Where is the access point

1234 ... 6

Where is the access point

Hi All,

I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.

How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?

Many thanks,
-T

Re: Where is the access point

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what T graced us with on 4/20/2018 9:47 PM:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
> several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
> where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.
>
> How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?

Perhaps they could isolate it to a defined area by flipping breakers one
at a time to find when it drops off?

--
Sailfish

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/20/2018 10:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what T graced us with on 4/20/2018 9:47 PM:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
>> several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
>> where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.
>>
>> How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?
>>
> Perhaps they could isolate it to a defined area by flipping breakers one
> at a time to find when it drops off?

Interesting!   Thank you!

The thing is not hooked into their back plane and goes
nowhere when attached to

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:47:35 -0700, T
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
>several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
>where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.
>
>How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?

Follow the cable or the wireless signal.

>Many thanks,
>-T

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 22:41:12 -0700, T
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 04/20/2018 10:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:

Invalid date format.

>> My bloviated meandering follows what T graced us with on 4/20/2018 9:47 PM:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
>>> several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
>>> where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.
>>>
>>> How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?
>>>
>> Perhaps they could isolate it to a defined area by flipping breakers one
>> at a time to find when it drops off?
>>

>Interesting!   Thank you!
>
>The thing is not hooked into their back plane and goes
>nowhere when attached to

That sentence goes nowhere.

Re: Where is the access point

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/21/2018 01:07 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
> Follow the cable or the wireless signal.

It is not hooked up to the building Ethernet wiring,
so no wires to follow.

How do you follow the wireless signal?

Re: Where is the access point

Big Al-3
On 04/21/2018 05:19 AM, T wrote:
> On 04/21/2018 01:07 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> Follow the cable or the wireless signal.
>
> It is not hooked up to the building Ethernet wiring,
> so no wires to follow.
>
> How do you follow the wireless signal?
If you had a laptop you could walk around and see signal strength
change.   It would give you a ball park idea.   And maybe as my kids did
when trying to locate emergency beacons from downed aircraft, body
blocking.   Turn with the laptop and use the body to block the signal.
A weaker signal is thus behind you.   Hey it worked for the CAP, Cival
Air Patrol in US.

There are programs like heat map that will allow you take snapshots of
signal strength, and I think there is even one for android.

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/21/2018 02:49 AM, Big Al wrote:
> And maybe as my kids did when trying to locate emergency beacons from
> downed aircraft, body blocking.   Turn with the laptop and use the body
> to block the signal. A weaker signal is thus behind you.   Hey it worked
> for the CAP, Cival Air Patrol in US.

Interesting!  Thank you!

Re: Where is the access point

The Real Bev
On 04/21/2018 04:20 AM, T wrote:
> On 04/21/2018 02:49 AM, Big Al wrote:
>> And maybe as my kids did when trying to locate emergency beacons from
>> downed aircraft, body blocking.   Turn with the laptop and use the body
>> to block the signal. A weaker signal is thus behind you.   Hey it worked
>> for the CAP, Cival Air Patrol in US.
>
> Interesting!  Thank you!

Report back when you find it -- I'm curious about where it was hidden!

--
Cheers, Bev
   "Steve Balmer, CEO of Microsoft[0], recently referred to LINUX as a

Re: Where is the access point

Ray_Net
Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 21-04-18 10:11:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 22:41:12 -0700, T
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2018 10:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:
> Invalid date format.

No dates are invalid ....

Re: Where is the access point

Big Al-3
On 04/21/2018 01:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 04:20 AM, T wrote:
>> On 04/21/2018 02:49 AM, Big Al wrote:
>>> And maybe as my kids did when trying to locate emergency beacons from
>>> downed aircraft, body blocking.   Turn with the laptop and use the body
>>> to block the signal. A weaker signal is thus behind you.   Hey it worked
>>> for the CAP, Cival Air Patrol in US.
>>
>> Interesting!  Thank you!
>
> Report back when you find it -- I'm curious about where it was hidden!

I'm interested in how, and what idiot stuck it there.  LOL

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/21/2018 02:54 PM, Big Al wrote:

> On 04/21/2018 01:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting!  Thank you!
>>
>> Report back when you find it -- I'm curious about where it was hidden!
>>
> I'm interested in how, and what idiot stuck it there.  LOL

It is a DSL modem from their old building.  They are now on
Fiber optic.  So someone just unplugged from the AC and re-plugged
it somewhere in the new building.  I looked all over their new
wiring room, but no sign of it.

They told me they eventually need it located, but that it is a
real low priority at the moment.  When they do decide they want
it back, since it is guest WiFi, I hope they let me firewall
segment an access point apart from their internal network.

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 20:05:30 +0200, Ray_Net
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 21-04-18 10:11:
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 22:41:12 -0700, T
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/20/2018 10:35 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> Invalid date format.
>>
>No dates are invalid ....

Unless they specify a 20th month.

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 11:03:24 +0200, GerardJan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 21/04/2018 10:07:
>> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:47:35 -0700, T
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a weird one.  A customer moved his facility.  He has
>>> several access point that moved with him.  No one can figure out
>>> where they put one of them, but it shows a very strong signal.
>>>
>>> How do you physically locate a live "lost" access point?
>>
>> Follow the cable or the wireless signal.
>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>
>I have three facebooks:
>
>https://www.facebook.com/gerardjan.vinkesteijn
>
>https://www.facebook.com/gerardjan.vinkesteijn.7
>
>https://www.facebook.com/gerardjan.vinkesteijn.15

You are being tracked.

>sincerely yours,

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 02:19:30 -0700, T
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 21/04/2018 01:07 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> Follow the cable or the wireless signal.
>
>It is not hooked up to the building Ethernet wiring,
>so no wires to follow.

How does it access the building Ethernet wiring?

>How do you follow the wireless signal?

You can get an app for your smartphone which will show
signal strength.

Re: Where is the access point

On 04/21/2018 06:43 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 02:19:30 -0700, T
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 21/04/2018 01:07 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>>> Follow the cable or the wireless signal.
>>
>> It is not hooked up to the building Ethernet wiring,
>> so no wires to follow.
>
> How does it access the building Ethernet wiring?

It doesn't

>> How do you follow the wireless signal?
>
> You can get an app for your smartphone which will show
> signal strength.

Don't have a smart phone.

Re: Where is the access point

Libor Striz
Lucifer Morningstar <[hidden email]> Wrote in message:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 20:05:30 +0200, Ray_Net
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 21-04-18 10:11:

>>> Invalid date format.
>>>
>>No dates are invalid ....
>
> Unless they specify a 20th month.

Unless it is the standard US MM/DD/YYYY format.

--
Libor Striz

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Re: Where is the access point

Lucifer Morningstar
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 21:04:30 -0700, T
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 04/21/2018 06:43 PM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 02:19:30 -0700, T
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It is not hooked up to the building Ethernet wiring,
>>> so no wires to follow.
>>
>> How does it access the building Ethernet wiring?
>
>It doesn't

What does the access point give access to?

>>> How do you follow the wireless signal?
>>
>> You can get an app for your smartphone which will show
>> signal strength.
>
>Don't have a smart phone.

Is it wi-fi?

Re: Where is the access point

Ray_Net
Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 22-04-18 03:40:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 20:05:30 +0200, Ray_Net
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Lucifer Morningstar wrote on 21-04-18 10:11:

>>> Invalid date format.
>>>
>> No dates are invalid ....
> Unless they specify a 20th month.

20 is not he month , it's the DAY ...