision really needed? (lines 1161-1170)

(2) Why was a custom inverse chi-squared function designed rather than
using a math package? What issues should I be aware of in choosing a
Java math package to calculate my inverse chi-squared functions?

(3) Are there known improvements in the algorithm that are not
implemented yet? What are the plans for the future of the spam filtering?

My analysis of how the source code works:
First if there are no good tokens Thunderbirds assumes the message is
junk mail. Likewise if there are no bad tokens Thunderbird assumes it is
a good message. The rest seems to be heavily based on Gary Robinson’s
Linux journal article: A Statistical Approach to the Spam Problem
(http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6467 ) with some minor
modifications. Thunderbird considers the top 150 most interesting tokens
not the top 15. Thunderbird ignores all tokens less interesting than .1
presumably to speed things up. You choose different default parameters
(line 1130) for the strength of background info (s = 45%) and the
assumed probability that new words will appear in spam (x = 50%).
Finally any email that ends up with a spam certainty > 99% gets marked
as spam.

Also just out of general interest:
(4) Why was it decided to integrate the spam filter directly into
thunderbird rather than having it as a pluggable component? i.e. why not
just create a SpamBayes extension that is bundled with Thunderbird by
default.