VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Re: OT: Spectrum/Charter 100Mbps Update

The Real Bev
On 07/14/2018 11:16 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 07/13/2018 11:12 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
>> 7/13/2018 3:29 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>>> 7/12/2018 11:18 PM:

>>> I neglected to mention that I had to call in, (833) 267-6094, and
>>> request the upgrade. The representative was able to make the change
>>> while I was on the phone and I was told that it would take 24 hrs before
>>>  it would take effect. That was 32 hrs ago.
>
> My number is 855-757-7328.  Last time I called I talked to someone in
> Texas.  I remember once talking to a nice guy in the Philippines...
>
> Have you tried using the Charter/Spectrum free hotspot wifi calling?
> Not a lot of hotspots, but when you get one it works.  Nuisance to have
> to log in each time, though.
>
>> Update: After not getting the promised 100Mbps today, I called again and
>> got a different representative who indicated that the previous
>> representative hadn't configured the change correctly AND that it should
>> have updated while we were on the phone and not take 24 hrs. He set it
>> up again and after waiting a bit (45-60 secs), it came back online* but
>> still only registered the 60+Mbps rate. The rep re-looked at his changes
>> and said that there was another setting that need twiddling and
>> afterward, I got the full 100Mbps download rate with a 5.6Mbps upload rate.
>
> "Estimated wait time is less than 10 minutes..." We'll see.

Tech support transferred me to sales, who spent 10 minutes telling me
why they couldn't do what I wanted and pushing bundled stuff for
$30/each.  I asked what I could get if I canceled for 3 months and came
in as a new customer.  Ambiguous/noncommittal answer.  So I finally said
"So you're telling me that I'm just screwed because of where I live,
right?"
"I didn't say that.."
"So I guess you've done everything for me that you can, right?"
"Wait a minute, let me transfer you to tech support and see if we can
reprovision your modem at no additional charge<click>"

When the blinkylights stopped flashing the speed test yielded 94.24 and
11.42.  YAY!

For a moment I was really pissed, thinking that she had disconnected me.
  Fortunately I was wrong!

T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U  ! ! ! ! !

>> * Make sure you don't use your VOIP phone when calling since, after they
>> fiddle with the knurled knobs, massive knife switches and vacuous vacuum
>> tubes, your internet connection is dropped for a period of time while
>> the system resets.

Oops.  Maybe 3 minutes :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
     Will give investment advice for food.

Re: OT: Spectrum/Charter 100Mbps Update

Sailfish-4
7/14/2018 11:16 AM:
> On 07/13/2018 11:12 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
>
> Have you tried using the Charter/Spectrum free hotspot wifi calling? Not
> a lot of hotspots, but when you get one it works.  Nuisance to have to
> log in each time, though.

I haven't. That was a nice feature about ATT at supporting hotels on
road trips but their data rate still sucked and was always sketchy.

>> * Make sure you don't use your VOIP phone when calling since, after they
>> fiddle with the knurled knobs, massive knife switches and vacuous vacuum
>> tubes, your internet connection is dropped for a period of time while
>> the system resets.
>
> Like I have another choice that doesn't cost 20 cents/minute!  I'll just
> keep nagging them.

Both times I called while using VOIP the rep hung on until after the
system reset and I was surprised to still be connected.

--
Sailfish

Re: OT: Spectrum/Charter 100Mbps Update

Sailfish-4
7/14/2018 11:58 AM:
> On 07/14/2018 11:16 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 07/13/2018 11:12 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on

>>> Update: After not getting the promised 100Mbps today, I called again and
>>> got a different representative who indicated that the previous
>>> representative hadn't configured the change correctly AND that it should
>>> have updated while we were on the phone and not take 24 hrs. He set it
>>> up again and after waiting a bit (45-60 secs), it came back online* but
>>> still only registered the 60+Mbps rate. The rep re-looked at his changes
>>> and said that there was another setting that need twiddling and
>>> afterward, I got the full 100Mbps download rate with a 5.6Mbps upload
>>> rate.
>>
>> "Estimated wait time is less than 10 minutes..." We'll see.
>
> Tech support transferred me to sales, who spent 10 minutes telling me
> why they couldn't do what I wanted and pushing bundled stuff for
> $30/each.  I asked what I could get if I canceled for 3 months and came
> in as a new customer.  Ambiguous/noncommittal answer.  So I finally said
> "So you're telling me that I'm just screwed because of where I live,
> right?"
> "I didn't say that.."
> "So I guess you've done everything for me that you can, right?"
> "Wait a minute, let me transfer you to tech support and see if we can
> reprovision your modem at no additional charge<click>"

Gotta know something no good is about to be sprung on you when you get
connect to Sales :-)

> When the blinkylights stopped flashing the speed test yielded 94.24 and
> 11.42.  YAY!
>
> For a moment I was really pissed, thinking that she had disconnected me.
>  Fortunately I was wrong!
>
> T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U  ! ! ! ! !

Good to hear. The thing is, I never watch much video so even 60Mbps was
overkill for my needs but, hey, when they dangle a free 100Mbps carrot
out in front of me, I'm going to take it.

--
Sailfish

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/14/2018
2:45 AM:

> Grant Taylor wrote on 14/07/2018 3:29 PM:
>> On 07/13/2018 12:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> Yeap, self-hosted,
>>
>> Voice over IP is relatively easy to self host.
>>
>> I don't know about Video over IP.  I feel sure there are ways to do
>> it, but I'm ignorant of them.
>>
>> I'd look at the various Voice over IP (soft) PBX solutions and see if
>>  any of them also support video.  Short of that I'd look at things
>> like VLC.
>>
> That's my "thing for the Day"!! I just assumed that VoIP was Video (and
> Voice) over Internet Protocol. I hadn't considered that it might just be
> Voice over Internet Protocol!!

You should already have Video Over the Internet, yes?

--
Sailfish

On 07/14/2018 06:08 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 7/14/2018 11:58 AM:

>>> "Estimated wait time is less than 10 minutes..." We'll see.
>>
>> Tech support transferred me to sales, who spent 10 minutes telling me
>> why they couldn't do what I wanted and pushing bundled stuff for
>> $30/each.  I asked what I could get if I canceled for 3 months and came
>> in as a new customer.  Ambiguous/noncommittal answer.  So I finally said
>> "So you're telling me that I'm just screwed because of where I live,
>> right?"
>> "I didn't say that.."
>> "So I guess you've done everything for me that you can, right?"
>> "Wait a minute, let me transfer you to tech support and see if we can
>> reprovision your modem at no additional charge<click>"
>>
> Gotta know something no good is about to be sprung on you when you get
> connect to Sales :-)

I've had 'adjustments' made by tech support, billing, and now sales.
Maybe they're all the same department.

>> When the blinkylights stopped flashing the speed test yielded 94.24 and
>> 11.42.  YAY!
>>
>> For a moment I was really pissed, thinking that she had disconnected me.
>>  Fortunately I was wrong!
>>
>> T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U   T H A N K   Y O U  ! ! ! ! !
>
> Good to hear. The thing is, I never watch much video so even 60Mbps was
> overkill for my needs but, hey, when they dangle a free 100Mbps carrot
> out in front of me, I'm going to take it.

They doubled the upload speed, so that's another good.  I don't notice
any functional difference yet.  Maybe I should stream a movie...

--
Cheers, Bev
    Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Daniel-2
Sailfish wrote on 15/07/2018 11:09 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/14/2018
> 2:45 AM:
>> Grant Taylor wrote on 14/07/2018 3:29 PM:
>>>
>>> Voice over IP is relatively easy to self host.
>>>
>>> I don't know about Video over IP.  I feel sure there are ways to do
>>> it, but I'm ignorant of them.
>>>
>>> I'd look at the various Voice over IP (soft) PBX solutions and see if
>>>  any of them also support video.  Short of that I'd look at things
>>> like VLC.
>>>
>> That's my "thing for the Day"!! I just assumed that VoIP was Video
>> (and Voice) over Internet Protocol. I hadn't considered that it might
>> just be Voice over Internet Protocol!!
>>
> You should already have Video Over the Internet, yes?

As in watching videos from Youtube, etc, Yes, but as in 'phoning my
sister using the Laptop's built-in Camera and  Mic, No .... not yet!! ;-)

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/15/2018
2:48 AM:
> Sailfish wrote on 15/07/2018 11:09 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
>> 7/14/2018 2:45 AM:

>> You should already have Video Over the Internet, yes?
>>
> As in watching videos from Youtube, etc, Yes, but as in 'phoning my
> sister using the Laptop's built-in Camera and  Mic, No .... not yet!! ;-)

Hmm, just to be sure, VOIP still isn't needed, nor used, for that. You
can use one of the programs already mentioned in this thread, e.g.,
Skype. Mostly, what VOIP affords is being able to make regular telco
phone calls free over a large area (minus some nominal regulatory fees).
For example, my VOIP box (ooma) basic package covers the entire US for
less that $5USD/mo, more at:
https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/

The thing is, Australia telco regulation may be such that you'd need to
go through a subscription service provider but, still, it should be less
expensive than landline calling.

Sailfish wrote on 16/07/2018 1:22 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
> 7/15/2018 2:48 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote on 15/07/2018 11:09 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
>>> 7/14/2018 2:45 AM:
>
>>> You should already have Video Over the Internet, yes?
>>>
>> As in watching videos from Youtube, etc, Yes, but as in 'phoning my
>>  sister using the Laptop's built-in Camera and  Mic, No .... not
>> yet!! ;-)
>>
> Hmm, just to be sure, VOIP still isn't needed, nor used, for that.
> You can use one of the programs already mentioned in this thread,
> e.g., Skype. Mostly, what VOIP affords is being able to make regular
> telco phone calls free over a large area (minus some nominal
> regulatory fees). For example, my VOIP box (ooma) basic package
> covers the entire US for less that $5USD/mo, more at:
> https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/
>
> The thing is, Australia telco regulation may be such that you'd need
> to go through a subscription service provider but, still, it should
> be less expensive than landline calling.

O.K., so it would seem I *MUST* use a program such as Skype, it's not
just a matter of switching on my Camera and Mic and sending that Data
where I want!

Thanks!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/16/2018
1:46 AM:

> Sailfish wrote on 16/07/2018 1:22 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on

>>> As in watching videos from Youtube, etc, Yes, but as in 'phoning my
>>>  sister using the Laptop's built-in Camera and  Mic, No .... not
>>> yet!! ;-)
>>>
>> Hmm, just to be sure, VOIP still isn't needed, nor used, for that.
>> You can use one of the programs already mentioned in this thread,
>> e.g., Skype. Mostly, what VOIP affords is being able to make regular
>> telco phone calls free over a large area (minus some nominal
>> regulatory fees). For example, my VOIP box (ooma) basic package
>> covers the entire US for less that $5USD/mo, more at:
>> https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/
>>
>> The thing is, Australia telco regulation may be such that you'd need
>> to go through a subscription service provider but, still, it should
>> be less expensive than landline calling.
>>
> O.K., so it would seem I *MUST* use a program such as Skype, it's not
> just a matter of switching on my Camera and Mic and sending that Data
> where I want!

While I've not used it, Firefox supports WebRTC which suggests that it
may handle the task but I cannot say for sure, see
https://thesafety.us/what-is-webrtc

Good Luck!

Sailfish wrote on 17/07/2018 3:36 PM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/16/2018
> 1:46 AM:
>> Sailfish wrote on 16/07/2018 1:22 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
>>> 7/15/2018 2:48 AM:

>>> Hmm, just to be sure, VOIP still isn't needed, nor used, for that.
>>> You can use one of the programs already mentioned in this thread,
>>> e.g., Skype. Mostly, what VOIP affords is being able to make regular
>>> telco phone calls free over a large area (minus some nominal
>>> regulatory fees). For example, my VOIP box (ooma) basic package
>>> covers the entire US for less that $5USD/mo, more at:
>>> https://www.ooma.com/telo/home-phone-service/
>>>
>>> The thing is, Australia telco regulation may be such that you'd need
>>> to go through a subscription service provider but, still, it should
>>> be less expensive than landline calling.
>>>
>> O.K., so it would seem I *MUST* use a program such as Skype, it's not
>> just a matter of switching on my Camera and Mic and sending that Data
>> where I want!
>>
> While I've not used it, Firefox supports WebRTC which suggests that it
> may handle the task but I cannot say for sure, see
> https://thesafety.us/what-is-webrtc
>
> Good Luck!

Hmm!! So, reading that page, WebRTC seems to be what I had thought VoIP
was, i.e. I enter a distant IP address, and my Computer would try to
contact that address, sort of like contacting a normal Web address, but
feeding my Video/Audio to that IP address.

It seems like, in the olden/golden days (or so I'm led to believe), we
would 'phone a telephone exchange and they would connect us to the
required number. This seems, sort of, like what Skype does. Whereas
now-a-days, we 'phone a number and are automatically connected. This is
what, it seems, WebRTC would do!!