W4A Ajax Live Regions Paper

Peter-206
Greetings,

Charles Chen and I presented our paper on Ajax Live Regions at the W4A
2007 conference. A special thanks to the Mozilla Foundation for
funding our research. Below is a link to the Ajax Live regions paper
followed by the Abstract as well as a shorter, summarized version of
our paper for the W4A accessibility challenge. The papers discus ARIA
live regions and show a practical example of   an Ajax chat, ReefChat
(http://reefchat.overscore.com), exposing DOM updates using Live
Regions to a screen reader, Fire Vox (http://
www.firevox.clcworld.net).

Ajax Live Regions: Chat as a Case Example
http://www.w4a.info/2007/prog/1-thiessen.pdf

Abstract
Web 2.0 enabled by the Ajax architecture has given rise to a new level
of user interactivity through web browsers. Many new and extremely
popular Web applications have been introduced such as Google Maps,
Google Docs, Flickr, and so on. Ajax Toolkits such as Dojo allow web
developers to build Web 2.0 applications quickly and with little
effort. Unfortunately, the accessibility support in most toolkits and
Ajax applications overall is lacking. WAI-ARIA markup for live regions
presents a solution to making these applications accessible. A chat
example is presented that shows the live regions in action and
demonstrates several limitations of ARIA live regions.

Ajax Live Regions: ReefChat Using the Fire Vox Screen
Reader as a Case Example
http://www.w4a.info/2007/prog/wa-5-thiessen.pdf

Abstract
Web 2.0 enabled by the Ajax architecture has given rise to a new level
of user interactivity through web browsers. Many new and extremely
popular Web applications have been introduced such as Google Maps,
Google Docs, Flickr, and so on. Ajax Toolkits such as Dojo allow web
developers to build Web 2.0 applications quickly and with little
effort. Unfortunately, the accessibility support in most toolkits and
Ajax applications overall is lacking. WAI-ARIA markup for live regions
presents a solution to making these applications accessible.
To address this problem we developed an Accessible Ajax chat
application called ReefChat and the Fire Vox screen reader. Features
include, chat message notification through live regions to notify the
AT. As well as keying up and down messages to navigate through chat
messages, and keying left and right to filter messages from specific
users. In this paper after briefly discussing the problem of Web 2.0,
we describe our accessible chat application and screen reader.