When Firefox will end Flash support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

When Firefox will end Flash support

WaltS48-5
As reported in another post.

> Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.

Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.

> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.

REF:
<https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Good Guy-2
On 27/07/2017 21:57, WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported
>> by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>
>

So is this happening from the next major release or is this happening
from 2020 at the same time as Adobe goes ??????????????????????

Is Mozilla likely to be around until 2020?


--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

WaltS48-5
On 7/27/17 6:12 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 27/07/2017 21:57, WaltS48 wrote:
>>
>>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported
>>> by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>>
>>
>
> So is this happening from the next major release or is this happening
> from 2020 at the same time as Adobe goes ??????????????????????
>
> Is Mozilla likely to be around until 2020?
>
>

Read the links, Luke.

Same time Adobe no longer supports Flash with security patches.

Will browsers be around in 2020, or will something else come along. We
shall find out.

Version 57 is looking pretty good to me. I use it everyday.

<https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/>


--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Wolf K.
In reply to this post by WaltS48-5
On 2017-07-27 16:57, WaltS48 wrote:

> As reported in another post.
>
>> Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December
>> 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.
>
> Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.
>
>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported
>> by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>
> REF:
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
> and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>

That will frost a lot of people.

Just think of the gazillions of Flash vids out there that FF will no
longer play after 2020.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Wanted. Schrödinger’s Cat. Dead and Alive."
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

WaltS48-5
On 7/27/17 9:11 PM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2017-07-27 16:57, WaltS48 wrote:
>> As reported in another post.
>>
>>> Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December
>>> 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.
>>
>> Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.
>>
>>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported
>>> by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>>
>> REF:
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
>> and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>
>
> That will frost a lot of people.
>
> Just think of the gazillions of Flash vids out there that FF will no
> longer play after 2020.
>

AIUI, Fx will not play Flash vids from files, only HTTP and HTTPS sites
after a certain version.

I can't find that information right now.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

PietB-2
In reply to this post by WaltS48-5
WaltS48 wrote:
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>

"only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will
 be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the
 end of 2020. In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no
 longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox
 will load the plugin."

If it said "until the final" it would be clear; "through the final"
makes or may make this sound like a contradiction for non-native EN
or EN'ish speakers.

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Wolf K.
On 2017-07-28 04:19, PietB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
>
> "only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will
>   be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the
>   end of 2020. In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no
>   longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox
>   will load the plugin."
>
> If it said "until the final" it would be clear; "through the final"
> makes or may make this sound like a contradiction for non-native EN
> or EN'ish speakers.
>
> -p

The reference to security patches parses that "final" as "The one that
comes after security patches cease." Flash is already end-of-life in
terms of non-security bug-fixes and functional improvements.

Always figure the context. English is a context-bound language, aka
"analytic": the syntactic function ("part of speech") of a word depends
on where in the sentence it is placed. I think the habit of relying on
context within the sentence has spilled over into the context outside
the sentence, hence the puzzle that you noticed.

Another way of looking at it: The quotation is styled more as spoken
than written English, and in any language the context of the
conversation determines how the meanings of the utterances are parsed
("construed"). This is the most difficult aspect for any non-native
speaker. Reading/writing a foreign language is much easier than
hearing/speaking it. As you have probably discovered more than once. :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Wanted. Schrödinger’s Cat. Dead and Alive."
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Desiree-11
In reply to this post by WaltS48-5
On 7/27/2017 10:57 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> As reported in another post.
>
>> Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.
>
> Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.
>
>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>
> REF:
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
> and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>
>
So, Mozilla intends to go back through ALL previous versions of Fx and
remove Flash ability?  That is not only nuts but can that even be done?
  (Of course, the remark comes from the leader of the faction in Mozilla
that won control some time ago and has proceeded to almost totally
destroy the browser).

Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance and
security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites may run the
Flash plugin. This choice will give users the ability to keep using
legacy sites that require Flash, while letting modern sites shine with
blazingly fast HTML speed."  That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a
joke. It is slow and ugly compared to Flash.  I do not allow HTML5
playback in any browser.  Hopefully, by the end of 2020 it will be on
par with current Flash playback but until it is, I will  use Flash only.
  There is nothing wrong with Fx performance but then I use Fx 45.9 ESR.

As for suddenly allowing Fx users to choose which sites can run Flash,
that remark makes zero sense.  I have ALWAYS been able to choose which
sites and which pages on which sites and which links on which sites are
allowed to run Flash.  I have used Fx since Phoenix days and I cannot
recall any version where I couldn't fully control Flash on a site.  He
is full of hot air in claiming the ability to control Flash on websites
is something new to Fx later this year.  He seems to think extensions
don't exist and that "ask always" does not exist and that no extensions
to get rid of ads exist.  The real problems exist with HTML5 playback as
that is much more difficult for the user to have full control over.  If
Mozilla wants to do something useful they need to offer more controls
for it.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

WaltS48-5
On 7/28/17 8:03 PM, Desiree wrote:

> On 7/27/2017 10:57 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> As reported in another post.
>>
>>> Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December
>>> 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.
>>
>> Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.
>>
>>> In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported
>>> by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
>>
>> REF:
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
>>
>> and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>
>>

> So, Mozilla intends to go back through ALL previous versions of Fx and
> remove Flash ability?

So sorry, I do not see where they state that anywhere.

Maybe a misinterpretation of what happens after Firefox 56.0 and the
following versions in 2018 and beyond.


>That is not only nuts but can that even be done?
>   (Of course, the remark comes from the leader of the faction in Mozilla
> that won control some time ago and has proceeded to almost totally
> destroy the browser).
>
> Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance and
> security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites may run the
> Flash plugin. This choice will give users the ability to keep using
> legacy sites that require Flash, while letting modern sites shine with
> blazingly fast HTML speed."  That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a
> joke. It is slow and ugly compared to Flash.  I do not allow HTML5
> playback in any browser.  Hopefully, by the end of 2020 it will be on
> par with current Flash playback but until it is, I will  use Flash only.
>   There is nothing wrong with Fx performance but then I use Fx 45.9 ESR.
>
> As for suddenly allowing Fx users to choose which sites can run Flash,
> that remark makes zero sense.  I have ALWAYS been able to choose which
> sites and which pages on which sites and which links on which sites are
> allowed to run Flash.  I have used Fx since Phoenix days and I cannot
> recall any version where I couldn't fully control Flash on a site.  He
> is full of hot air in claiming the ability to control Flash on websites
> is something new to Fx later this year.  He seems to think extensions
> don't exist and that "ask always" does not exist and that no extensions
> to get rid of ads exist.  The real problems exist with HTML5 playback as
> that is much more difficult for the user to have full control over.  If
> Mozilla wants to do something useful they need to offer more controls
> for it.


We have always been able to choose, but what was the default setting?

> Starting in Firefox version 55, the Flash plugin is "click to play" by default. For more information, see the article Why do I have to click to activate plugins? .

REF:
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/set-adobe-flash-click-play-firefox>

Looks like the default was Always Activate.

>     Starting with Firefox 47 in June 2016, all plugins other than Adobe Flash are click-to-activate. Users choose which sites are allowed to activate each plugin. In addition, the 64-bit Firefox for Windows only supports the Flash plugin.

REF: <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

PietB-2
In reply to this post by Desiree-11
Desiree wrote:
> Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance
> and security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites
> may run the Flash plugin. This choice will give users the
> ability to keep using legacy sites that require Flash, while
> letting modern sites shine with blazingly fast HTML speed."
> That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a joke. It is slow and
> ugly compared to Flash.

Agreed, but Flash is getting worse.

> I do not allow HTML5 playback in any browser.

The you won't be able to watch Youtube anymore. As the author of
the Youtube Flash Player add-on says (July 27):
"YouTube has made changes and it looks like it's no more possible
 to watch videos using Flash Player. So please stop sending me
 emails, there's nothing I can do, add-on is working as expected,
 it's just YouTube that forces the use of the HTML5 player."

But as said, there's more than Flash vids in the world (which you
may be able to download and then play with Irfanview), like very
useful interactive Flash-based applications.

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Wolf K.
On 2017-08-03 04:47, PietB wrote:

> Desiree wrote:
>> Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance
>> and security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites
>> may run the Flash plugin. This choice will give users the
>> ability to keep using legacy sites that require Flash, while
>> letting modern sites shine with blazingly fast HTML speed."
>> That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a joke. It is slow and
>> ugly compared to Flash.
> Agreed, but Flash is getting worse.
>
>> I do not allow HTML5 playback in any browser.


?????

IME it's better than Flash (which I've set "always ask").


--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Wanted. Schrödinger’s Cat. Dead and Alive."
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

Ron Hunter
On 8/8/2017 9:53 AM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2017-08-03 04:47, PietB wrote:
>> Desiree wrote:
>>> Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance
>>> and security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites
>>> may run the Flash plugin. This choice will give users the
>>> ability to keep using legacy sites that require Flash, while
>>> letting modern sites shine with blazingly fast HTML speed."
>>> That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a joke. It is slow and
>>> ugly compared to Flash.
>> Agreed, but Flash is getting worse.
>>
>>> I do not allow HTML5 playback in any browser.
>
>
> ?????
>
> IME it's better than Flash (which I've set "always ask").
>
>
Better? I think not.  Less control, less consistency, VASTLY more CPU
load.  What's better: Security, privacy.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general