War on patented codecs

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
I've been reading headlines that say Mozilla has capitulated in the war
on h.264. I don't know if this is true or not, but even if it is, I
don't think the war on patented media codecs should be abandoned
entirely. Isn't there potentially still hope with Xiph's experimental
Daala video codec?

Re: War on patented codecs

WaltS-3
On 03/21/2012 03:16 PM, Michael B. wrote:
> I've been reading headlines that say Mozilla has capitulated in the war
> on h.264. I don't know if this is true or not, but even if it is, I
> don't think the war on patented media codecs should be abandoned
> entirely. Isn't there potentially still hope with Xiph's experimental
> Daala video codec?

Straight from the Chair of the Mozilla Foundation herself,

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/03/18/video-user-experience-and-our-mission/1234/

Never heard of Xiph or the Daala video codec.

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 12.1 | KDE 4.7.2
Humans aren't a color of skin, a religion, a sex, a sexual orientation,

Re: War on patented codecs

Prescience500 (Bugzilla)
On 03/21/2012 05:27 PM, WLS wrote:

> On 03/21/2012 03:16 PM, Michael B. wrote:
>> I've been reading headlines that say Mozilla has capitulated in the war
>> on h.264. I don't know if this is true or not, but even if it is, I
>> don't think the war on patented media codecs should be abandoned
>> entirely. Isn't there potentially still hope with Xiph's experimental
>> Daala video codec?
>

> Straight from the Chair of the Mozilla Foundation herself,
>
> http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/03/18/video-user-experience-and-our-mission/1234/
>
> Never heard of Xiph or the Daala video codec.

Thanks for the link. It was informative. Let me return the favor and
give you some information on both the Xiph Foundation and Daala.

xiph.org

https://xiph.org/dalla/

wiki.xiph.org/Daalla