What is "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?

Davi Leal-2
Hi,

I am reading the ECMA-262 specification, "8.4 The String Type", the "NOTE",
Pag. 24.  It reads:

  "The intent is that textual data comming into the execution environment from
outside (e.g., user input, text read from a file or received over the
network, etc.) be converted to Unicode Normalised Form C before the running
program sees it. ... Since it is recommended that ECMAScript source code be
in Normalised From C, string literals are guaranteed to be normalised (if
source text is guaranteed to be normalised), ...".

What is the "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?.
Is it the same that the "POSIX (C)" ?

Davi

Re: What is "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?

Marco Mariani
Davi Leal wrote:

>  "The intent is that textual data comming into the execution environment from
>outside (e.g., user input, text read from a file or received over the
>network, etc.) be converted to Unicode Normalised Form C before the running
>program sees it. ... Since it is recommended that ECMAScript source code be
>in Normalised From C, string literals are guaranteed to be normalised (if
>source text is guaranteed to be normalised), ...".
>

>What is the "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?.
>Is it the same that the "POSIX (C)" ?

Not at all. Normalizing unicode means for instance that c+<cedilla code>
can translate to รง. Thus, you will not have a javascript source with a
standalone cedilla code.

If you need to grok unicode, I suggest you "Unicode Demystified" by Gillam.

This is the reference for normalization:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/

Re: What is "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?

Martin Honnen-3

Davi Leal wrote:

>   "The intent is that textual data comming into the execution environment from
> outside (e.g., user input, text read from a file or received over the
> network, etc.) be converted to Unicode Normalised Form C before the running
> program sees it. ... Since it is recommended that ECMAScript source code be
> in Normalised From C, string literals are guaranteed to be normalised (if
> source text is guaranteed to be normalised), ...".
>

> What is the "Unicode Normalised Form C" ?.

The Unicode site has this document
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr15/> describing normalization forms.

--

        Martin Honnen