W4A Web Accessibility Challenge

Peter-206
Greetings All,

Charles and I entered our project in the W4A Web Accessibility
Challenge.  We created a demo video that shows Fire Vox and ReefChat
(Accessible Ajax Chat) in action and can be found here:
http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo/reefchat_demo.html

ChatZilla is similar to ReefChat in that both are chat applications
and they differ by ChatZilla being an IRC client and ReefChat being
basic Web 2.0 chat. ReefChat started out as a proof of concept that
became a barebones chat with plans of eventually becoming a Dojo
widget, using the jabber protocol, and having all the features of a
full chat App.

We'll keep you updated as a both projects progress.
-peter

Re: W4A Web Accessibility Challenge

Charles Chen-2
Also, for anyone allergic to flash, there is a much larger AVI version at:
http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo.avi

-Charles

> Greetings All,
>
> Charles and I entered our project in the W4A Web Accessibility
> Challenge.  We created a demo video that shows Fire Vox and ReefChat
> (Accessible Ajax Chat) in action and can be found here:
> http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo/reefchat_demo.html
>
> ChatZilla is similar to ReefChat in that both are chat applications
> and they differ by ChatZilla being an IRC client and ReefChat being
> basic Web 2.0 chat. ReefChat started out as a proof of concept that
> became a barebones chat with plans of eventually becoming a Dojo
> widget, using the jabber protocol, and having all the features of a
> full chat App.
>
> We'll keep you updated as a both projects progress.
> -peter

ReefChat: Accessible web chat with Firefox and Fire Vox [was Re: W4A Web Accessibility Challenge]

Aaron Leventhal-3
Changing the subject in case anyone misses what
this is about.

What was the URL to actually try it out for real?

- Aaron

Charles Chen wrote:

> Also, for anyone allergic to flash, there is a much larger AVI version at:
> http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo.avi
>
> -Charles
>
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> Charles and I entered our project in the W4A Web Accessibility
>> Challenge.  We created a demo video that shows Fire Vox and ReefChat
>> (Accessible Ajax Chat) in action and can be found here:
>> http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo/reefchat_demo.html
>>
>> ChatZilla is similar to ReefChat in that both are chat applications
>> and they differ by ChatZilla being an IRC client and ReefChat being
>> basic Web 2.0 chat. ReefChat started out as a proof of concept that
>> became a barebones chat with plans of eventually becoming a Dojo
>> widget, using the jabber protocol, and having all the features of a
>> full chat App.
>>
>> We'll keep you updated as a both projects progress.
>> -peter

Re: ReefChat: Accessible web chat with Firefox and Fire Vox [was Re: W4A Web Accessibility Challenge]

Peter-206
Sure, the URL to ReefChat is:

http://reefchat.overscore.com

To use the features in ReefChat (live regions, filtering, ...) FireVox
is required (modified version from which Charles Chen will hopefully
post a URL to here :) Just a note, I'm working on the focus problem
where the audio notification node (ping) takes focus on each new
message which is annoying if your keying through the chat message
log.

-peter

On Apr 28, 7:30 am, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Changing the subject in case anyone misses what
> this is about.
>
> What was the URL to actually try it out for real?
>
> - Aaron
>
> Charles Chen wrote:
> > Also, for anyone allergic to flash, there is a much larger AVI version at:
> >http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo.avi
>
> > -Charles
>
> >> Greetings All,
>
> >> Charles and I entered our project in the W4A Web Accessibility
> >> Challenge.  We created a demo video that shows Fire Vox and ReefChat
> >> (Accessible Ajax Chat) in action and can be found here:
> >>http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo/reefchat_demo.html
>
> >> ChatZilla is similar to ReefChat in that both are chat applications
> >> and they differ by ChatZilla being an IRC client and ReefChat being
> >> basic Web 2.0 chat. ReefChat started out as a proof of concept that
> >> became a barebones chat with plans of eventually becoming a Dojo
> >> widget, using the jabber protocol, and having all the features of a
> >> full chat App.
>
> >> We'll keep you updated as a both projects progress.
> >> -peter

Re: ReefChat: Accessible web chat with Firefox and Fire Vox [was Re: W4A Web Accessibility Challenge]

Charles Chen-2
The new Fire Vox will handle it. Please get the update at
http://firevox.clcworld.net

Direct link:
http://firevox.clcworld.net/clc-4-tts_bundle_v3.1_release.xpi

Also, the controls for exploring the ChatZilla transcript window work in
ReefChat as well.
Pressing Ctrl + Shift + Up/Down will cause Fire Vox to read the
previous/next message in the chat window; pressing Ctrl + Shift +
Left/Right will cause Fire Vox to read the previous/next message that is
from the same username as the current message.

-Charles

> Sure, the URL to ReefChat is:
>
> http://reefchat.overscore.com
>
> To use the features in ReefChat (live regions, filtering, ...) FireVox
> is required (modified version from which Charles Chen will hopefully
> post a URL to here :) Just a note, I'm working on the focus problem
> where the audio notification node (ping) takes focus on each new
> message which is annoying if your keying through the chat message
> log.
>
> -peter
>

> On Apr 28, 7:30 am, Aaron Leventhal <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>Changing the subject in case anyone misses what
>>this is about.
>>
>>What was the URL to actually try it out for real?
>>
>>- Aaron
>>
>>Charles Chen wrote:
>>
>>>Also, for anyone allergic to flash, there is a much larger AVI version at:
>>>http://clcworld.net/reefchat_demo.avi
>>
>>>-Charles

chatting at ReefChat (it's lonely there)

Gregory J. Rosmaita
can we set up some informal gathering times at ReefChat (and elsewhere
using Chatzilla) so that those of us who are using FireVox and have
downloaded charles' latest build?

just windows of opportunity, for people to meet at ReefChat to test
out the new build and compare ReefChat to Chatzilla?

gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, [hidden email]

[was Re: W4A Web Accessibility Challenge]

> The new Fire Vox will handle it. Please get the update at
> http://firevox.clcworld.net
>
> Direct link:
> http://firevox.clcworld.net/clc-4-tts_bundle_v3.1_release.xpi
>
> Also, the controls for exploring the ChatZilla transcript
> window work in ReefChat as well. Pressing Ctrl + Shift +
> Up/Down will cause Fire Vox to read the previous/next
> message in the chat window; pressing Ctrl + Shift +
> Left/Right will cause Fire Vox to read the previous/next
> message that is from the same username as the current message.
>
> -Charles

Re: AT participation in HTML WG

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha!

although i'm not a developer of TV Raman's stripe (who is?) i am a
regular FireVox user who, as a member of the Web Accessibility
Initiative since 1997, was invited to become a member of the HTML WG.

as a member of WAI, i have been tracking the WhatWG work, the XHTML2
WG (which seems to have vanished off the face of the earth), XForms,
and a host of other pertinent technical recommendations to ensure
that they will not undo the progress made with the introduction of
HTML4x, but will enhance the progress made with HTML4, due to the
lessons learnt since 1998.

it is my purpose not only to materially contribute to the canonical
HTML spec, but to ensure that its dependencies include AND take
congnizance of all of the work that the WAI has done in its ten
(formal) years of existence.  this is particularly important, in that
one of the focuses of the debate going on within the HTML WG is user
agent support and authoring tool support -- topics upon which the WAI
has produced technical recommendations:

ATAG (Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines):
1. http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG
2. current work: http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/

UAAG (User Agent Accessibility Guidelines
1. http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG
2. current work: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA

XAG (XML Accessibility Guidelines):
1. http://www.w3.org/TR/xag
2. current work: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/XML

and, of course, the work on the WAI ARIA suite, of which this list
has heard a lot...

i join benjamin in calling for AT developers to join, or at least
monitor, the work of the HTML WG -- you don't need to be a member of
the working group to contribute to its discussions via its mailing
list: [hidden email] -- and you certainly don't need to be a
member to review posts to public-html in a publically available
archive:

http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-html

BRAIN, n.  An apparatus with which we think we think.
              -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

W3C XHTML2 Working Group Rechartered [was: Re: AT participation in HTML WG]

Gregory J. Rosmaita
aloha, again!

it is worthy to note -- especially given my glum assessment of the
state of XHTML2 -- that the W3C has rechartered the XHTML2 Working
Group, effective 7 march 2007

the main page for the XHTML2 activity is:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

the charter for the XHTML2 working group can be found at:

http://www.w3.org/2007/03/XHTML2-WG-charter

instructions on how to join -- actually, request permission to
join:

http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/32107/instructions

gregory.
"Half of expertise is tease."      -- Harry Shearer

On Apr 27, 4:20 pm, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings All,
Greetings,

that sounds great, I'm currently at the W4A (www.w4a.info) conference
with Charles. How would this coming Monday afternoon May 14, 2pm
(easter pacific) sound?

-peter