Where is the chrome directory?

Xue Fuqiao
Hi,

I just started learning XUL by reading the XUL tutorial[1]. In the "XUL Structure" chapter[2], it says:

  The packages that are provided with Mozilla are located within the chrome directory, which is in the directory where you installed Mozilla. The chrome directory is where you find all the files that describe the user interface used by the Mozilla browser, mail client, and other applications.

But I didn't find the chrome directory in my Firefox directory (/Applications/FirefoxAurora.app). I only found a chrome directory in mozilla-central[3]. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm using Firefox 34.0a2 on OS X 10.9.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL_Tutorial
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Tech/XUL/Tutorial/XUL_Structure#Package_Organization
[3] http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/chrome

Re: Where is the chrome directory?

Neil-4
Xue Fuqiao wrote:

>I didn't find the chrome directory in my Firefox directory

You'll have a chrome directory if you build Firefox yourself, but after
it's built it gets packaged in particular all the contents of the chrome
directory (amongst others) is zipped up into the omni.ja file.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

On Monday, September 8, 2014 7:26:22 AM UTC+8, Neil wrote:
> You'll have a chrome directory if you build Firefox yourself, but after
> it's built it gets packaged in particular all the contents of the chrome
> directory (amongst others) is zipped up into the omni.ja file.

I see. Thank you. BTW, why is the file extension .ja instead of .zip? Is there a special meaning?

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

>On Monday, September 8, 2014 7:26:22 AM UTC+8, Neil wrote:
>

>>You'll have a chrome directory if you build Firefox yourself, but after it's built it gets packaged in particular all the contents of the chrome directory (amongst others) is zipped up into the omni.ja file.
>>

>I see. Thank you. BTW, why is the file extension .ja instead of .zip? Is there a special meaning?

Yes. When you use Windows System Restore to roll back past an update of
Firefox, it restores the old executable but leaves zip files alone.
Unfortunately this causes Firefox to crash because the zip file no
longer matches the executable. By using the name omni.ja this tricks
System Restore into restoring the file and Firefox will still work.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.