We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Jason Duell-3
As of bug 605180 landing we now have FAIL_ON_WARNINGS turned on in the
Makefiles for some necko directories (wyciwyg, websockets,
file|res|data|device|ftp|viewsource protocols).    With Ms2ger's help we
plan to land this for all the remaining directories.

I'm assuming that benefit of this (catching new warnings that may
represent code errors/issues) outweighs the negative (your patch may
compile file on your dev platform then bounce when you check it in--of
course this is moot if you run your patches through tryserver).

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, it's probably a good time to pipe up.

Jason

Re: We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Patrick McManus
which dev platforms (if an) will show the matches-m-c/try behavior?

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 12:28 -0700, Jason Duell wrote:

> As of bug 605180 landing we now have FAIL_ON_WARNINGS turned on in the
> Makefiles for some necko directories (wyciwyg, websockets,
> file|res|data|device|ftp|viewsource protocols).    With Ms2ger's help we
> plan to land this for all the remaining directories.
>
> I'm assuming that benefit of this (catching new warnings that may
> represent code errors/issues) outweighs the negative (your patch may
> compile file on your dev platform then bounce when you check it in--of
> course this is moot if you run your patches through tryserver).
>
> If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, it's probably a good time to pipe up.
>
> Jason

Re: We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Patrick McManus
let's try that again: "Which dev platforms (if any) will show the
fail-on-warning behavior that matches what try and m-c are now doing."

Sorry about that lapse in lucidity.

-P

On 04/13/2012 12:37 PM, Patrick McManus wrote:
> let's try that again: "Which dev platforms (if any) will show the
> fail-on-warning behavior that matches what try and m-c are now doing."

Win32/Linux/OSX/Android, I would guess.   I'd guess B2G doesn't require
anything not covered by those platforms.

Jason

Re: We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Brian Smith-31
Jason Duell wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 12:37 PM, Patrick McManus wrote:
> > let's try that again: "Which dev platforms (if any) will show the
> > fail-on-warning behavior that matches what try and m-c are now
> > doing."
>
> Win32/Linux/OSX/Android, I would guess.   I'd guess B2G doesn't
> require anything not covered by those platforms.

If this is true, then that is great.

I suspect that we have to do something special to get the warnings-as-failure behavior on Windows, which I would like to do, as otherwise I'm pretty much the only one that seems all the Win32-specific warnings.

Cheers,
Brian

Re: We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Christian Biesinger-2
This is great! Thanks for doing this work!

-christian
On Apr 13, 2012 12:29 PM, "Jason Duell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As of bug 605180 landing we now have FAIL_ON_WARNINGS turned on in the
> Makefiles for some necko directories (wyciwyg, websockets,
> file|res|data|device|ftp|**viewsource protocols).    With Ms2ger's help
> we plan to land this for all the remaining directories.
>
> I'm assuming that benefit of this (catching new warnings that may
> represent code errors/issues) outweighs the negative (your patch may
> compile file on your dev platform then bounce when you check it in--of
> course this is moot if you run your patches through tryserver).
>
> If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, it's probably a good time to pipe up.
>
> Jason

Re: We're now starting to treat compiler errors as warnings in necko

Jason Duell-3
One last thing: note that to actually have your local build enable
FAIL_ON_WARNINGS you need to pass --enable-warnings-as-errors to configure.

Jason