Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Alan Schmitt
Hello,

Back in ES5.1, there was a specification to evaluate programs
(https://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/index.html#sec-14).
What is the corresponding starting point in the current spec? Is
it
https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-scripts ?

Best,

Alan

Re: Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Alan Schmitt
On 2019-08-15 10:53, Alan Schmitt <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Back in ES5.1, there was a specification to evaluate programs
> (https://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/index.html#sec-14).
> What is the corresponding starting point in the current spec? Is
> it
> https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-scripts ?

Thanks to the handy Reference links in the spec, I found it:
https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-runjobs

Sorry for the noise.

Best,

Alan

Re: Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Cyril Auburtin
You can also have a look at https://github.com/engine262/engine262, an interesting way to learn the spec

On 2019-08-15 10:53, Alan Schmitt <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Back in ES5.1, there was a specification to evaluate programs
> (https://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/index.html#sec-14).
> What is the corresponding starting point in the current spec? Is
> it
> https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-scripts ?

Thanks to the handy Reference links in the spec, I found it:
https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-runjobs

Sorry for the noise.

Best,

Alan

Re: Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Gus Caplan
It's worth noting that engine262 doesn't use the RunJobs implementation it has, it uses a separate entrypoint in api.mjs. There is some work going on to get rid of RunJobs entirely, as no implementations actually use it (https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/pull/735)

On 2019-08-15 10:53, Alan Schmitt <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Back in ES5.1, there was a specification to evaluate programs
> (https://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-262/5.1/index.html#sec-14).
> What is the corresponding starting point in the current spec? Is
> it
> https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-scripts ?

Thanks to the handy Reference links in the spec, I found it:
https://tc39.es/ecma262/#sec-runjobs

Sorry for the noise.

Best,

Alan

Re: Where is the evaluation starting point in the spec?

Alan Schmitt-2
Hello Cyril,

On 2019-08-17 21:29, Cyril Auburtin <[hidden email]>
writes:

> You can also have a look at
> https://github.com/engine262/engine262, an
> interesting way to learn the spec

Thank you for the suggestion. Our goal is to modernize JSExplain
(https://gitlab.inria.fr/star-explain/jsexplain) to be closer to
the
spec (as we display spec text when interpreting programs), so we
need to
refer directly to the spec.

On 2019-08-17 23:03, Gus Caplan <[hidden email]> writes:

> It's worth noting that engine262 doesn't use the RunJobs
> implementation it
> has, it uses a separate entrypoint in api.mjs. There is some
> work going on
> to get rid of RunJobs entirely, as no implementations actually
> use it (
> https://github.com/tc39/ecma262/pull/735)

Thanks, I was not aware of this PR. I guess we should not invest
too
much effort on the jobs infrastructure at the moment.

Best,

Alan