What a Way To Start The Day

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
79 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Are we friendly here *OR* what?? {was: Re: What a Way To Start The Day}

Daniel-257
squaredancer wrote:

> On 01.07.2009 05:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Dennis to
> generate the following:? :
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>  
>>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>>>
>>>    
>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>      
>>>>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>>>>        
>>>>>> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
>>>>>> statement:
>>>>>>          

<snip>

>  
>
> talking of sabbaticals......
>
> do you reckon that any posts to Screenshots will arrive there -???  
> There /have/  been some doubts expressed.
> Best bet (as we are all there anyway and it is *much* more friendly
> there) we should take this to secnews!
>
> reg

I think we *ARE* a unreasonably friendly bunch here, and if we do move
away, then there is no hope of making this a friendlier group!!

(but people should come on over to secnews, anyway!!)

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Daniel-257
In reply to this post by Ken Whiton
Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Wed, 01 Jul 2009, at 13:37:53 -0700,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* Terry R. wrote
> *-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day
>
>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on a
>> whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>           [ ... ]
>
>>> I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
>>> Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot into
>>> ASCII-Art ??
>
>> What is ASCII-Art?
>
>      It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
> this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best viewed
> using a monospaced font):
>

Loved them, Ken.

Reminds me of a print-out/picture I got in about 1980, sent over a 75
baud teletype radio channel of the NCC 1701 U.S.S. Enterprise, from
Startrek TOS. 80 characters wide, 8 or 10 lines to the inch (or there
abouts) and about 5 feet long. Unfortunately, I never got the message
code, just the printout, which I've still got tucked away.

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Dennis-77
In reply to this post by squaredancer
squaredancer wrote:

> On 02.07.2009 09:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ken Whiton to
> generate the following:? :
>> *-* On Wed, 01 Jul 2009, at 21:51:53 -0700,
>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>> *-* Terry R. wrote
>> *-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day
>>
>>  
>>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:40:23 PM, and on a
>>> whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:
>>>    
>>
>>  
>>>> *-* Terry R. wrote
>>>>      
>>
>>  
>>>>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on
>>>>> a whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:
>>>>>        
>>
>>  
>>>>            [ ... ]
>>>>      
>>
>>  
>>>>>> I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
>>>>>> Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot
>>>>>> into ASCII-Art ??
>>>>>>          
>>
>>  
>>>>> What is ASCII-Art?
>>>>>        
>>
>>  
>>>>       It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
>>>> this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best
>>>> viewed using a monospaced font):
>>>>      
>>
>>            [ ... ]
>>
>>  
>>>> or this, which I send at Christmas:
>>>>      
>>
>>  
>>>>  
>>>> .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
>>>>      
>>
>>  
>>>>         _______)    _______)   ,__)      ____,           ____,
>>>>        (--||_, _   (--|      _ |   _    (--| \ _    ,   (--/ \ ,_,
>>>>          _|| |(/_    _|(_|_)(/_|\/(/_     _|_/(_|\|/_)_    \_/_|_
>>>>         (    |__,   (                    (     ,__|         ,__|
>>>>      
>>
>>  
>>>>                     ____,,__)     ,__)
>>>>                    (--/ `|_,,_' ,-|-,_,_, _  ,
>>>>                      /   | || |/_)| | | |(_|/_)
>>>>                      \__,  |__,   |__,
>>>>      
>>
>>            [ ... ]
>>
>>  
>>> I don't see how that could "convert" a screenshot.  Maybe good for a
>>> creative mind, but not a program.
>>>    
>>
>>       Reg's question was about converting a screenshot *INTO* ASCII-Art,
>> and I suspect his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he asked
>> it. ;-)
>>
>>                                          Ken Whiton
>>  
>
> now, Ken - tell me just WHY you would suspect my tongue of being some
> place special?? :-P
>
> reg

I don't care where you put your tongue as long as you are behind
closed doors, I do NOT want to be part nor party to any of it!

I was trying to be somewhat facetious but there are programs and
websites to convert images to ascii plaintext and html.

http://www.ascii-art.org/ (plain text, ascii)
http://text-image.com/    (html text, ascii)
http://picascii.com/      (both html and plain text ascii)

Dennis
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
On 02.07.2009 13:17, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>  
>> On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>> generate the following:? :
>>    
>>> squaredancer wrote:
>>>  
>>>      
>>>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>>> generate the following:? :
>>>>    
>>>>        
>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>  
>>>>>      
>>>>>          
>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>          
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>              
>>>>>>>              
>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>                  
>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>>                      
>>>>>>>>>                  
>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>                          
>>>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>                              
>>>>>>>>>>>                      
>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>                                  
>>>>>>>>>>>>                        
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                      
>>>>>>>>>>>>>                          
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 15:25, user wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  --- Original Message ---
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                          
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                            
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 14:02, Beryl wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                              
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                              
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                                    
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                
>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>
>>>>>  
>>>>>      
>>>>>          
>>>>>>>> Phillip, when I composed my last reply, I didn't see the text in
>>>>>>>> bold, italics or underlined, just the *, / and _ either side of
>>>>>>>> the words.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> But now, when I read it here, I do see the effects and not the *,
>>>>>>>> / or _.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>  a *test*
>>>>>>>  a _Test_
>>>>>>>  a /test/
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>              
>>>>>> Okay I only saw the Bold. and the italic. but not the under line
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>>>            
>>>>> I'm seeing all three in your posts to the NG, Phillip
>>>>>
>>>>> Are all you others??
>>>>>
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>        
>>>>>          
>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered ???
>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>>
>>>> reg
>>>>    
>>>>        
>>> Thanks for that, reg. You could be right about it being a Mac thing
>>> but now that Phillip is saying he has two out of three working, I'm
>>> doubting it.
>>>
>>> Could you do me another favour and have a look at one of Phillips
>>> post, reply to it and see if your reply, before you send it, shows the
>>> three lines correctly or does it show the coding, i.e. in your reply,
>>> does Phillip's Bold show as _Bold_ or as the word Bold with an
>>> underscore at each end??
>>>
>>> Thanks, reg.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>  
>>>      
>> not sure what you are looking for, Daniel.
>> If /I/  type the "code" (asteriskWordasterisk) /that/  is what I see in
>> my post, before I send it. AFTER it is sent, I open that post from the
>> TB list, and I see *Word*  in bold font - same with italics and underline.
>> Phillip's posts show here "as should be" - no coding seen!
>> In a _reply_ to Phillip's post (which is probably what you meant for me
>> to look at), then *Phillip's* original post (to which I am replying)
>> shows the "coded" version
>> asteriskWordasterisk  for *Word*
>> underline Wordunderline for _Word_
>> slashWordslash for /Word/
>>
>> reg
>>
>>
>>    
>
> That's what I was talking about (your second try) and I now see the same
> thing happening as I reply to your message, i.e. when reading your reply
> in this message that I am about to send, where I read a bold word in
> your reply, that has become asteriskWordasterisk in my reply.
>
> Cannot say I've noticed it before, maybe I wasn't looking!!
>
> Daniel
>  
I'd not noticed that either - just when I re-read what you wanted did I
actually *LOOK*  at the quoted post and see the way it showed the codes.
Strange, but I suppose it has to do with parsing the post when being sent.

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
The date and time was Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:22:06 AM, and on a whim,
Daniel pounded out on the keyboard:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>> On 2009/06/30 6:17 AM  squaredancer wrote:
>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered ???
>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>> I'm using a Mac and I see his bold italic, and underlined as correct
>>>
>>  this is the only thing I have in the userContent.css file in Chrome
>> folder:
>>
>> #jive-wrapper {
>>
>> width:100% !important;
>>
>> background-color: #ffffff !important;
>>
>> background-image: none !important;
>>
>> }
>>
>> This is to make the adobe Forums that powered by Jive fill up screen
>> width rather than 30%
>>
>
> Gee, I've got the relevant lines of code:-
>
> /* Remove the *,/,_ characters for bold, italic, and underline from text
> messages/posts */
>
> .moz-txt-star > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
> .moz-txt-slash > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
> .moz-txt-underscore > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
>
> /
>
> in *both* my userContent.css *AND* userChrome.css!!
>
> Have I overdone it some time ago??
>
> Daniel


Yes.  Remove them from userChrome.css. I don't find any references to
them in that file.


Terry R.
--
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

PhillipJones
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
Daniel wrote:

> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>> generate the following:? :
>>> squaredancer wrote:
>>>  
>>>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>>> generate the following:? :
>>>>  
>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>  
>>>>>    
>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>          
>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>              
>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>                  
>>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>>                      
>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>                          
>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>                              
>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>                                  
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                      
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 15:25, user wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  --- Original Message ---
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                          
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 14:02, Beryl wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                              
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                                    
>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>
>>>>>  
>>>>>    
>>>>>>>> Phillip, when I composed my last reply, I didn't see the text in
>>>>>>>> bold, italics or underlined, just the *, / and _ either side of
>>>>>>>> the words.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> But now, when I read it here, I do see the effects and not the
>>>>>>>> *, / or _.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>  a *test*
>>>>>>>  a _Test_
>>>>>>>  a /test/
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>                
>>>>>> Okay I only saw the Bold. and the italic. but not the under line
>>>>>>
>>>>>>            
>>>>> I'm seeing all three in your posts to the NG, Phillip
>>>>>
>>>>> Are all you others??
>>>>>
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>        
>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered ???
>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>>
>>>> reg
>>>>    
>>>
>>> Thanks for that, reg. You could be right about it being a Mac thing
>>> but now that Phillip is saying he has two out of three working, I'm
>>> doubting it.
>>>
>>> Could you do me another favour and have a look at one of Phillips
>>> post, reply to it and see if your reply, before you send it, shows
>>> the three lines correctly or does it show the coding, i.e. in your
>>> reply, does Phillip's Bold show as _Bold_ or as the word Bold with an
>>> underscore at each end??
>>>
>>> Thanks, reg.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>>  
>>
>> not sure what you are looking for, Daniel.
>> If /I/  type the "code" (asteriskWordasterisk) /that/  is what I see
>> in my post, before I send it. AFTER it is sent, I open that post from
>> the TB list, and I see *Word*  in bold font - same with italics and
>> underline.
>> Phillip's posts show here "as should be" - no coding seen!
>> In a _reply_ to Phillip's post (which is probably what you meant for
>> me to look at), then *Phillip's* original post (to which I am
>> replying) shows the "coded" version
>> asteriskWordasterisk  for *Word*
>> underline Wordunderline for _Word_
>> slashWordslash for /Word/
>>
>> reg
>>
>>
>
> That's what I was talking about (your second try) and I now see the same
> thing happening as I reply to your message, i.e. when reading your reply
> in this message that I am about to send, where I read a bold word in
> your reply, that has become asteriskWordasterisk in my reply.
>
> Cannot say I've noticed it before, maybe I wasn't looking!!
>
> Daniel
basically what I've been trying to get across is that I can see
/Italics/ , I cab see *Bold*, but I can not see _underline_

I can create it for others to see. I've tried seeing encoding to 8859-1,
and UTF-8 makes no difference

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

PhillipJones
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
Daniel wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>> On 2009/06/30 6:17 AM  squaredancer wrote:
>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered ???
>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>
>>> I'm using a Mac and I see his bold italic, and underlined as correct
>>>
>>  this is the only thing I have in the userContent.css file in Chrome
>> folder:
>>
>> #jive-wrapper {
>>
>> width:100% !important;
>>
>> background-color: #ffffff !important;
>>
>> background-image: none !important;
>>
>> }
>>
>> This is to make the adobe Forums that powered by Jive fill up screen
>> width rather than 30%
>>
>
> Gee, I've got the relevant lines of code:-
>
> /* Remove the *,/,_ characters for bold, italic, and underline from text
> messages/posts */
>
> .moz-txt-star > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
> .moz-txt-slash > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
> .moz-txt-underscore > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
>
> /
>
> in *both* my userContent.css *AND* userChrome.css!!
>
> Have I overdone it some time ago??
>
> Daniel
what you have is already in QuoteColors  in a choice
Don't show font effect delimiters.

Above it says: Enable Font effects *bold* for bold, /Italic/ for Italic
for Italic, and _underline_ for underline.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change of topic {was: Re: What a Way To Start The Day)

PhillipJones
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
Daniel wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>> Terry R. wrote:
>>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>>>
>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>>>>> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
>>>>>> statement:
>
> <big snip for change of topic>
>
>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
>> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
>> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
>> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
>> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
>> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
>> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
>> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
>> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
>> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
>> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
>> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
>> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
>> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
>> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
>> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
>> support group.
>>
>> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
>> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
>> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
>> sabbaticals along the way.
>>
>> Dennis
>
> Dennis, don't know if you're in the picture or not, but just to make
> sure you are.....
>
> Phillip used to post to m.s.seamonkey and had, what I considered, an
> unfortunate habit of contributing to a Windows problem thread with how
> to fix that problem on a Mac.
>
> Useful to Mac users but not always useful to a Windows user.
>
> After a while, Phillip got jack of my asking him not to post a Mac
> solution to a Windows problem (as distinct to posting a SeaMonkey {on a
> Mac} solution to a SeaMonkey {on a Windows machine) problem) so
> announced that he would stop posting to the m.s.seamonkey group, and
> just post to the m.general group.
>
> I'm sorry he left the m.s.seamonkey group (we need all the poster we can
> get) but he made the decision.
>
> HTH
>
> Daniel
That was because Mac users believe it or not can, could have the same or
similar problem with SeaMonkey, FireFox, or Thunderbird.

I just got the impression that Mac user wasn't worth Jack-S... to most
on the groups so rather than banging my head and getting down right
nasty hostile come backs after I posted such. I decided since I was all
I was getting and no backup support from the Mac people. That my time
was being wasted trying to help.
  On occasion I would post a question or two. on occasion That was met
with remarks as I didn't know Mac's ever had problems with software.  So
I've even refrained from asking questions. I still read the groups and
have the temptation to say something . but I know what I would be met
with. So I refrain.

Enough on this part its long dead and buried and I am not going back.
I've always said there should be separate groups for Macs, PC and
Unix/Linux  people. That way each could ask question or receive help in
peace without someone mouthing of snide remarks. I as a Mac user, could
care less, or give a rat's behind, what platform of computer anyone
uses. The object of support groups is give support. When its made
difficult for you to do so, you decide after enough abuse, that its
unwanted.  So I announced I would stop. and except one other time right
after I announced I have kept true to my word.
--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Ken Whiton
In reply to this post by Daniel-257
*-* On Thu, 02 Jul 2009, at 21:47:58 +1000,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Daniel wrote
*-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* Terry R. wrote

>>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on
>>> a whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

>>           [ ... ]

>>>> I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
>>>> Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot
>>>> into ASCII-Art ??

>>> What is ASCII-Art?

>>      It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
>> this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best
>> viewed using a monospaced font):

> Loved them, Ken.

      Glad you did, thanks.

> Reminds me of a print-out/picture I got in about 1980, sent over a
> 75 baud teletype radio channel of the NCC 1701 U.S.S. Enterprise,
> from Startrek TOS. 80 characters wide, 8 or 10 lines to the inch (or
> there abouts) and about 5 feet long. Unfortunately, I never got the
> message code, just the printout, which I've still got tucked away.

      That must have been something to see.  I didn't create the two I
posted.  A friend sent them to me sometime in the early- to mid-1990s,
and I've kept them around for periodic re-use.

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Daniel-257
In reply to this post by Terry R.-3
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:22:06 AM, and on a whim,
> Daniel pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>>>> On 2009/06/30 6:17 AM  squaredancer wrote:
>>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered
>>>>> ???
>>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>> I'm using a Mac and I see his bold italic, and underlined as correct
>>>>
>>>  this is the only thing I have in the userContent.css file in Chrome
>>> folder:
>>>
>>> #jive-wrapper {
>>>
>>> width:100% !important;
>>>
>>> background-color: #ffffff !important;
>>>
>>> background-image: none !important;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> This is to make the adobe Forums that powered by Jive fill up screen
>>> width rather than 30%
>>>
>>
>> Gee, I've got the relevant lines of code:-
>>
>> /* Remove the *,/,_ characters for bold, italic, and underline from
>> text messages/posts */
>>
>> .moz-txt-star > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
>> .moz-txt-slash > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
>> .moz-txt-underscore > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
>>
>> /
>>
>> in *both* my userContent.css *AND* userChrome.css!!
>>
>> Have I overdone it some time ago??
>>
>> Daniel
>
>
> Yes.  Remove them from userChrome.css. I don't find any references to
> them in that file.
>
>
> Terry R.

Done, Terry....restarted SM and things still seem to be working.

Daniel
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Change of topic {was: Re: What a Way To Start The Day)

Daniel-257
In reply to this post by PhillipJones
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Dennis wrote:
>>> Terry R. wrote:
>>>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>>>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>>>>
>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>>>>>> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
>>>>>>> statement:
>>
>> <big snip for change of topic>
>>

>  So I announced I would stop. and except one other time right
> after I announced I have kept true to my word.

And we are the poorer for it!!

Daniel

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Fred Winter-2
In reply to this post by PhillipJones
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :
>>>> squaredancer wrote:
>>>>  
>>>>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>>>> generate the following:? :
>>>>>  
>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>  
>>>>>>    
>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>        
>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>            
>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>                        
>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>                            
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                    
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 15:25, user wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  --- Original Message ---
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                        
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 14:02, Beryl wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                            
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                                    
>>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  
>>>>>>    
>>>>>>>>> Phillip, when I composed my last reply, I didn't see the text
>>>>>>>>> in bold, italics or underlined, just the *, / and _ either side
>>>>>>>>> of the words.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> But now, when I read it here, I do see the effects and not the
>>>>>>>>> *, / or _.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>  a *test*
>>>>>>>>  a _Test_
>>>>>>>>  a /test/
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>> Okay I only saw the Bold. and the italic. but not the under line
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>            
>>>>>> I'm seeing all three in your posts to the NG, Phillip
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Are all you others??
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>        
>>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered
>>>>> ???
>>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>>>
>>>>> reg
>>>>>    
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for that, reg. You could be right about it being a Mac thing
>>>> but now that Phillip is saying he has two out of three working, I'm
>>>> doubting it.
>>>>
>>>> Could you do me another favour and have a look at one of Phillips
>>>> post, reply to it and see if your reply, before you send it, shows
>>>> the three lines correctly or does it show the coding, i.e. in your
>>>> reply, does Phillip's Bold show as _Bold_ or as the word Bold with
>>>> an underscore at each end??
>>>>
>>>> Thanks, reg.
>>>>
>>>> Daniel
>>>>  
>>>
>>> not sure what you are looking for, Daniel.
>>> If /I/  type the "code" (asteriskWordasterisk) /that/  is what I see
>>> in my post, before I send it. AFTER it is sent, I open that post from
>>> the TB list, and I see *Word*  in bold font - same with italics and
>>> underline.
>>> Phillip's posts show here "as should be" - no coding seen!
>>> In a _reply_ to Phillip's post (which is probably what you meant for
>>> me to look at), then *Phillip's* original post (to which I am
>>> replying) shows the "coded" version
>>> asteriskWordasterisk  for *Word*
>>> underline Wordunderline for _Word_
>>> slashWordslash for /Word/
>>>
>>> reg
>>>
>>>
>>
>> That's what I was talking about (your second try) and I now see the
>> same thing happening as I reply to your message, i.e. when reading
>> your reply in this message that I am about to send, where I read a
>> bold word in your reply, that has become asteriskWordasterisk in my
>> reply.
>>
>> Cannot say I've noticed it before, maybe I wasn't looking!!
>>
>> Daniel
> basically what I've been trying to get across is that I can see
> /Italics/ , I cab see *Bold*, but I can not see _underline_
>
> I can create it for others to see. I've tried seeing encoding to 8859-1,
> and UTF-8 makes no difference
>

Phillip,

I can see your underlines, but the underline under the text is a much
thinner line than the bracketing underscores.  Some monitors have
problems with very thin lines.  Have you tried a different monitor?

Fred
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

PhillipJones
Fred Winter wrote:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> squaredancer wrote:
>>>> On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>>> generate the following:? :
>>>>> squaredancer wrote:
>>>>>  
>>>>>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel
>>>>>> to generate the following:? :
>>>>>>  
>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>        
>>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>>            
>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>>>>> Daniel wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>                        
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>                            
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Phillip Jones wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                    
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 15:25, user wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  --- Original Message ---
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                        
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 24.06.2009 14:02, Beryl wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                            
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                                    
>>>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>>  
>>>>>>>>>> Phillip, when I composed my last reply, I didn't see the text
>>>>>>>>>> in bold, italics or underlined, just the *, / and _ either
>>>>>>>>>> side of the words.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> But now, when I read it here, I do see the effects and not the
>>>>>>>>>> *, / or _.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>>>>>                    
>>>>>>>>>  a *test*
>>>>>>>>>  a _Test_
>>>>>>>>>  a /test/
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>                
>>>>>>>> Okay I only saw the Bold. and the italic. but not the under line
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>            
>>>>>>> I'm seeing all three in your posts to the NG, Phillip
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Are all you others??
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>>>        
>>>>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't
>>>>>> know what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions
>>>>>> offered ???
>>>>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>>>>> italic, underlined.
>>>>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>>>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>>>>>
>>>>>> reg
>>>>>>    
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for that, reg. You could be right about it being a Mac thing
>>>>> but now that Phillip is saying he has two out of three working, I'm
>>>>> doubting it.
>>>>>
>>>>> Could you do me another favour and have a look at one of Phillips
>>>>> post, reply to it and see if your reply, before you send it, shows
>>>>> the three lines correctly or does it show the coding, i.e. in your
>>>>> reply, does Phillip's Bold show as _Bold_ or as the word Bold with
>>>>> an underscore at each end??
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks, reg.
>>>>>
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>>  
>>>>
>>>> not sure what you are looking for, Daniel.
>>>> If /I/  type the "code" (asteriskWordasterisk) /that/  is what I see
>>>> in my post, before I send it. AFTER it is sent, I open that post
>>>> from the TB list, and I see *Word*  in bold font - same with italics
>>>> and underline.
>>>> Phillip's posts show here "as should be" - no coding seen!
>>>> In a _reply_ to Phillip's post (which is probably what you meant for
>>>> me to look at), then *Phillip's* original post (to which I am
>>>> replying) shows the "coded" version
>>>> asteriskWordasterisk  for *Word*
>>>> underline Wordunderline for _Word_
>>>> slashWordslash for /Word/
>>>>
>>>> reg
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> That's what I was talking about (your second try) and I now see the
>>> same thing happening as I reply to your message, i.e. when reading
>>> your reply in this message that I am about to send, where I read a
>>> bold word in your reply, that has become asteriskWordasterisk in my
>>> reply.
>>>
>>> Cannot say I've noticed it before, maybe I wasn't looking!!
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> basically what I've been trying to get across is that I can see
>> /Italics/ , I cab see *Bold*, but I can not see _underline_
>>
>> I can create it for others to see. I've tried seeing encoding to
>> 8859-1, and UTF-8 makes no difference
>>
>
> Phillip,
>
> I can see your underlines, but the underline under the text is a much
> thinner line than the bracketing underscores.  Some monitors have
> problems with very thin lines.  Have you tried a different monitor?
>
> Fred
This applies whether I use my 17" Monitor on my G4-500  NEC

or the built in Display on my 17' PowerBook lap top.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Dennis-77
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:
> Dennis wrote:
>
>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>
> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>

Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
stuff is a lot of work!

One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
case I get next to a desktop sometime.

I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
out of here.

Dennis
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 15.07.2009 15:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Dennis to
generate the following:? :

> The Real Bev wrote:
>  
>> Dennis wrote:
>>
>>    
>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>>>      
>> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>>
>>    
>
> Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
> stuff is a lot of work!
>
> One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
> harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
> card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
> ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
> very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
> compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
> add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
> port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
> case I get next to a desktop sometime.
>
> I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
> the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
> out of here.
>
> Dennis
>  

that last sentence sounds as if you are in the nick *lol*

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

The Real Bev
In reply to this post by Dennis-77
Dennis wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Dennis wrote:
>>
>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>>
>> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>
> Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
> stuff is a lot of work!
>
> One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
> harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
> card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
> ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
> very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
> compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
> add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
> port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
> case I get next to a desktop sometime.

For $20-25 you can get thingies that just plug into a SATA or IDE drive and
connect it into the USB port on your computer.  No enclosure needed and works
on 2.5 and 3.5" drives.  The real 2.5" USB drives are a lot cuter, though.  I
bought the $100 ($120 now) 500G WD from Costco last month and am happy even
though it took several hours to transfer 220G to a friend's computer.

> I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
> the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
> out of here.

Reg thinks you're in jail.  Surely not...?

--
Cheers, Bev
=========================================
"Welcome to Hell, here's your accordion."
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Smiles-2
The Real Bev wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Dennis wrote:
>>>
>>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>>>
>>> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>>
>> Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
>> stuff is a lot of work!
>>
>> One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
>> harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
>> card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
>> ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
>> very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
>> compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
>> add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
>> port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
>> case I get next to a desktop sometime.
>
> For $20-25 you can get thingies that just plug into a SATA or IDE drive
> and connect it into the USB port on your computer.  No enclosure needed
> and works on 2.5 and 3.5" drives.  The real 2.5" USB drives are a lot
> cuter, though.  I bought the $100 ($120 now) 500G WD from Costco last
> month and am happy even though it took several hours to transfer 220G to
> a friend's computer.
>
>> I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
>> the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
>> out of here.
>
> Reg thinks you're in jail.  Surely not...?
>
What price!;)

I purchased one three years ago for $25 and still can buy one for under
$30 at my local store.  I agree it is slow on large drives I use it for
file transferes when setting up someones new computer

enjoy it now :)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Dennis-77
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
The Real Bev wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> Dennis wrote:
>>>
>>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>>>
>>> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>>
>> Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
>> stuff is a lot of work!
>>
>> One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
>> harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
>> card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
>> ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
>> very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
>> compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
>> add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
>> port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
>> case I get next to a desktop sometime.
>
> For $20-25 you can get thingies that just plug into a SATA or IDE drive
> and connect it into the USB port on your computer.  No enclosure needed
> and works on 2.5 and 3.5" drives.  The real 2.5" USB drives are a lot
> cuter, though.  I bought the $100 ($120 now) 500G WD from Costco last
> month and am happy even though it took several hours to transfer 220G to
> a friend's computer.

Speed is why I went with eSATA (external_SATA). I got the eSATA drive
enclosure:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2855887&CatId=2783
It will work with esata or usb2. When using esata connection it also
uses the usb for power, or I can buy a universal power supply and use
just the esata connection. It comes with an esata port that will install
in a tower pci slot opening (if you have a desktop tower (doesn't
connect to the pci bus, just uses the hole in the tower case)) and hooks
to the Main Board sata via attached cable (if your main board has sata).
Esata gives greater speed than usb2:
    * USB 1.1 – 15 Mbps
    * FireWire (1394a) – 400 Mbps
    * USB 2.0 – 480 Mbps
    * FireWire 800 (1394b) – 800 Mpbs
    * SATA 1.5 – 1.5 Gbps
    * SATA 3.0 – 3.0 Gbps

My laptop doesn't have an esata port so I had to get a PCMCIA/eSATA
card. My PCMCIA/eSATA card has two esata ports, 1.5 Gbps each.
http://www.satacard.com/pc112.html
That card uses SATA 1.5. So I am getting a little over 3 times the usb2
speed, almost double firewire speeds. I could have bought a cheaper card
but I wanted to make sure the chipset worked with linux. I checked the
chipset against the know to work sata chipsets and it was supposed to so
I bought it. It works well, it is recognized and the kernel
automatically loads the module/driver for it.

I went with the 2.5" drive enclosure because of its compact size. I can
carry it in to coffee shops in my shirt pocket, doesn't take up much
table space, and is powered by usb so I don't 'have' to have an
additional power source.

>
>> I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
>> the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
>> out of here.
>
> Reg thinks you're in jail.  Surely not...?
>

Nope, not in jail!!!! Just a little 'cooped up', or maybe feeling 'tied
down'. I need to 'cut the strings' and head out. Will be on the road
very soon. I do better on my own, by myself, no attachments, no
'live-in' ladyfriend.

Dennis

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 18.07.2009 17:31, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Dennis to
generate the following:? :

> The Real Bev wrote:
>  
>> Dennis wrote:
>>
>>    
>>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>>      
>>>> Dennis wrote:
>>>>
>>>>        
>>>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.
>>>>>          
>>>> And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?
>>>>        
>>> Don't know for sure yet. I need to find some more time! This retired
>>> stuff is a lot of work!
>>>
>>> One step in the right direction: I just got a 320 gig sata 2.5"
>>> harddrive, an esata 2.5" external hd enclosure, and an esata/pcmcia
>>> card for my laptop. I had run out of room and have been using an old
>>> ide harddrive in a usb external enclosure. That works but it is slow,
>>> very slow compared to the esata setup. Everything is small and compact
>>> compared to the 3.5" external. The esata card has two ports so I can
>>> add another ext. enclosure if I want. The enclosure came with a dual
>>> port that can mount in a tower with sata connection main board, in
>>> case I get next to a desktop sometime.
>>>      
>> For $20-25 you can get thingies that just plug into a SATA or IDE drive
>> and connect it into the USB port on your computer.  No enclosure needed
>> and works on 2.5 and 3.5" drives.  The real 2.5" USB drives are a lot
>> cuter, though.  I bought the $100 ($120 now) 500G WD from Costco last
>> month and am happy even though it took several hours to transfer 220G to
>> a friend's computer.
>>    
>
> Speed is why I went with eSATA (external_SATA). I got the eSATA drive
> enclosure:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2855887&CatId=2783
> It will work with esata or usb2. When using esata connection it also
> uses the usb for power, or I can buy a universal power supply and use
> just the esata connection. It comes with an esata port that will install
> in a tower pci slot opening (if you have a desktop tower (doesn't
> connect to the pci bus, just uses the hole in the tower case)) and hooks
> to the Main Board sata via attached cable (if your main board has sata).
> Esata gives greater speed than usb2:
>     * USB 1.1 – 15 Mbps
>     * FireWire (1394a) – 400 Mbps
>     * USB 2.0 – 480 Mbps
>     * FireWire 800 (1394b) – 800 Mpbs
>     * SATA 1.5 – 1.5 Gbps
>     * SATA 3.0 – 3.0 Gbps
>
> My laptop doesn't have an esata port so I had to get a PCMCIA/eSATA
> card. My PCMCIA/eSATA card has two esata ports, 1.5 Gbps each.
> http://www.satacard.com/pc112.html
> That card uses SATA 1.5. So I am getting a little over 3 times the usb2
> speed, almost double firewire speeds. I could have bought a cheaper card
> but I wanted to make sure the chipset worked with linux. I checked the
> chipset against the know to work sata chipsets and it was supposed to so
> I bought it. It works well, it is recognized and the kernel
> automatically loads the module/driver for it.
>
> I went with the 2.5" drive enclosure because of its compact size. I can
> carry it in to coffee shops in my shirt pocket, doesn't take up much
> table space, and is powered by usb so I don't 'have' to have an
> additional power source.
>
>  
>>> I'm kinda holed up in Michigan for the past 6 weeks. Will be back on
>>> the road again in a week or two so will have more free time when I get
>>> out of here.
>>>      
>> Reg thinks you're in jail.  Surely not...?
>>
>>    
>
> Nope, not in jail!!!! Just a little 'cooped up', or maybe feeling 'tied
> down'. I need to 'cut the strings' and head out. Will be on the road
> very soon. I do better on my own, by myself, no attachments, no
> 'live-in' ladyfriend.
>
> Dennis
>
>  
psssstttt, Dennis

"they"  are OK for a while - then they open their mouths and spoil it
all....

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
1234