What kind of browser can we expect in the future now that SM / FF is officially dead?

Re: What kind of browser can we expect in the future now that SM / FF is officially dead?

Felix Miata-2
On 2014-05-21 16:17 (GMT-0400) David Bongo composed:

> James Moe wrote:

>> On 05/06/2014 01:20 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

>>> Now that the death of SM / FF is official, what can we who still uses
>>> our beloved OS2 / eCs expect as a replacement in the future?
>>>
>>    I recommend moving to linux. Install VirtualBox, create an os/2 guest
>> virtual machine, and go from there.
>>    This way you get all the benefits of modern browsers in linux, you no
>> longer have to scrounge through eBay looking for old hardware, and the
>> joy of using os/2 for most else.

> But which flavor of linux?  I'm guessing that most of us are still using
> OS/2-eCS for the WPS, even if we do deal with (the no longer godawful
> but still distasteful) versions of Windows.  Project Voyager has not
> shown much, so what would be our preferred front-end?  What would work
> the best with the easiest learning curve?

> I briefly messed around with a version of Ubuntu (didn't care for it)

Exactly when? month ago? Year ago? 3 years ago???

> and Linux Mint was installed but never really played with much.

First Linux I tried, RedHat, which later split into RHEL and Fedora.

Second Linux I tried, Mandrake, later renamed due to merger to Mandriva, from
which later was forked Mageia.

Third Linux I tried, SuSE, later split into SLES, SLED and openSUSE. This was
the first I liked enough to more than dabble with. openSUSE became my primary
Linux, and later my primary OS.

Since I've tried all the Mandrakes, Mandrivas, Mageias, Fedoras, Debian,
CentOS, Mint, PCLinuxOS, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Gentoo that I can
remember, and keep a current installation of each of several distros, and
older versions of selected others.

openSUSE remains my clear favorite, but not for an obvious reason. What's
most important isn't the distro per se, but the DE[1]. Not all distros offer
all DEs, so the thing to do is use live versions of enough distros to get a
feel for the different DEs available. Once you figure out which DE(s) best
suits you you can focus on distro selection.

http://distrowatch.com/ is very helpful in discovering which distros are
available and which DEs they offer. Don't be mislead by its ranking, as this
is a function of page hits[2], which mostly do not seem to come from users
who've been happy with their distro selection for a long period of time. You
can see there currently Mint is way above the others, but Mint is just one of
a number of distros based on Debian, of which Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu,
Xubuntu, Knoppix, Elementary, Peppermint, Sparky, LXLE, Zorin & Kali are some
others.

Probably all, or at least most, of the top 25-30 distros at least offer one
or more VMs that can be used to run OS/2 or eCS. I don't do eCS in a VM
because my main use of eCS is for its better DOS than DOS capacity, which it
can't do as I need it to in a VM due to video limitation. I keep 2 puters
running full time, one for DOS, IRC & PMView via eCS, the other for
everything else in Linux. All the other distros are on a large collection of
puters, a few of which have WinXP, one of which has Win95, but none other
from M$.

Modern/Current DEs include Gnome3, KDE4, Cinnamon, Mate, Sugar, Unity,
Enlightment, RazorQT & Xfce among others. My DE of choice is KDE3, which has
a functional equivalent for some distros in TDE ("Trinity", as in fork
{trident} of third major version of KDE), and a very big reason why my first
choice is openSUSE.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
[2] http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On 2014-05-23 16:16 (GMT-0400) David Bongo composed:

> in my somewhat
> uninformed but still malleable opinion, the best path forward for our
> community would be to take a Linux distro and make WPS for that.

That's been my opinion since before IBM announced termination of OS/2
support, when I first discovered the existence of the 512M shared memory
limit. I think it's sad that no apparent effort was ever put forward to make
it happen, at least, to whatever extent might be practical to emulate WPS
look, feel and function, not necessarily run native OS/2 apps, or keep
configurations or other setup data in binary blobs and EAs.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: What kind of browser can we expect in the future now that SM / FF is officially dead?

Dave Yeo-3
Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2014-05-23 16:16 (GMT-0400) David Bongo composed:
>
>> in my somewhat
>> uninformed but still malleable opinion, the best path forward for our
>> community would be to take a Linux distro and make WPS for that.
>
> That's been my opinion since before IBM announced termination of OS/2
> support, when I first discovered the existence of the 512M shared memory
> limit. I think it's sad that no apparent effort was ever put forward to
> make it happen, at least, to whatever extent might be practical to
> emulate WPS look, feel and function, not necessarily run native OS/2
> apps, or keep configurations or other setup data in binary blobs and EAs.

Has anyone ever ran the AIX version of the WPS? I've heard conflicting
reports about it and whether it deserves the WPS name. I believe it now
open source.
Dave

Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2014-05-23 16:16 (GMT-0400) David Bongo composed:
>
>> in my somewhat
>> uninformed but still malleable opinion, the best path forward for our
>> community would be to take a Linux distro and make WPS for that.
>
> That's been my opinion since before IBM announced termination of OS/2
> support, when I first discovered the existence of the 512M shared memory
> limit. I think it's sad that no apparent effort was ever put forward to
> make it happen, at least, to whatever extent might be practical to
> emulate WPS look, feel and function, not necessarily run native OS/2
> apps, or keep configurations or other setup data in binary blobs and EAs.

There was a file manager that attempted to emulate the WPS, it never got
further then emulating the drives object and I can't remember the name
except IIRC it started with a d
Have to try google later
Dave

Re: What kind of browser can we expect in the future now that SM / FF is officially dead?

Alex Taylor
On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 19:49:13 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> in my somewhat
> >> uninformed but still malleable opinion, the best path forward for our
> >> community would be to take a Linux distro and make WPS for that.
> >
> > That's been my opinion since before IBM announced termination of OS/2
> > support, when I first discovered the existence of the 512M shared memory
> > limit. I think it's sad that no apparent effort was ever put forward to
> > make it happen, at least, to whatever extent might be practical to
> > emulate WPS look, feel and function, not necessarily run native OS/2
> > apps, or keep configurations or other setup data in binary blobs and EAs.
>
> There was a file manager that attempted to emulate the WPS, it never got
> further then emulating the drives object and I can't remember the name
> except IIRC it started with a d
> Have to try google later

I think it might have been called dfm.

I tried playing with it back when I still used Linux.  It was a pretty decent
start, but I don't know if it was ever developed further.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.

Alex Taylor wrote:
>> There was a file manager that attempted to emulate the WPS, it never got
>> >further then emulating the drives object and I can't remember the name
>> >except IIRC it started with a d
>> >Have to try google later
> I think it might have been called dfm.
>
> I tried playing with it back when I still used Linux.  It was a pretty decent
> start, but I don't know if it was ever developed further.

Yes, that is what I was thinking of. See it never made it past ver
0.99.9 and the last release was 05/01/2001. Its homepage is still mostly
up,
http://distro.ibiblio.org/amigolinux/download/DeskTop/IconMgmt/dfm-0.99.9/kaisersite.dedfm.html
Dave

Re: What kind of browser can we expect in the future now that SM / FF is officially dead?

Bob Plyler
On 05/06/2014 04:20 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> Now that the death of SM / FF is official, what can we who still uses
> our beloved OS2 / eCs expect as a replacement in the future? Opera 5.2
> for os/2 still exist, but it's so outdated that there is not much that
> can be done with it. And we os/2 / eCs afficionados  - like me who began
> my os2 career with the 2.0beta and through all it's incarnation via
> Warp, WSeB and the Convenient Packs (which is my default OS in BM() -
> what can we expect to happen in the future browser-way?
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
> --
> /GAIA (Insulin User - 18th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
>         Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
>         Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
>         Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
>         Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Try qupzilla.

http://www.qupzilla.com/