WebP

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
I read that Mozilla does not intend to implement WebP until it is more
feature rich and mature. Does Mozilla intend to work with Google to get
WebP to such a state the way it worked with Xiph for Vorbis/theora and
Google for WebM?

Re: WebP

Robert O'Callahan-3
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Michael B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read that Mozilla does not intend to implement WebP until it is more
> feature rich and mature. Does Mozilla intend to work with Google to get WebP
> to such a state the way it worked with Xiph for Vorbis/theora and Google for
> WebM?

Unclear. We're busy with Opus, plus I think contributing to VP8 is higher
priority than WebP at this time; some of that may spill over to WebP anyway.

Rob

Re: WebP

Omega X-2
On 4/24/2011 6:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Michael B.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I read that Mozilla does not intend to implement WebP until it is more
>> feature rich and mature. Does Mozilla intend to work with Google to get WebP
>> to such a state the way it worked with Xiph for Vorbis/theora and Google for
>> WebM?
>>

> Unclear. We're busy with Opus, plus I think contributing to VP8 is higher
> priority than WebP at this time; some of that may spill over to WebP anyway.
>
> Rob

What's Opus? I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the goals.

Re: WebP

Boris Zbarsky
On 4/24/11 9:53 PM, Omega X wrote:
> What's Opus? I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the goals.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-codec-opus-05

-Boris

Re: WebP

Omega X-2
On 4/24/2011 9:00 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 4/24/11 9:53 PM, Omega X wrote:
>> What's Opus? I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the goals.
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-codec-opus-05
>
> -Boris

AHH! CELT! Ok, that Opus. Forgot all about that project.

Re: WebP

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
On 04/24/2011 06:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Michael B.<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I read that Mozilla does not intend to implement WebP until it is more
>> feature rich and mature. Does Mozilla intend to work with Google to get WebP
>> to such a state the way it worked with Xiph for Vorbis/theora and Google for
>> WebM?
>>

> Unclear. We're busy with Opus, plus I think contributing to VP8 is higher
> priority than WebP at this time; some of that may spill over to WebP anyway.
>
> Rob

I agree with that decision and the rational you just gave. I do hope
that Mozilla lobbies Google to get what they want out of WebP before
Google freezes the bitstream. Thanks for the clarification.