Webpage Problem

Patrick J. Kearney
Hi:

I recently upgraded to Mozilla Firefox and in
general have been very happy with it.  However,
I recently upgraded a page on my website and
it looks like crap.

http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html

In Explorer in looks okay, though. Don't know
what it looks like in Netscape since I don't
have that installed.

Any pointers are t what I'm doing wrong would
be gratefully accepted.

Patrick K.

Re: Webpage Problem

Philip Chee
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:11:01 -0800, Patrick J. Kearney wrote:

> http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html

> In Explorer in looks okay, though. Don't know
> what it looks like in Netscape since I don't
> have that installed.

> Any pointers are t what I'm doing wrong would
> be gratefully accepted.

"Failed validation, 197 errors"

<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline>

First correct your html errors.

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

Re: Webpage Problem

Maxilys-2
Patrick J. Kearney wrote:

        [---CUT---]
> I recently upgraded a page on my website and
> it looks like crap.
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html
>
> In Explorer in looks okay, though. Don't know
        [---CUT---]

> Any pointers are t what I'm doing wrong would
> be gratefully accepted.

Here's a pointer:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonic.net%2F%7Epatk%2FLouis_Perceau.html

IE is crap. It respects no web standard. Don't use it as a reference.
The only real reference is here:

http://validator.w3.org/

Just my 0.02 euros,

Re: Webpage Problem

Patrick J. Kearney
Philip Chee wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:11:01 -0800, Patrick J. Kearney wrote:
>

>>http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html
>

>>In Explorer in looks okay, though. Don't know
>>what it looks like in Netscape since I don't
>>have that installed.
>

>>Any pointers are t what I'm doing wrong would
>>be gratefully accepted.
>

> "Failed validation, 197 errors"
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline>
>
> First correct your html errors.
>
> Phil

Much obliged for the pointer. Unfortunately, as a novice
in these matters, much of what this site found wrong with
the page in question is a trifle arcane.

For example, the very first problem:

> Error  Line 5 column 72: end tag for "meta" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.
>
> ...ype" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
>
> You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

This particular line is generated automatically by the
web authoring programme I use, and looks like this:

It seems odd that this would be in error.

Patrick K

Re: Webpage Problem

Robert Blair-2
"Patrick J. Kearney" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I recently upgraded to Mozilla Firefox and in
> general have been very happy with it.  However,
> I recently upgraded a page on my website and
> it looks like crap.
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~patk/Louis_Perceau.html
>
> In Explorer in looks okay, though. Don't know
> what it looks like in Netscape since I don't
> have that installed.
>
> Any pointers are t what I'm doing wrong would
> be gratefully accepted.
>
> Patrick K.

In the first line -- in the !DOCTYPE -- the page claims to be XHMTL
1.0.  However, the syntax used throughout the page is HTML 4.01 and
not XHMTL.

--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/>

complies with Web standards.  See <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/>.

Re: Webpage Problem

RJack-10
Patrick J. Kearney wrote:

> Much obliged for the pointer. Unfortunately, as a novice
> in these matters, much of what this site found wrong with
> the page in question is a trifle arcane.
>
> For example, the very first problem:
>
>> Error  Line 5 column 72: end tag for "meta" omitted, but OMITTAG NO
>> was specified.
>>
>> ...ype" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
>>
>> You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to
>> "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
>
> This particular line is generated automatically by the
> web authoring programme I use, and looks like this:

> It seems odd that this would be in error.

Sadly even that one would think that those commercial programs would be
following standards and make correct HTML (XHTML in your case), they are the
main reasons why the internet is densely populated by broken websites and few
does something about it as they are using a browser that don't care much about
international standards.

If you want to have correct HTML/XHTML, you need to correct those faults by
hand if you are going to use those tools you are using today.

Therefore you would need to change

as the first one is HTML while the second is XHTML.

 //Aho

Re: Webpage Problem

Philip Chee
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:23:09 -0800, Patrick J. Kearney wrote:
> Philip Chee wrote:

> Much obliged for the pointer. Unfortunately, as a novice
> in these matters, much of what this site found wrong with
> the page in question is a trifle arcane.

> For example, the very first problem:

>> Error  Line 5 column 72: end tag for "meta" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified.

>> ...ype" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

>> You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

> This particular line is generated automatically by the
> web authoring programme I use, and looks like this:

> It seems odd that this would be in error.

Your doc type is XHTML strict but your syntax isn't. I suggest that you use
a better web authoring programme.

> Patrick K

Phil
--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
[ ]BASIC isn't; C stands for Confusing...
* TagZilla 0.059