What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Erness Wild
I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when it
comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
Ctrl: S.
The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start of
a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Wolf K.
On 2014-02-15 6:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:

> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when it
> comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
> Ctrl: S.
> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start of
> a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

I haven't used Notepad in years. Try EditPad. The free (lite) version
runs rings around Notepad.

--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

WaltS48
On 02/15/2014 06:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:

> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when
> it comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
> Ctrl: S.
> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start
> of a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
Notepad ++.

<http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>

It might work better.

WaltS wrote:

> On 02/15/2014 06:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
>> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when
>> it comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
>> Ctrl: S.
>> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
>> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
>> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
>> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
>> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start
>> of a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?
>>

> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
> Notepad ++.
>
> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>
> It might work better.
Thanks. Minor point. I may look that up.
I like notepad as it seems to be timeless and the files open in any OS,
unlike other applications which seem to do their best to orphan all my
archived work.

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 2/15/2014
3:31 PM:

> On 02/15/2014 06:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
>> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when
>> it comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
>> Ctrl: S.
>> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
>> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
>> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
>> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
>> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start
>> of a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?
>
> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
> Notepad ++.
>
> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>
> It might work better.

Yep, it's still my default go-to text editor and still undergoing
enhancements.

--
Sailfish

WaltS wrote:

> On 02/15/2014 06:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
>> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when
>> it comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
>> Ctrl: S.
>> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
>> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
>> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
>> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
>> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start
>> of a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?
>>

> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
> Notepad ++.
>
> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>
> It might work better.
okay, okay, I have to ask, Linux or Mac?

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Erness Wild wrote:

> WaltS wrote:
>> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
>> Notepad ++.
>>
>> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>>
>> It might work better.
>
> okay, okay, I have to ask, Linux or Mac?

Select his message, press Ctrl-U and read the headers.

I could say almost the exact words WaltS wrote, except I used EditPad back
in the bad ol' Windows days. It had a free version and may still be
available. MUCH better than Notepad.

--
   -bts

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

David E. Ross-3
On 2/15/2014 3:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:

> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when it
> comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
> Ctrl: S.
> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start of
> a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
Notepad 6.1.7600.16385

I tried several different actions:
*  Insert a paragraph, hit Enter twice, save
*  Insert a paragraph, reposition cursor, save
*  Delete text from an existing paragraph, save

Both using Ctrl-s and [File > Save], the cursor never moved from where I
left it before the save.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Sjouke Burry
On 16.02.14 0:11, Erness Wild wrote:

> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when it
> comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
> Ctrl: S.
> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start of
> a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

Switch to notepad++, (google for it) ,works nicely
and is very configurable.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Ron Hunter
On 2/15/2014 6:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 2/15/2014
> 3:31 PM:
>> On 02/15/2014 06:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:
>>> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
>>> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when
>>> it comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
>>> Ctrl: S.
>>> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
>>> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
>>> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
>>> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
>>> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start
>>> of a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?
>>
>> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
>> Notepad ++.
>>
>> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>>
>> It might work better.
>
> Yep, it's still my default go-to text editor and still undergoing
> enhancements.

When it comes to simple editing of text, I use something called Editor2
which comes with ZABKAT's Xplorer2.  It does the job well, and doesn't
get in my way.
What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
generates a list of programs that are program source editors.  Doesn't
anyone ever use simple plain text any more?  I can't imaging loading
Word just to save a phone number for a few seconds, or make some notes
while on the phone.  Sure, I can turn off most of the program source
features in most of them, but what person ever needed line numbers for
simple text editing.  Maybe I need to search for something else to get
the right category.
And are there really that many people out there with a need to edit
program source for 10 different types of compilers?

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Jeff Layman
On 16/02/2014 09:13, Ron Hunter wrote:

> What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
> generates a list of programs that are program source editors.  Doesn't
> anyone ever use simple plain text any more?

The GUI world seems to be moving towards alexia and agraphia.  I blame
it all on rampant pictorialisation.

It used to be that those who couldn't read and write were that way
because they had never learnt how to.  Now it seems to be by design.

Well, they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Think of
all those bytes saved...

--

Jeff

On 2014-02-16 6:15 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]
> Well, they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words. [...]

Which words?

--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

On 2/16/2014 5:15 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> On 16/02/2014 09:13, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
>> generates a list of programs that are program source editors.  Doesn't
>> anyone ever use simple plain text any more?
>
> The GUI world seems to be moving towards alexia and agraphia.  I blame
> it all on rampant pictorialisation.
>
> It used to be that those who couldn't read and write were that way
> because they had never learnt how to.  Now it seems to be by design.
>
> Well, they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Think of
> all those bytes saved...

If you can manage to increase the number of people in a society who
can't read or write, then you can tell them want they want to hear, and
they will have little choice but to believe you.  It's working!

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Ed Mullen-8
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Erness Wild wrote:
>
>> WaltS wrote:
>>> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
>>> Notepad ++.
>>>
>>> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>>>
>>> It might work better.
>>
>> okay, okay, I have to ask, Linux or Mac?
>
> Select his message, press Ctrl-U and read the headers.
>
> I could say almost the exact words WaltS wrote, except I used EditPad back
> in the bad ol' Windows days. It had a free version and may still be
> available. MUCH better than Notepad.

EditPad Pro is what I use.

http://www.editpadpro.com/

It has the ability to specify, by filetype, line numbering,
highlighting, word wrap, etc.  So, as someone mentioned up-thread, if
you want numbering for .bat files but not for plain-text you can have that.

The Lite version is free for personal use.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

RAV-2
On 2/15/2014 6:11 PM, Erness Wild wrote:

> I like note pad for doing quick record keeping of ideas and short
> stories. But is it just me or is there something up with notepad when it
> comes to hitting the save button, which on my 'puter is
> Ctrl: S.
> The annoying part is: at the end of a paragraph, I hit two returns to
> get ready to type the next paragraph. Then I hit Ctrl: S to save the
> document and the insertion point always jumps up to the middle of the
> last word I typed. If I'm not careful I can start typing in that word
> rather than where I left the insertion point, which was at the start of
> a new paragraph. Anyone else get this?

I use plain old Notepad all the time, and I just tried what you said and
it worked fine.  Cursor didn't move from where it was.  Using Windows 7
Professional.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
> generates a list of programs that are program source editors.
> Doesn't anyone ever use simple plain text any more?

They do, but most people don't want/need third-party ones.

> I can't imaging loading Word just to save a phone number for a few
> seconds, or make some notes while on the phone.  Sure, I can turn off
> most of the program source features in most of them, but what person
> ever needed line numbers for simple text editing.  Maybe I need to
> search for something else to get the right category.

Even notepad.exe shows line numbers, doesn't it?  I thought they showed
up in the status bar.

I think the right category for quick notes that don't need saving is
"desktop sticky notes" or something like that.

> And are there really that many people out there with a need to edit
> program source for 10 different types of compilers?

Probably any given coder needs fewer than ten, but supporting more
means the thing's more useful to more people.  Most editors use a
plugin system for that stuff, so they support as many syntaxes as
anybody needs them to.nk

On 16/02/2014 11:22, Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:
> On 2014-02-16 6:15 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> [...]
>> Well, they do say that a picture is worth a thousand words. [...]
>
> Which words?

Those that Apple use: "Look into my I's"...

--

Jeff

On 2/16/2014 8:23 AM, »Q« wrote [in part]:

> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote [also in part]:
>
>> I can't imaging loading Word just to save a phone number for a few
>> seconds, or make some notes while on the phone.  Sure, I can turn off
>> most of the program source features in most of them, but what person
>> ever needed line numbers for simple text editing.  Maybe I need to
>> search for something else to get the right category.
>
> Even notepad.exe shows line numbers, doesn't it?  I thought they showed
> up in the status bar.

Notepad does show line number for the cursor position in the status bar.
 It also shows the character position (column number).

The presence of the status bar, however, is optional; and that option is
available only if you turn off Word Wrap.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Sailfish-4
2/16/2014 1:13 AM:

> On 2/15/2014 6:45 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS graced us with on 2/15/2014
>> 3:31 PM:
>>>
>>> When I used Windows over a decade ago, I downloaded and installed
>>> Notepad ++.
>>>
>>> <http://notepad-plus-plus.org/>
>>>
>>> It might work better.
>>
>> Yep, it's still my default go-to text editor and still undergoing
>> enhancements.
>
> When it comes to simple editing of text, I use something called Editor2
> which comes with ZABKAT's Xplorer2.  It does the job well, and doesn't
> get in my way.
> What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
> generates a list of programs that are program source editors.  Doesn't
> anyone ever use simple plain text any more?  I can't imaging loading
> Word just to save a phone number for a few seconds, or make some notes
> while on the phone.  Sure, I can turn off most of the program source
> features in most of them, but what person ever needed line numbers for
> simple text editing.  Maybe I need to search for something else to get
> the right category.
> And are there really that many people out there with a need to edit
> program source for 10 different types of compilers?

Notepad++ does simple text editing but offers so many more features, not
the least of which is tabs (for editing multiple files at a time) and
the ability to search and replace text within multiple open files at
once. This is invaluable for theme CSS file changes where a new release
has removed the "-moz-" identifier from some previous style, e.g.,
changing all instances in all files of "-moz-opacity" to just "opacity".

Those are just touching on all the productive features of the editor.

--
Sailfish

Re: What's Up With Note Pad, I like it but . .

Jay Garcia
On 16.02.2014 10:23, »Q« wrote:

>> What I don't understand is why searching for 'text editor' always
>> generates a list of programs that are program source editors.
>> Doesn't anyone ever use simple plain text any more?
>
> They do, but most people don't want/need third-party ones.
>
>> I can't imaging loading Word just to save a phone number for a few
>> seconds, or make some notes while on the phone.  Sure, I can turn off
>> most of the program source features in most of them, but what person
>> ever needed line numbers for simple text editing.  Maybe I need to
>> search for something else to get the right category.
>
> Even notepad.exe shows line numbers, doesn't it?  I thought they showed
> up in the status bar.

Not in mine with XP Pro SP3

Jay