What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

David T. Johnson
The Web Standards Project (http://www.webstandards.org/) has their Acid2
browser rendering test to see how well a browser conforms to current
standards.  If you are using an OS/2 browser, go to the test page below
and test your browser's rendering to see how it does.  When I do the
test with this browser, it only renders about 70% correctly as it's
rendering engine is becoming old, by internet standards.  I am wondering
how well other OS/2 web browsers do with this test.


http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html


--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and Sea Monkey 1.5a

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Peter Brown-2
Hi David

David T. Johnson wrote:

> The Web Standards Project (http://www.webstandards.org/) has their Acid2
> browser rendering test to see how well a browser conforms to current
> standards.  If you are using an OS/2 browser, go to the test page below
> and test your browser's rendering to see how it does.  When I do the
> test with this browser, it only renders about 70% correctly as it's
> rendering engine is becoming old, by internet standards.  I am wondering
> how well other OS/2 web browsers do with this test.
>
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html
>
>


Well, something wrong with either SM117(PmW) or the code behind "Take
The Acid2 test" as the image rendered does not compare very well with
"the reference rendering" at all.

The reference is obviously an image, the Acid2 render does not render a
complete image; some of the image is on the other side of the page and
some is simply missing.

Regards

Pete
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Steve Wendt
On 12/19/07 07:04 pm, Peter Brown wrote:

> Well, something wrong with either SM117(PmW) or the code behind "Take
> The Acid2 test" as the image rendered does not compare very well with
> "the reference rendering" at all.

Gecko 1.8.x does not implement all of the CSS2 spec.  Gecko 1.9 is
supposed to do better - try it on a recent trunk build.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by David T. Johnson
On 12/19/07 05:03 pm, David T. Johnson wrote:

> The Web Standards Project (http://www.webstandards.org/) has their Acid2
> browser rendering test to see how well a browser conforms to current
> standards. If you are using an OS/2 browser, go to the test page below
> and test your browser's rendering to see how it does. When I do the test
> with this browser, it only renders about 70% correctly as it's rendering
> engine is becoming old, by internet standards. I am wondering how well
> other OS/2 web browsers do with this test.
>
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html
>
>
I tried it a couple of weeks ago and the mouth and nose were out by one
pixel. Today with a couple of days old build of trunk it first displayed
perfectly, then I changed tabs and when coming back the eyes have been
replaced by some orange with scroll bars. Both times when hovering the
mouse over the tab the little image has the nose strip to wide. Trunk is
slowly getting better but not there yet.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by David T. Johnson
On 12/19/07 05:03 pm, David T. Johnson wrote:

> The Web Standards Project (http://www.webstandards.org/) has their Acid2
> browser rendering test to see how well a browser conforms to current
> standards. If you are using an OS/2 browser, go to the test page below
> and test your browser's rendering to see how it does. When I do the test
> with this browser, it only renders about 70% correctly as it's rendering
> engine is becoming old, by internet standards. I am wondering how well
> other OS/2 web browsers do with this test.
>
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html
>
>

According to the bug,
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=289480, the webstandards
page is currently broken. This probably explains why IE8 is supposed to
have passed :)
This site has a working mirror, http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/.
Here the only glitch is the nose appears to be one pixel big and Hello
World is a pixel or 2 high. Pretty good. This is Seamonkey trunk built
on Dec 16.

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Peter Weilbacher
On 20.12.2007 09:23, Dave Yeo wrote:

> This site has a working mirror, http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/.
> Here the only glitch is the nose appears to be one pixel big and Hello
> World is a pixel or 2 high. Pretty good. This is Seamonkey trunk built
> on Dec 16.

Don't know what you are doing but for me it passes perfectly ever since
August or so (when I fixed some font metrics stuff that I had previously
implemented in a wrong way). I try it with every nightly release that I
upload.
But you should make sure that you run it with default settings (clean
profile?), once you have tweaked those by setting e.g. a minimal font
size or another default font size it will be screwed up. But that's OK,
see the hints on <http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/>.

So, the answer to David is that both Firefox and SeaMonkey "nightlies"
from <http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=183811&package_id=213528>
do pass the test.
--
Please                      Enhanced OS/2 builds of Mozilla applications
reply in                                    http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/
newsgroup
     Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Peter Weilbacher
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
On 20.12.07 09:23, Dave Yeo wrote:

> This site has a working mirror, http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/.
> Here the only glitch is the nose appears to be one pixel big

Actually, this got me thinking, but if you look closely you can see that
this is because the nose is antialiased (by cairo) while that is not the
case in the reference rendering. Because it isn't specified anywhere that
it should be drawn without antialiasing, this should not be a problem.
I now also found <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343583>
which came to the same conclusion.
--
Please                      Enhanced OS/2 builds of Mozilla applications
reply in                                    http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/
newsgroup
     Steve's Warpzilla Tips: http://www.os2bbs.com/os2news/Warpzilla.html

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Dave Yeo-3
On 12/20/07 01:52 pm, Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> On 20.12.07 09:23, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> This site has a working mirror, http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/.
>> Here the only glitch is the nose appears to be one pixel big
>
> Actually, this got me thinking, but if you look closely you can see that
> this is because the nose is antialiased (by cairo) while that is not the
> case in the reference rendering. Because it isn't specified anywhere that
> it should be drawn without antialiasing, this should not be a problem.
> I now also found <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343583>
> which came to the same conclusion.

Yes, that may be the answer, or it could be something with my profile.
The nose is actually slightly bigger here with the top being about a
pixel higher. It also fails if you zoom in or out though I think that is
not defined.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What OS/2 browsers pass the 'Acid2' test?

Rich Walsh
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:18:02 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/20/07 01:52 pm, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> > On 20.12.07 09:23, Dave Yeo wrote:
> >
> >> This site has a working mirror, http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/.
> >> Here the only glitch is the nose appears to be one pixel big
> >
> > Actually, this got me thinking, but if you look closely you can see that
> > this is because the nose is antialiased (by cairo) while that is not the
> > case in the reference rendering. Because it isn't specified anywhere that
> > it should be drawn without antialiasing, this should not be a problem.
> > I now also found <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=343583>
> > which came to the same conclusion.
>
> Yes, that may be the answer, or it could be something with my profile.
> The nose is actually slightly bigger here with the top being about a
> pixel higher. It also fails if you zoom in or out though I think that is
> not defined.

The nose is one pixel larger vertically because the widest horizontal line
is 2 pixels high - in the reference, it's only one pixel.  The antialiasing
doesn't change the size of the black/blue nose element, it only makes it
look slightly larger because the gray fuzz is added around the nose's edges.

FWIW, I tried this with Safari 3 on a Mac, and it too renders the center line
as two pixels (sans antialiasing).  I suppose this is a function of the order
in which borders are drawn (as discussed in the bug cited).


--
== == almost usable email address:  rws AT e-vertise.com == ==
___________________________________________________________________
                |
                |          Remote Workplace Server v0.80
Rich Walsh      |      interact with the WPS from any program
Ft Myers, FL    |       http://e-vertise.com/rws/rws080.zip
___________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2