Web site doesn't recognize FF 4.0.1 as HTML5 capable

Web site doesn't recognize FF 4.0.1 as HTML5 capable

Alan Beagley-2
I've played many YouTube videos using HTML5, but

https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=7466

tells me to upgrade to an HTML5-capable browser and wants me to install
Apple's Safari (which I have tried on and deleted from my Windows machine).

Is this due to a problem with FF or to a problem with the Web site in
question?

-=-
Alan

Re: Web site doesn't recognize FF 4.0.1 as HTML5 capable

James Moe-3
On 06/19/2011 10:28 AM, Alan Beagley wrote:

> I've played many YouTube videos using HTML5, but
>
> https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=7466
>
> tells me to upgrade to an HTML5-capable browser and wants me to install
> Apple's Safari (which I have tried on and deleted from my Windows machine).
>
> Is this due to a problem with FF or to a problem with the Web site in
> question?

  Since other sites have no problem with playing videos a la html5, the
fault must reside with the exception.
  The site uses loads of Javascript which includes browser probing,
i.e., it is explicitly deciding for you if your browser is good enough
for their site. (Most sites let you browser decide about that.)
Obviously they are behind on keeping their probe software up to date.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: Web site doesn't recognize FF 4.0.1 as HTML5 capable

Dave Yeo-3
Alan Beagley wrote:

> I've played many YouTube videos using HTML5, but
>
> https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=7466
>
> tells me to upgrade to an HTML5-capable browser and wants me to install
> Apple's Safari (which I have tried on and deleted from my Windows machine).
>
> Is this due to a problem with FF or to a problem with the Web site in
> question?

The problem is that HTML5 has forked with Google and Mozilla using WEBM
(VP8+ogg) to play videos and Apple and to a lesser extend Microsoft
using H-264 to play videos.
This video seems to be H-264. If you can save the video then MPlayer
will play it.
Dave