Webserver Flexibility

Glen-3
Hi,

I am interested in installing Bugzilla, but cannot personally maintain
an apache webserver.  As such, I was curious as to whether or not it is
possible to have Bugzilla work with a webserver on a different computer
(in my case, we have a department webserver that is maintained by a
network administrator, and I want to install Bugzilla on my mac).

If this is possible, what are the necessary settings and configurations
for both the tracker and the webserver?

Thanks

Re: Webserver Flexibility

A. Karl Kornel
In article <d96urk$[hidden email]>, Glen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in installing Bugzilla, but cannot personally maintain
> an apache webserver.  As such, I was curious as to whether or not it is
> possible to have Bugzilla work with a webserver on a different computer
> (in my case, we have a department webserver that is maintained by a
> network administrator, and I want to install Bugzilla on my mac).
>
> If this is possible, what are the necessary settings and configurations
> for both the tracker and the webserver?
>
> Thanks

   I'm running an installation on Mac OS X 10.4, and there wasn't too
much work involved in getting everything set up.

   For Apache, I was able to use the built-in installation of Apache,
which you turn on in System Preferences->Sharing.  I did have to add the
following directives to/etc/httpd/httpd.conf:

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/bugzilla">
AddHandler cgi-script cgi
AllowOverride All
<FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
  Options +ExecCGI
</FilesMatch>
DirectoryIndex index.cgi
</Directory>

   Or at least, something like that.  The above lines, sans the
<Directory>, can be placed in the .htaccess in the bugzilla directory
(after it's created by checksetup.pl).  Just make sure to put
"AllowOverrides All" into /etc/httpd/httpd.conf.

   I installed Bugzilla into /Library/WebServer/Documents/bugzilla.
Besides the built-in Apache, you'll need MySQL.  I suggest downloading
Fink and then using it to install MySQL.  I added the following 3 lines
into /etc/rc.local to start MySQL on boot (assumes you using Fink to
install MySQL).

# Start MySQL
echo "Starting MySQL..."
/sw/bin/mysqld_safe --big-tables --skip-networking
--max-allowed-packet=16M --skip-bdb --skip-innodb --skip-isam &

   Note the last line is very long, and should not be wrapped.  This
disables some of the database drivers that are not needed, disables
connections from other machine on the network, allows for large
temporary tables (good if you'll end up doing large bug searches), and
also increases the maximum packet size to 16 megabytes (which means you
can have larger attachments).

   There are only two other things to note.  First of all, you'll have
to manually install a number of Perl modules.  checksetup.pl will tell
you what you need.  You can get them from www.cpan.org.  Secondly,
you'll have to tell MySQL to use the old password format.  Go to
<http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/win32install.html> and search for "client
does not support" for more information.

   Good luck!

Re: Webserver Flexibility

Glen-3
A. Karl Kornel wrote:

> In article <d96urk$[hidden email]>, Glen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am interested in installing Bugzilla, but cannot personally maintain
>>an apache webserver.  As such, I was curious as to whether or not it is
>>possible to have Bugzilla work with a webserver on a different computer
>>(in my case, we have a department webserver that is maintained by a
>>network administrator, and I want to install Bugzilla on my mac).
>>
>>If this is possible, what are the necessary settings and configurations
>>for both the tracker and the webserver?
>>
>>Thanks
>

>    I'm running an installation on Mac OS X 10.4, and there wasn't too
> much work involved in getting everything set up.
>
>    For Apache, I was able to use the built-in installation of Apache,
> which you turn on in System Preferences->Sharing.  I did have to add the
> following directives to/etc/httpd/httpd.conf:
>
> <Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/bugzilla">
> AddHandler cgi-script cgi
> AllowOverride All
> <FilesMatch ^(.*\.cgi)$>
>   Options +ExecCGI
> </FilesMatch>
> DirectoryIndex index.cgi
> </Directory>
>
>    Or at least, something like that.  The above lines, sans the
> <Directory>, can be placed in the .htaccess in the bugzilla directory
> (after it's created by checksetup.pl).  Just make sure to put
> "AllowOverrides All" into /etc/httpd/httpd.conf.
>
>    I installed Bugzilla into /Library/WebServer/Documents/bugzilla.
> Besides the built-in Apache, you'll need MySQL.  I suggest downloading
> Fink and then using it to install MySQL.  I added the following 3 lines
> into /etc/rc.local to start MySQL on boot (assumes you using Fink to
> install MySQL).
>
> # Start MySQL
> echo "Starting MySQL..."
> /sw/bin/mysqld_safe --big-tables --skip-networking
> --max-allowed-packet=16M --skip-bdb --skip-innodb --skip-isam &
>
>    Note the last line is very long, and should not be wrapped.  This
> disables some of the database drivers that are not needed, disables
> connections from other machine on the network, allows for large
> temporary tables (good if you'll end up doing large bug searches), and
> also increases the maximum packet size to 16 megabytes (which means you
> can have larger attachments).
>
>    There are only two other things to note.  First of all, you'll have
> to manually install a number of Perl modules.  checksetup.pl will tell
> you what you need.  You can get them from www.cpan.org.  Secondly,
> you'll have to tell MySQL to use the old password format.  Go to
> <http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/win32install.html> and search for "client
> does not support" for more information.
>
>    Good luck!
Thank you very much for that.  I will definitely try this out.