What does L10N Mean?

Peter Lairo-2
I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Axel Hecht
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
> Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.

Localization -> L ocalizatio n -> L (10 chars) n -> L10n.

Same holds for I18n.

Axel

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Novica Nakov
Peter Lairo напиша:

> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
> Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.

AFAIK 10 stands for the number of letters between l and n (ocalizatio ->
  ten letters). So we have L, then 10 for the 10 letters, and n at the
end. :)

--
Novica

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Moritz 'Morty' Strübe
Peter Lairo schrieb:
> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
> Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.

Have a look, where all the knowlage is collected:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L10n

;-)

Morty

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Hendrik Maryns
Moritz 'Morty' Strübe uitte de volgende tekst op 26/11/2005 1:44:
> Peter Lairo schrieb:
>
>>I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
>>Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.
>

> Have a look, where all the knowlage is collected:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L10n

Interesting, but does anybody know where the shorting comes from?

H.

--
Hendrik Maryns

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Rod Whiteley

See: http://www.i18nguy.com/origini18n.html

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Adam Hauner
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come from?
> Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.

L, then another 10 letters, then N

--
Adam Hauner
Projekt CZilla

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Peter Lairo-2
Axel Hecht said on 25.11.2005 22:03:
> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come
>> from? Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.
>
> Localization -> L ocalizatio n -> L (10 chars) n -> L10n.

Thanks! Interesting, and oh-so l33t. But nonsensical and therefore
unprofessional. (unless I'm overlooking something clever)

> Same holds for I18n.

Same holds for l18n (whatever those 18 letter may be).

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:   www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:          www.GetThunderbird.com

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Gudmund Areskoug-2
Peter Lairo wrote:

> Axel Hecht said on 25.11.2005 22:03:
>
>> Peter Lairo wrote:
>>
>>> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come
>>> from? Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.
>>

>> Localization -> L ocalizatio n -> L (10 chars) n -> L10n.
>

> Thanks! Interesting, and oh-so l33t. But nonsensical and therefore
> unprofessional. (unless I'm overlooking something clever)
>
>> Same holds for I18n.
>

> Same holds for l18n (whatever those 18 letter may be).

I nternationalizatio n

BR,
Gudmund

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Robert Kaiser
Axel Hecht schrieb:
> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> I know that L10N means localization, but where does the term come
>> from? Is it some l33t expression? Just wondering.
>
> Localization -> L ocalizatio n -> L (10 chars) n -> L10n.
>
> Same holds for I18n.

erm, isn't that i18n (so that l and I are not problematical to know
apart from each other)?

I read it's explicitely "L10n" and "i18n" so that they can be recognized
easily ;-)

Robert Kaiser

Re: What does L10N Mean?

Robert Kaiser
Peter Lairo schrieb:
> Thanks! Interesting, and oh-so l33t. But nonsensical and therefore
> unprofessional. (unless I'm overlooking something clever)

Yes, l33t, unsensical and unprofessial enough that the expressions
"L10n" and "i18n" are used by a wide range of software companies in
proprietary and open business models alike.

Robert Kaiser