What a Way To Start The Day

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

PhillipJones
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
>> statement:
>>> <x>
>>>
>>>  a *test*
>>>  a _Test_
>>>  a /test/
>>>
>> ... while composing in html mode, I do not see bold, underline or
>> italic type format in the above.
>>
>> --
>> Kind regards,
>> Melchert
>>
>> (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)
> in HTML Mode
>  would be:
>
> *TEST*
> /TEST/
> _TEST_
>
> --
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
> http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
> mailto:[hidden email]

Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
plaintext

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> Phillip Jones wrote:
>> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
>>> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
>>> statement:

>>> ... while composing in html mode, I do not see bold, underline or
>>> italic type format in the above.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Melchert
>>>
>>> (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)
>> in HTML Mode
>>  would be:
>>
>> *TEST*
>> /TEST/
>> _TEST_
>>
>> --
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
>> http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
>> mailto:[hidden email]
>>
> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
> plaintext

I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
**TEST**
//TEST//
__TEST__
(don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)

Terry R.

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Dennis-77
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Phillip Jones wrote:

>>> in HTML Mode
>>>  would be:
>>>
>>> *TEST*
>>> /TEST/
>>> _TEST_
>>>
>>> --
>>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
>>> http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
>>> mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
>> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
>> plaintext
>>

> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
> **TEST**
> //TEST//
> __TEST__
> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>

> Terry R.

Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
support group.

If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
sabbaticals along the way.

Dennis

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

The Real Bev
Dennis wrote:

> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see.

And speaking of snapshots, when are you going to put up some more?

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>> generate the following:? :

not sure what you are looking for, Daniel.
If /I/  type the "code" (asteriskWordasterisk) /that/  is what I see in
my post, before I send it. AFTER it is sent, I open that post from the
TB list, and I see *Word*  in bold font - same with italics and underline.
Phillip's posts show here "as should be" - no coding seen!
In a _reply_ to Phillip's post (which is probably what you meant for me
to look at), then *Phillip's* original post (to which I am replying)
shows the "coded" version
asteriskWordasterisk  for *Word*
underline Wordunderline for _Word_
slashWordslash for /Word/

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 30.06.2009 16:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Melchert
Fruitema to generate the following:? :

> On 28-06-2009 22:38 CET, Phillip Jones composed this enchanting
> statement:
>> <x>
>>
>>  a *test*
>>  a _Test_
>>  a /test/
>>
> ... while composing in html mode, I do not see bold, underline or
> italic type format in the above.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Melchert
>
> (MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)

hi Melchert

see Daniel's request:
<news://news.mozilla.org:119/[hidden email]>
and my reply.
I also compose in HTML (so in reality I could use the format bar *lol*)
and "see" the coding - as you post - and not the actual effect of that
coding, in the reply, /before/  I post. ie in the /compose/  window.
/After/  posting, TB shows the post correctly (from the NG) ie in the
/read/ window.
Daniel is seeing things (but not really *lol*) correctly, using SM.
There must be some setting that Phillip hasn't made yet - perhaps Larry
can help out there, as he is also on a Mac!

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 01.07.2009 05:09, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Dennis to
generate the following:? :

> Terry R. wrote:
>
>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
>>> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
>>> plaintext
>>>

>> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
>> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
>> **TEST**
>> //TEST//
>> __TEST__
>> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>>

>> Terry R.
>>

> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
> support group.
>
> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
> sabbaticals along the way.
>
> Dennis

talking of sabbaticals......

do you reckon that any posts to Screenshots will arrive there -???
There /have/  been some doubts expressed.
Best bet (as we are all there anyway and it is *much* more friendly
there) we should take this to secnews!

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

PhillipJones
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> Phillip Jones wrote:

>>> in HTML Mode
>>>  would be:
>>>
>>> *TEST*
>>> /TEST/
>>> _TEST_
>>>
>>> --
>>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
>>> http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
>>> mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
>> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
>> plaintext
>>

> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
> **TEST**
> //TEST//
> __TEST__
> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>

> Terry R.
Just like the look in this reply nothing change except the characters
are doubled

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org
mailto:[hidden email]

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:09:26 PM, and on a whim,
Dennis pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
>>> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
>>> plaintext
>>>
>> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
>> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
>> **TEST**
>> //TEST//
>> __TEST__
>> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
> support group.
>
> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
> sabbaticals along the way.
>
> Dennis

A PERFECT description Dennis.  And the facts are humorous!

Terry R.

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 5:49:58 AM, and on a
whim, Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> Okay that showed  correctly  it was in html mode.
>>> and now replying here It see it show exactly as I would type them in
>>> plaintext
>>>
>> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
>> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
>> **TEST**
>> //TEST//
>> __TEST__
>> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>>

>> Terry R.
> Just like the look in this reply nothing change except the characters
> are doubled

Yeah, doubling didn't work at all.  I thought I would get a bolded TEST
with asterisks on each end and same with the others, but it didn't work.

Terry R.

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 01.07.2009 15:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
generate the following:? :

> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:09:26 PM, and on a whim,
> Dennis pounded out on the keyboard:
>

>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>>>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
>>> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
>>> **TEST**
>>> //TEST//
>>> __TEST__
>>> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
>> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
>> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
>> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
>> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
>> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
>> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
>> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
>> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
>> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
>> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
>> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
>> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
>> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
>> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
>> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
>> support group.
>>
>> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
>> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
>> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
>> sabbaticals along the way.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

> A PERFECT description Dennis.  And the facts are humorous!
>

> Terry R.

I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot into
ASCII-Art ??

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 01.07.2009 15:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
generate the following:? :

> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 5:49:58 AM, and on a
> whim, Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:
>

>> Terry R. wrote:
>>
>>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

>>> I view them exactly as you typed them in HTML when *viewing* your reply.
>>>  Of course when you reply to a post, the text doesn't appear the same
>>> way in the Compose window.  Then I see it as:
>>> **TEST**
>>> //TEST//
>>> __TEST__
>>> (don't really know HOW this will appear as I doubled each tag)
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>>
>> Just like the look in this reply nothing change except the characters
>> are doubled
>>

> Yeah, doubling didn't work at all.  I thought I would get a bolded TEST
> with asterisks on each end and same with the others, but it didn't work.
>

> Terry R.

'tis a known bug - the "special code" (asterisk, slash, underline)
doesn't work if there are other non-alpha characters in the text!

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on a
whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 01.07.2009 15:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Terry R. to
> generate the following:? :
>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 8:09:26 PM, and on a whim,

>>> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
>>> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
>>> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
>>> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
>>> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
>>> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
>>> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
>>> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
>>> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
>>> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
>>> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
>>> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
>>> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
>>> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
>>> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
>>> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
>>> support group.
>>>
>>> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
>>> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
>>> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
>>> sabbaticals along the way.
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>
>> A PERFECT description Dennis.  And the facts are humorous!
>>

>> Terry R.
>>

> I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
> Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot into
> ASCII-Art ??
>
> reg

What is ASCII-Art?

Terry R.

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Ken Whiton
*-* On Wed, 01 Jul 2009, at 13:37:53 -0700,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Terry R. wrote
*-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day

> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on a
> whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

           [ ... ]

>> I wonder though (Dennis prompts strange thoughts....)
>> Is there an extension that automagically converts a screenshot into
>> ASCII-Art ??

> What is ASCII-Art?

      It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best viewed
using a monospaced font):

                                             ,+*^^*+___+++_
                                       ,*^^^^              )
                                    _+*                     ^**+_
                                  +^       _ _++*+_+++_,         )
                      _+^^*+_    (     ,+*^ ^          \+_        )
                     {       )  (    ,(    ,_+--+--,      ^)      ^\
                    { (@)    } f   ,(  ,+-^ __*_*_  ^^\_   ^\       )
                   {:;-/    (_+*-+^^^^^+*+*<_ _++_)_    )    )      /
                  ( /  (    (        ,___    ^*+_+* )   <    <      \
                   U _/     )    *--<  ) ^\-----++__)   )    )       )
                    (      )  _(^)^^))  )  )\^^^^^))^*+/    /       /
                  (      /  (_))_^)) )  )  ))^^^^^))^^^)__/     +^^
                 (     ,/    (^))^))  )  ) ))^^^^^^^))^^)       _)
                  *+__+*       (_))^)  ) ) ))^^^^^^))^^^^^)____*^
                  \             \_)^)_)) ))^^^^^^^^^^))^^^^)
                   (_             ^\__^^^^^^^^^^^^))^^^^^^^)
                     ^\___            ^\__^^^^^^))^^^^^^^^)\\
                          ^^^^^\uuu/^^\uuu/^^^^\^\^\^\^\^\^\^\
                             ___) >____) >___   ^\_\_\_\_\_\_\)
                            ^^^//\\_^^//\\_^       ^(\_\_\_\)
                              ^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^

or this, which I send at Christmas:

  .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

        _______)    _______)   ,__)      ____,           ____,
       (--||_, _   (--|      _ |   _    (--| \ _    ,   (--/ \ ,_,
         _|| |(/_    _|(_|_)(/_|\/(/_     _|_/(_|\|/_)_    \_/_|_
        (    |__,   (                    (     ,__|         ,__|

                    ____,,__)     ,__)
                   (--/ `|_,,_' ,-|-,_,_, _  ,
                     /   | || |/_)| | | |(_|/_)
                     \__,  |__,   |__,

  On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:
  Twelve Drummers Drumming

                    .-}        .-}        .-}
                    |_|        |_|        |_|
                    (_)        (_)  __    (_) .---.
                    | \ .--.   | \.'  '.  | \/     \
                    |\_|--o )  |\_|--o  ; |\_|--o   |
                    |:| '--'   |:|'.__.'  |:|\     /
                    |:|        |:|        |:| `---`
                    |:|_       |:|_       |:|_
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.
          |M|   |E|   |R|   |R|   |Y|   |X|   |M|   |A|   |S|
          (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)   (_)
         /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\ /\Y/\
         [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX] [XXX]
          |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||
          |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||
         _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Eleven Pipers Piping
      _     _     _     _     _     _     _     _     _     _     _
    ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)  ,/_)
     (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")   (")
     /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\   /I\
    (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\) (/^\)
     |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||
     |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||   |||
    _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_ _|||_

  Ten Lords A-Leaping

                                w              w
                 w              0__           \0__
                \0__     w     /|_     w      /_
                /_     __0/  '\/ /    \0_  '\/ /    w
             '\/ /      /_       `    /_       `  __0/
                 `   `\/  \,         _\ \,         /_
                  w                 `           `\/  \,
                 \0__      w                 w
                 /_        0__       w      \0__
                _\ \,     /|_      __0/      |_
               `        `\/  \,     /_      _\ \,
                                 `\/ /,    `

  Nine Ladies Dancing

                                                         |~
                       ()                       ()      0` |~
               ()    _/)(\_           ()      _/)(\_      0`
             _/)(\_   /^^\    ()    _/)(\_     /""\
              /~~\   /____\ _/)(\_   /``\     /____\
             /____\          /""\   /____\   ()
                     ()     /____\         _/)(\_      ()
           |~      _/)(\_           ()      /^^\     _/)(\_
          0` |~     /``\          _/)(\_   /____\     /~~\
            0`     /____\          /~~\              /____\
                                  /____\

  Eight Maids A-Milking

            __.----.       __.----.        __.----.        __.----.___
  (\(__)/)-'     (\(__)/)-'      (\(__)/)-'      (\(__)/)-'        ;--`
   `(uu)'      _  `(dd)'       _  `(gg)'       _  `(vv)'       _   |
    )  (      (|)  )  (       (|)  )  (       (|)  )  (       (|)  |
   (o  o)     8~8 (o  o)      8~8 (o  o)      8~8 (o  o)      8~8 ,/
    `--'\_    (__).`--'\_    (__).'`--'\_    (__).'`--'\_    _(__)|
         `|||~~/\||     `|||~~/\||      `|||~~/\||      `||~|| /\||
   ^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^
            __.----.       __.----.        __.----.       __.----.___
  (\(__)/)-'      (\(__)/)-'     (\(__)/)-'     (\(__)/)-'        ;--`
   `(99)'       _  `(66)'      _  `(aa)'      _  `(ee)'        _  |
    )  (       (|)  )  (      (|)  )  (      (|)  )  (        (|) |
   (o  o)      8~8 (o  o)     8~8 (o  o)     8~8 (o  o)       8~8,/
    `--'\_    (__).'`--'\_    (__).`--'\_    (__).`--'\_    _(__)|
         `|||~~/\||      `|||~~/\||     `|||~~/\||     `||~|| /\||
   ^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^

  Seven swans A-Swimming

         ___     ___     ___     ___     ___     ___     ___
        /,_ \   /,_ \   /,_ \   /,_ \   /,_ \   /,_ \   /,_ \    _,
        |/ )/   |/ )/   |/ )/   |/ )/   |/ )/   |/ )/   |/ )/   / |
          //  _/ |//  _/  //  _/  //  _/  //  _/  //  _/  //  _/  |
         / (_/   / (_/   / (_/   / (_/   / (_/   / (_/   / (_/   _)
        /   `   /   `   /   `   /   `   /   `   /   `   /   `   _/)
        \  ~=-  \  ~=-  \  ~=-  \  ~=-  \  ~=-  \  ~=-  \  ~=-   /
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

  Six Geese A-Laying
      __         __         __         __         __         __
    >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )
      )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,
     /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\
    /        ) /        ) /        ) /        ) /        ) /        )
    \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/
     `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __
        ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)

  Five Golden Rings

                      .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.
                     ((_)) ((_)) ((_)) ((_)) ((_))
                      '-'   '-'   '-'   '-'   '-'

  Four Calling Birds

                   ___       ___       ___       ___
                  ('v')     ('v')     ('v')     ('v')
                 ((   ))   ((   ))   ((   ))   ((   ))
               -/-"---"---/-"---"---/-"---"---/-"---"--

  Three French Hens

                      (\  }\   (\  }\   (\  }\
                     (  \_('> (  \_('> (  \_('>
                     (__(=_)  (__(=_)  (__(=_)
                        -"=      -"=      -"=

  Two Turtle Doves
                             _      _
                            <')_,/ <') ,/
                            (_==/  (_==/
                             ='-    ='-

  And a Partridge in a Pear Tree
                              _
                             ('>
                             /))@@@@@
                            /@"@@@@@()@
                           @@()@@()@@@@
                           @@@O@@@@()@@@
                           @()@@\@@@()@@
                            @()@||@@@@@
                              @@||@@@
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

       __,_,_,___)          _______
      (--| | |             (--/    ),_)       ,_)
         | | |  _ ,_,_        |     |_ ,_' , _|_,_,_, _  ,
       __| | | (/_| | (_|     |     | || |/_)_| | | |(_|/_)___,
      (      |___,   ,__|     \____)  |__,          |__,

                              |                         _...._
                           \  _  /                    .::o:::::.
                            (\o/)                    .:::'''':o:.
                        ---  / \  ---                :o:_    _:::
        \*/          >0>>*<<@<>0><<*<@<<      |=_- |`-'`-'`-'`-'  |=_=-|
    ___\\U//___     >*>>@><0<<*>>@><*<0<<     | =_-| o          o |_==_|
    |\\ | | \\|    >@>>0<*<<0>>@<<0<<<*<@<    |=_- | !     (    ! |=-_=|
    | \\| | _(UU)_ >((*))_>0><*<0><@<<<0<*<  _|-,-=| !    ).    ! |-_-=|_
    |\ \| || / //||.*.*.*.|>>@<<*<<@>><0<<@</=-((=_| ! __(:')__ ! |=_==_-\
    |\\_|_|&&_// ||*.*.*.*|_\\db//__     (\_/)-=))-|/^\=^=^^=^=/^\| _=-_-_\
    """"|'.'.'.|~~|.*.*.*|     ____|_   =('.')=//   ,------------.
        |'.'.'.|   ^^^^^^|____|>>>>>>|  ( ~~~ )/   (((((((())))))))
        ~~~~~~~~         '""""`------'  `w---w`     `------------'

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Terry R.-3
The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:40:23 PM, and on a
whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:

> [...]
>

>   Six Geese A-Laying
>       __         __         __         __         __         __
>     >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )      >(' )
>       )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,     )/   ,
>      /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\   /(____/\
>     /        ) /        ) /        ) /        ) /        ) /        )
>     \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/  \ `  =~~/
>      `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __ `---Y-' __
>         ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)   ~~' (__)
>

>   Five Golden Rings
>
>                       .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.
>                      ((_)) ((_)) ((_)) ((_)) ((_))
>                       '-'   '-'   '-'   '-'   '-'
>

>   Four Calling Birds
>
>                    ___       ___       ___       ___
>                   ('v')     ('v')     ('v')     ('v')
>                  ((   ))   ((   ))   ((   ))   ((   ))
>                -/-"---"---/-"---"---/-"---"---/-"---"--
>

>   Three French Hens
>
>                       (\  }\   (\  }\   (\  }\
>                      (  \_('> (  \_('> (  \_('>
>                      (__(=_)  (__(=_)  (__(=_)
>                         -"=      -"=      -"=
>
>   Two Turtle Doves
>                              _      _
>                             <')_,/ <') ,/
>                             (_==/  (_==/
>                              ='-    ='-
>

>   And a Partridge in a Pear Tree
>                               _
>                              ('>
>                              /))@@@@@
>                             /@"@@@@@()@
>                            @@()@@()@@@@
>                            @@@O@@@@()@@@
>                            @()@@\@@@()@@
>                             @()@||@@@@@
>                               @@||@@@
>                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

>   .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
>
>        __,_,_,___)          _______
>       (--| | |             (--/    ),_)       ,_)
>          | | |  _ ,_,_        |     |_ ,_' , _|_,_,_, _  ,
>        __| | | (/_| | (_|     |     | || |/_)_| | | |(_|/_)___,
>       (      |___,   ,__|     \____)  |__,          |__,
>
>                               |                         _...._
>                            \  _  /                    .::o:::::.
>                             (\o/)                    .:::'''':o:.
>                         ---  / \  ---                :o:_    _:::
>                              >*<                     `:}_>()<_{:'
>                             >0<@<                 @    `'//\\'`    @
>                            >>>@<<*              @ #     //  \\     # @
>                           >@>*<0<<<           __#_#____/'____'\____#_#__
>                          >*>>@<<<@<<         [__________________________]
>                         >@>>0<<<*<<@<         |=_- .-/\ /\ /\ /\--. =_-|
>                        >*>>0<<@<<<@<<<        |-_= | \ \\ \\ \\ \ |-_=-|
>                       >@>>*<<@<>*<<0<*<       |_=-=| / // // // / |_=-_|
>         \*/          >0>>*<<@<>0><<*<@<<      |=_- |`-'`-'`-'`-'  |=_=-|
>     ___\\U//___     >*>>@><0<<*>>@><*<0<<     | =_-| o          o |_==_|
>     |\\ | | \\|    >@>>0<*<<0>>@<<0<<<*<@<    |=_- | !     (    ! |=-_=|
>     | \\| | _(UU)_ >((*))_>0><*<0><@<<<0<*<  _|-,-=| !    ).    ! |-_-=|_
>     |\ \| || / //||.*.*.*.|>>@<<*<<@>><0<<@</=-((=_| ! __(:')__ ! |=_==_-\
>     |\\_|_|&&_// ||*.*.*.*|_\\db//__     (\_/)-=))-|/^\=^=^^=^=/^\| _=-_-_\

I don't see how that could "convert" a screenshot.  Maybe good for a
creative mind, but not a program.

Terry R.

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Ken Whiton
*-* On Wed, 01 Jul 2009, at 21:51:53 -0700,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Terry R. wrote
*-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day

> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:40:23 PM, and on a
> whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:

>> *-* Terry R. wrote

>>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 8:07:49 AM, and on
>>> a whim, squaredancer pounded out on the keyboard:

>>            [ ... ]

>>> What is ASCII-Art?

>>       It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
>> this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best
>> viewed using a monospaced font):

           [ ... ]

>> or this, which I send at Christmas:

>>   .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.

>>         _______)    _______)   ,__)      ____,           ____,
>>        (--||_, _   (--|      _ |   _    (--| \ _    ,   (--/ \ ,_,
>>          _|| |(/_    _|(_|_)(/_|\/(/_     _|_/(_|\|/_)_    \_/_|_
>>         (    |__,   (                    (     ,__|         ,__|

>>                     ____,,__)     ,__)
>>                    (--/ `|_,,_' ,-|-,_,_, _  ,
>>                      /   | || |/_)| | | |(_|/_)
>>                      \__,  |__,   |__,

           [ ... ]

> I don't see how that could "convert" a screenshot.  Maybe good for a
> creative mind, but not a program.

      Reg's question was about converting a screenshot *INTO* ASCII-Art,
and I suspect his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he asked
it. ;-)

                                         Ken Whiton
--
     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

squaredancer
On 02.07.2009 09:02, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ken Whiton to
generate the following:? :

> *-* On Wed, 01 Jul 2009, at 21:51:53 -0700,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* Terry R. wrote
> *-* About Re: What a Way To Start The Day
>

>> The date and time was Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:40:23 PM, and on a
>> whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard:
>>

>>> *-* Terry R. wrote

>>>            [ ... ]

>>>       It's pictures created using only keyboard characters, such as
>>> this, that I send to family and friends at Thanksgiving (best
>>> viewed using a monospaced font):
>>>

>            [ ... ]
>

>>> or this, which I send at Christmas:
>>>

>>>   .:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:.
>>>

>>>         _______)    _______)   ,__)      ____,           ____,
>>>        (--||_, _   (--|      _ |   _    (--| \ _    ,   (--/ \ ,_,
>>>          _|| |(/_    _|(_|_)(/_|\/(/_     _|_/(_|\|/_)_    \_/_|_
>>>         (    |__,   (                    (     ,__|         ,__|
>>>

>>>                     ____,,__)     ,__)
>>>                    (--/ `|_,,_' ,-|-,_,_, _  ,
>>>                      /   | || |/_)| | | |(_|/_)
>>>                      \__,  |__,   |__,
>>>

>            [ ... ]
>

>> I don't see how that could "convert" a screenshot.  Maybe good for a
>> creative mind, but not a program.
>>

>       Reg's question was about converting a screenshot *INTO* ASCII-Art,
> and I suspect his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he asked
> it. ;-)
>
>                                          Ken Whiton

now, Ken - tell me just WHY you would suspect my tongue of being some
place special?? :-P

reg

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Daniel-257
squaredancer wrote:

> On 30.06.2009 14:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 30.06.2009 13:05, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

That's what I was talking about (your second try) and I now see the same
thing happening as I reply to your message, i.e. when reading your reply
in this message that I am about to send, where I read a bold word in
your reply, that has become asteriskWordasterisk in my reply.

Cannot say I've noticed it before, maybe I wasn't looking!!

Daniel

Re: What a Way To Start The Day

Daniel-257
Phillip Jones wrote:

> Larry Gusaas wrote:
>> On 2009/06/30 6:17 AM  squaredancer wrote:
>>> Phillip has had this problem for a long, long time now - don't know
>>> what causes it, nor if he has implemented all the solutions offered ???
>>> and "Yes" - I see the /correct/  presentation of his posts, bold,
>>> italic, underlined.
>>> The problem can - IMO - only be solved by another Mac-user, as
>>> Windows users are seeing his posts as they are supposed to show!
>>
>> I'm using a Mac and I see his bold italic, and underlined as correct
>>
>  this is the only thing I have in the userContent.css file in Chrome
> folder:
>
> #jive-wrapper {
>
> width:100% !important;
>
> background-color: #ffffff !important;
>
> background-image: none !important;
>
> }
>
> This is to make the adobe Forums that powered by Jive fill up screen
> width rather than 30%

Gee, I've got the relevant lines of code:-

/* Remove the *,/,_ characters for bold, italic, and underline from text
messages/posts */

.moz-txt-star > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
.moz-txt-slash > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }
.moz-txt-underscore > .moz-txt-tag { display: none; }

/

in *both* my userContent.css *AND* userChrome.css!!

Have I overdone it some time ago??

Daniel

Change of topic {was: Re: What a Way To Start The Day)

Daniel-257
Dennis wrote:
> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:27:20 PM, and on a whim,
>> Phillip Jones pounded out on the keyboard:

<big snip for change of topic>

> Well just post a snapshot! Then everyone can see what you see. But in
> order to do that you will first need to make a post in some support
> group under the guise of some kind of support topic so you won't be
> off topic. Then you can submit a screenshot to the screenshot group
> telling only where the discussion is taking place. Now hoping that the
> thread hasn't gone off topic and moved to here, general, because
> general isn't technically a support group. So I guess if you can't
> discuss it in the screenshot group and you can't see it anywhere
> except the screenshot group then the most logical alternative would be
> to spend countless hours making the screenshot into ascii art. Then
> you could post the ascii art in any of the support groups except that
> it would probably be flagged as off topic and moved to here. So in the
> circular fashion deemed appropriate by the powers that be we are right
> back to where we started several months ago when Phillip mentioned
> that he couldn't see the underlined text in plain text messages. But
> then maybe that should be expected. After all, general really isn't a
> support group.
>
> If you really want to get circular, simply print this out and throw it
> in the circular file. A fitting demise for this post though the
> discussion will probably go on for several more months taking short
> sabbaticals along the way.
>
> Dennis

Dennis, don't know if you're in the picture or not, but just to make
sure you are.....

Phillip used to post to m.s.seamonkey and had, what I considered, an
unfortunate habit of contributing to a Windows problem thread with how
to fix that problem on a Mac.

Useful to Mac users but not always useful to a Windows user.

After a while, Phillip got jack of my asking him not to post a Mac
solution to a Windows problem (as distinct to posting a SeaMonkey {on a
Mac} solution to a SeaMonkey {on a Windows machine) problem) so
announced that he would stop posting to the m.s.seamonkey group, and
just post to the m.general group.

I'm sorry he left the m.s.seamonkey group (we need all the poster we can
get) but he made the decision.

HTH

Daniel