WAVE toolbar for Firefox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WAVE toolbar for Firefox

Aaron Leventhal-3
Has anyone tried it?

The extension is still marked experimental, which is a shame. They need
reviewers to comment on the toolbar and whether it's working for them:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/6720

- Aaron
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: WAVE toolbar for Firefox

jsp (Bugzilla)
The WAVE folks need to make it possible for people to comment.  After
trying out the WAVE toolbar, I went to their feedback page
(http://wave.webaim.org/feedback) and entered a message (see below).
When I submitted it, a message appeared saying "Your message appears to
be spam. Please remove all links and spam like materials from the
message."  Since my message contained no links and I had no idea what
they might think is "spam like", I tried clicking their message (which
appeared to be a link), but nothing happened.

I want to like the WAVE toolbar, but they're making it really, really
hard.  Still, in case someone working on it reads this list, or someone
who reads this list can forward my comments, they follow:


Per a plea from Aaron Leventhal on the Mozilla accessibility list, I've
given the WAVE Toolbar for Firefox a whirl.  Sadly, it doesn't work
especially well for me.

First, while a message that says, "Uh oh, WAVE has detected [N]
accessibility error[s]" is displayed when I check my pages for "Errors,
Features, and Alerts," I can only find N-1 types of errors flagged by
error icons on the page.  Especially problematic is the case where N=1:
no error icons are displayed, so if WAVE really thinks there is an
error, I can't establish what it is.

Second, running either the "Structure/Order" or "Text-only"
transformation on a page seems to interfere with the operation of
scripts until the page is reloaded.  On my pages, it looks like dynamic
style and image changes don't work, at a minimum.  (Sorry, I don't have
time at the moment to nail the problem down precisely.)  "Reset Page"
does not help.

In summary, while I want to like it, the WAVE toolbar is not useful to
me as it stands.  Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see what it's
intended to accomplish that, say, Chris Pederick's "Web Developer"
toolbar does not.  (If the first issue were addressed, that might alter
my opinion.)
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WAVE toolbar for Firefox

Victor Tsaran
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
It really works great for what it does! Developers like because of the
iconic approach. :)
Vic

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> The extension is still marked experimental, which is a shame. They need
> reviewers to comment on the toolbar and whether it's working for them:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/6720
>
> - Aaron

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: WAVE toolbar for Firefox

jared-30
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
On Oct 2, 7:39 am, "Jesse Pelton" wrote:
> The WAVE folks need to make it possible for people to comment.

Thank you for you feedback on WAVE (http://wave.webaim.org/). I'll
look into the spam error message. Clearly our spam detection mechanism
is detecting something in what you wrote that it shouldn't have.

> First, while a message that says, "Uh oh, WAVE has detected [N]
> accessibility error[s]" is displayed when I check my pages for "Errors,
> Features, and Alerts," I can only find N-1 types of errors flagged by
> error icons on the page.  Especially problematic is the case where N=1:
> no error icons are displayed, so if WAVE really thinks there is an
> error, I can't establish what it is.

This is sometimes an issue on complex pages. As you must understand,
WAVE is very complex and because we inject icons into pages, sometimes
the icons are not always visible or apparent. Often 'missing' error
icons are actually on the page, but they are contained within elements
that have been hidden with CSS. You can view them by selecting the
Toggle Styles icon in the toolbar or Disable Styles in the server
version of WAVE. Additionally, the icon may be within a noscript
element, which naturally would not display unless scripting is
disabled.

> Second, running either the "Structure/Order" or "Text-only"
> transformation on a page seems to interfere with the operation of
> scripts until the page is reloaded.

Do you have a URL that demonstrates this? This isn't something we have
encountered before.

> In summary, while I want to like it, the WAVE toolbar is not useful to
> me as it stands.  Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see what it's
> intended to accomplish that, say, Chris Pederick's "Web Developer"
> toolbar does not.  (If the first issue were addressed, that might alter
> my opinion.)

I believe there is immense accessibility information that is presented
through WAVE that is not present in any other tool. WAVE is not
intended to tell you if you are accessible or not - it's purpose is to
facilitate human evaluation of web content. As such, it does require
some basic knowledge of accessibility to best utilize it. The injected
icons simply present accessibility information and details to the
evaluator for their consumption and evaluation. We do have a basic
article that describes WAVE functionality - http://webaim.org/resources/wave/

I appreciate the feedback and would welcome some additional details.
As Aaron mentioned, if you could kindly make comments on the AMO page
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6720), this will help
us move the tool out of the experimental category.

Jared Smith
WebAIM
_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Please help WAVE get out of the "sandbox" by giving it your vote of confidence [was Re: WAVE toolbar for Firefox]

Aaron Leventhal-3
In reply to this post by Aaron Leventhal-3
They still can't get out of the sandbox. They've been told that they
need some more community reviews.

All you have to do is go here to write your review:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6720

You will have to sign up for an account if you don't have one -- but
it's worth it! As a community we need to support each other.

And FWIW, I did it myself. The toolbar is really simple and helpful.

Thank you,
- Aaron

On 10/2/2008 9:28 AM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> The extension is still marked experimental, which is a shame. They need
> reviewers to comment on the toolbar and whether it's working for them:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/6720
>
> - Aaron

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Please help WAVE get out of the "sandbox" by giving it your vote of confidence [was Re: WAVE toolbar for Firefox]

David Bolter
Done.  Seems to me we should put a (google) group together around a11y
testing tools... to go farther faster together.

cheers,
D
Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> They still can't get out of the sandbox. They've been told that they
> need some more community reviews.
>
> All you have to do is go here to write your review:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6720
>
> You will have to sign up for an account if you don't have one -- but
> it's worth it! As a community we need to support each other.
>
> And FWIW, I did it myself. The toolbar is really simple and helpful.
>
> Thank you,
> - Aaron
>
> On 10/2/2008 9:28 AM, Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>  
>> Has anyone tried it?
>>
>> The extension is still marked experimental, which is a shame. They need
>> reviewers to comment on the toolbar and whether it's working for them:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/6720
>>
>> - Aaron
>>    
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-accessibility mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility
>  

_______________________________________________
dev-accessibility mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-accessibility