VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Daniel-2
Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??

I might be getting adventurous!!
--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

The Real Bev
On 07/10/2018 12:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
> can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??
>
> I might be getting adventurous!!

There's always Skype, but it doesn't seem very good even though everyone
uses it.

We just started doing that with google hangouts.  Not much setup.  I
think you need a google voice number (request one on your gmail page I
THINK!) and give it access to your contacts list.  Both ends must use
google hangouts, as far as I know.  It's pretty straightforward and
works pretty well.  The better resolution your camera has, the better
the experience will be.

It won't be as good as what you see other people using on TV, though :-(
  Or maybe our cameras just aren't good enough...

--
Cheers, Bev
      What if there were no hypothetical questions?

The Real Bev wrote on 11/07/2018 2:29 PM:

> On 07/10/2018 12:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If
>> so, can they give a web-site address that explains how to set
>> things up??
>>
>> I might be getting adventurous!!
>
> There's always Skype, but it doesn't seem very good even though
> everyone uses it.
>
> We just started doing that with google hangouts.  Not much setup.  I
>  think you need a google voice number (request one on your gmail page
> I THINK!) and give it access to your contacts list.  Both ends must
> use google hangouts, as far as I know.  It's pretty straightforward
> and works pretty well.  The better resolution your camera has, the
> better the experience will be.

Thanks, Bev. I was thinking Skype, myself and mentioned to my ISP that I
thought it had a bit of spy-ware in it, to which he replied along the
lines of "a bit of spy-ware ... It's much worse than that", so I was
hoping for other suggestions!

> It won't be as good as what you see other people using on TV, though
> :-( Or maybe our cameras just aren't good enough...

Gee, and I was hoping for it to be as good as shown on "The Big Bang
Theory"!! Shucks!! ;-P

On 07/10/2018 11:45 AM, Daniel wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote on 11/07/2018 2:29 PM:
>> On 07/10/2018 12:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If
>>> so, can they give a web-site address that explains how to set
>>> things up??
>>>
>>> I might be getting adventurous!!
>>
>> There's always Skype, but it doesn't seem very good even though
>> everyone uses it.
>>
>> We just started doing that with google hangouts.  Not much setup.  I
>>  think you need a google voice number (request one on your gmail page
>> I THINK!) and give it access to your contacts list.  Both ends must
>> use google hangouts, as far as I know.  It's pretty straightforward
>> and works pretty well.  The better resolution your camera has, the
>> better the experience will be.

We have separate cameras, both claiming to be 1080p.  The one that works
(linux, I made no efforts myself to implement the camera) is definitely
not 1080p and the other one doesn't work at all.  I was thinking of
buying another webcam, but they aren't cheap.

> Thanks, Bev. I was thinking Skype, myself and mentioned to my ISP that I
> thought it had a bit of spy-ware in it, to which he replied along the
> lines of "a bit of spy-ware ... It's much worse than that", so I was
> hoping for other suggestions!
>
>> It won't be as good as what you see other people using on TV, though
>> :-( Or maybe our cameras just aren't good enough...
>
> Gee, and I was hoping for it to be as good as shown on "The Big Bang
> Theory"!! Shucks!! ;-P

That's what I was expecting too.  Ha.

I assume that pretty much everything I do on the net is being watched or
saved by somebody.  The fact that most of those somebodies want to sell
me something based on my activities  gives me pleasure -- they're
wasting their resources!

--
Cheers, Bev
   "I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns and

The Real Bev wrote on 12/07/2018 2:29 AM:
> On 07/10/2018 11:45 AM, Daniel wrote:

<Snip>

>> Gee, and I was hoping for it to be as good as shown on "The Big
>> Bang Theory"!! Shucks!! ;-P
>
> That's what I was expecting too.  Ha.
>
> I assume that pretty much everything I do on the net is being watched
> or saved by somebody.  The fact that most of those somebodies want to
> sell me something based on my activities  gives me pleasure --
> they're wasting their resources!

Yeap!! I can give you that ... but, unfortunately, that also means they
are wasting my resources as well!! Ho!! Hum!!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
12:34 AM:
> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
> can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??
>
> I might be getting adventurous!!

My cable service offered a subscription VOIP but I've opted for the
one-time purchase of the ooma VOIP box (https://www.ooma.com/). Note:
I'm not sure whether it is available "down under - Where women glow and
men plunder"?

I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.

Installation was relatively simple, connect an Ethernet cable from the
box to an open router port and then connect a telco phone line from box
to you phone, then plug it in to a power outlet. The box sells for about
$100USD in the states.

Notes:

1. For cabling compactness, I located my portable phone base station and
ooma box together and close to the router.
2. By default, ooma gives you a new phone number but I was able to
transfer my old number to it for a nominal fee.
3. For power outage situations, I've also connected my modem, router,
ooma box and phone base station to a UPS box. That way, in case of an
emergency, I will still have phone service as long as the internet is
still up plus my cell phone.

According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.

--
Sailfish

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 07/10/2018 01:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
> can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??

Are you wanting self hosted or something that runs through a service.

I got the impression that you wanted self hosted when I originally read
your message.  Though the other replies seem to be related to services.

> I might be getting adventurous!!

That can be dangerous.  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
> 12:34 AM:
>> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
>> can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??
>>
>> I might be getting adventurous!!
>
> My cable service offered a subscription VOIP but I've opted for the
> one-time purchase of the ooma VOIP box (https://www.ooma.com/). Note:
> I'm not sure whether it is available "down under - Where women glow and
> men plunder"?
>
> I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
> between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
> was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
> me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
> years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.

We're also happy with Ooma, but talking to another VOIP person results
in delays and interruptions working wrong.  I read somewhere that
VOIP-to-VOIP was half-duplex, which is the problem.  Talking to not-VOIP
people is 'normal'.

> Installation was relatively simple, connect an Ethernet cable from the
> box to an open router port and then connect a telco phone line from box
> to you phone, then plug it in to a power outlet. The box sells for about
> $100USD in the states.
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. For cabling compactness, I located my portable phone base station and
> ooma box together and close to the router.
> 2. By default, ooma gives you a new phone number but I was able to
> transfer my old number to it for a nominal fee.
> 3. For power outage situations, I've also connected my modem, router,
> ooma box and phone base station to a UPS box. That way, in case of an
> emergency, I will still have phone service as long as the internet is
> still up plus my cell phone.
>
> According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.

We've saved $2411 since March 2013.

--
Cheers, Bev
   Of course SoCal has four seasons:

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
7/12/2018 2:26 PM:
> On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
>> 12:34 AM:

>> I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
>> between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
>> was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
>> me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
>> years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.
>
> We're also happy with Ooma, but talking to another VOIP person results
> in delays and interruptions working wrong.  I read somewhere that
> VOIP-to-VOIP was half-duplex, which is the problem.  Talking to not-VOIP
> people is 'normal'.

The only people who call me via VOIP are robo-callers (lots of them,
sadly) and I always call-block them, thus, preventing future irritation :-)

However, that's good to know about the simplex .vs duplex. That way I'll
know if I'm talking with a kindred spirit, of sorts.

>> According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.
>
> We've saved $2411 since March 2013.

Yep, in my case, that works out to be about $40/mo. savings which goes a
long way in mitigating the Charter $65/mo. sticker price.

btw, Charter/Spectrum recently added new equipment that bumps the
bandwidth from 60Mbps to 100Mbps and, so far, they haven't up'd the
price; although, their price bumps come in March so I'm not look forward
to the next bump.

--
Sailfish

On 07/12/2018 09:55 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 7/12/2018 2:26 PM:
>> On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on 7/10/2018
>>> 12:34 AM:
>
>>> I've had it since 2010 and while initially there would be a slight delay
>>> between each party discussion (a irritating problem which I suspected
>>> was my cable service's fault but could never prove, wanting to encourage
>>> me to use their subscription service.) However, over the past couple of
>>> years, that delay has, thankfully, been removed.
>>
>> We're also happy with Ooma, but talking to another VOIP person results
>> in delays and interruptions working wrong.  I read somewhere that
>> VOIP-to-VOIP was half-duplex, which is the problem.  Talking to not-VOIP
>> people is 'normal'.
>>
> The only people who call me via VOIP are robo-callers (lots of them,
> sadly) and I always call-block them, thus, preventing future irritation :-)
>
> However, that's good to know about the simplex .vs duplex. That way I'll
> know if I'm talking with a kindred spirit, of sorts.
>
>>> According to my ooma dashboard, I've saved over $3500 since installation.
>>
>> We've saved $2411 since March 2013.
>>
> Yep, in my case, that works out to be about $40/mo. savings which goes a
> long way in mitigating the Charter $65/mo. sticker price.
>
> btw, Charter/Spectrum recently added new equipment that bumps the
> bandwidth from 60Mbps to 100Mbps and, so far, they haven't up'd the
> price; although, their price bumps come in March so I'm not look forward
> to the next bump.

Speedtests show a max of 70, more commonly 68 or so.  Charter's own test
just now:  66.01 down, 5.9 up.  It's been that way for at least a year,
maybe more.

Add a Sentry 2 device and eliminates all robocalls and most
telemarketers.  Scream obscenities at and then blacklist the few
bastards that actually have the effrontery to claim that they're NOT
telemarketers.  $50 well spent.

--
Cheers, Bev
                   SAVE GAS, FART IN A JAR

The Real Bev wrote on 13/07/2018 7:26 AM:

> On 07/12/2018 06:57 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Daniel graced us with on
>> 7/10/2018 12:34 AM:
>>> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If
>>> so, can they give a web-site address that explains how to set
>>> things up??
>>>
>>> I might be getting adventurous!!
>>
>> My cable service offered a subscription VOIP but I've opted for
>> the one-time purchase of the ooma VOIP box (https://www.ooma.com/).
>> Note: I'm not sure whether it is available "down under - Where
>> women glow and men plunder"?

Gee!! I've got to get my hearing checked!! I always thought that line
was "Where women glow and men chunder!! i.e. throw their guts up after
drinking much too much!!

Grant Taylor wrote on 13/07/2018 3:20 AM:

> On 07/10/2018 01:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Does anyone here use VoIP computer to computer video-phoning?? If so,
>> can they give a web-site address that explains how to set things up??
>
> Are you wanting self hosted or something that runs through a service.
>
> I got the impression that you wanted self hosted when I originally read
> your message.  Though the other replies seem to be related to services.
>
>> I might be getting adventurous!!
>
> That can be dangerous.  ;-)

Yeap, self-hosted, I think .... MY ISP Internet account allows 3GB/mth.
Most months I'm lucky to go over 1GB, so I was thinking I could make use
of the Laptops Camera, microphone and speakers (and Skype or some-such)
and make the occasional, short, 'phone call to family members when I had
d/l bytes available!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

PietB-2
Daniel wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> Sailfish wrote:
>>> My cable service offered a subscription VOIP but I've opted for
>>> the one-time purchase of the ooma VOIP box (https://www.ooma.com/).
>>> Note: I'm not sure whether it is available "down under - Where
>>> women glow and men plunder"?
>
> Gee!! I've got to get my hearing checked!! I always thought that line
> was "Where women glow and men chunder!! i.e. throw their guts up after
> drinking much too much!!

If your hearing cheats you, your vision might not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHXu86O01w

-p

Re: VoIP Computer to Computer connections!

Sailfish-4
7/12/2018 11:18 PM:
> On 07/12/2018 09:55 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> 7/12/2018 2:26 PM:

>> btw, Charter/Spectrum recently added new equipment that bumps the
>> bandwidth from 60Mbps to 100Mbps and, so far, they haven't up'd the
>> price; although, their price bumps come in March so I'm not look forward
>> to the next bump.
>
> Speedtests show a max of 70, more commonly 68 or so.  Charter's own test
> just now:  66.01 down, 5.9 up.  It's been that way for at least a year,
> maybe more.

I neglected to mention that I had to call in, (833) 267-6094, and
request the upgrade. The representative was able to make the change
while I was on the phone and I was told that it would take 24 hrs before
  it would take effect. That was 32 hrs ago.

--
Sailfish

PietB wrote on 13/07/2018 5:14 PM:

> Daniel wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Gee!! I've got to get my hearing checked!! I always thought that line
>> was "Where women glow and men chunder!! i.e. throw their guts up after
>> drinking much too much!!
>
> If your hearing cheats you, your vision might not:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jHXu86O01w
>
> -p

Ah!! So I remember one (at 1:22 of the video) out of three!! Must mean
I'm more familiar with "Chundering"!! ;-P

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

OT: Spectrum/Charter 100Mbps Update

Sailfish-4
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
7/13/2018 3:29 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 7/12/2018 11:18 PM:
>> On 07/12/2018 09:55 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>>> 7/12/2018 2:26 PM:
>
>>> btw, Charter/Spectrum recently added new equipment that bumps the
>>> bandwidth from 60Mbps to 100Mbps and, so far, they haven't up'd the
>>> price; although, their price bumps come in March so I'm not look forward
>>> to the next bump.
>>
>> Speedtests show a max of 70, more commonly 68 or so.  Charter's own
>> test just now:  66.01 down, 5.9 up.  It's been that way for at least a
>> year, maybe more.
>>
> I neglected to mention that I had to call in, (833) 267-6094, and
> request the upgrade. The representative was able to make the change
> while I was on the phone and I was told that it would take 24 hrs before
>  it would take effect. That was 32 hrs ago.

Update: After not getting the promised 100Mbps today, I called again and
got a different representative who indicated that the previous
representative hadn't configured the change correctly AND that it should
have updated while we were on the phone and not take 24 hrs. He set it
up again and after waiting a bit (45-60 secs), it came back online* but
still only registered the 60+Mbps rate. The rep re-looked at his changes
and said that there was another setting that need twiddling and
afterward, I got the full 100Mbps download rate with a 5.6Mbps upload rate.

* Make sure you don't use your VOIP phone when calling since, after they
fiddle with the knurled knobs, massive knife switches and vacuous vacuum
tubes, your internet connection is dropped for a period of time while
the system resets.

Notes:

1. The rep confirmed that this new rate will not cost more than the
previous 60+Mbps since they plan to have all customers on the new rate.
Note: However, he didn't say whether there will be another price
increase come the Ides of March billing update.

2. They are also offering a 300Mbps rate option but that with cost an
addition $20/mo.

--
Sailfish

On 07/13/2018 12:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Yeap, self-hosted,

Voice over IP is relatively easy to self host.

I don't know about Video over IP.  I feel sure there are ways to do it,
but I'm ignorant of them.

I'd look at the various Voice over IP (soft) PBX solutions and see if
any of them also support video.  Short of that I'd look at things like VLC.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Grant Taylor wrote on 14/07/2018 3:29 PM:

> On 07/13/2018 12:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Yeap, self-hosted,
>
> Voice over IP is relatively easy to self host.
>
> I don't know about Video over IP.  I feel sure there are ways to do
> it, but I'm ignorant of them.
>
> I'd look at the various Voice over IP (soft) PBX solutions and see if
>  any of them also support video.  Short of that I'd look at things
> like VLC.

That's my "thing for the Day"!! I just assumed that VoIP was Video (and
Voice) over Internet Protocol. I hadn't considered that it might just be

On 07/13/2018 10:29 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 07/13/2018 12:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Yeap, self-hosted,
>
> Voice over IP is relatively easy to self host.
>
> I don't know about Video over IP.  I feel sure there are ways to do it,
> but I'm ignorant of them.

Hangouts is better than skype.

> I'd look at the various Voice over IP (soft) PBX solutions and see if
> any of them also support video.  Short of that I'd look at things like VLC.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Don't you just KNOW that there is more than one
    Sierra Club member who is absolutely sure that the
    dinosaurs died out because of something humans did?

Re: OT: Spectrum/Charter 100Mbps Update

The Real Bev
On 07/13/2018 11:12 AM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on
> 7/13/2018 3:29 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on

>>> Speedtests show a max of 70, more commonly 68 or so.  Charter's own
>>> test just now:  66.01 down, 5.9 up.  It's been that way for at least a
>>> year, maybe more.
>>>
>> I neglected to mention that I had to call in, (833) 267-6094, and
>> request the upgrade. The representative was able to make the change
>> while I was on the phone and I was told that it would take 24 hrs before
>>  it would take effect. That was 32 hrs ago.

My number is 855-757-7328.  Last time I called I talked to someone in
Texas.  I remember once talking to a nice guy in the Philippines...

Have you tried using the Charter/Spectrum free hotspot wifi calling?
Not a lot of hotspots, but when you get one it works.  Nuisance to have
to log in each time, though.

> Update: After not getting the promised 100Mbps today, I called again and
> got a different representative who indicated that the previous
> representative hadn't configured the change correctly AND that it should
> have updated while we were on the phone and not take 24 hrs. He set it
> up again and after waiting a bit (45-60 secs), it came back online* but
> still only registered the 60+Mbps rate. The rep re-looked at his changes
> and said that there was another setting that need twiddling and
> afterward, I got the full 100Mbps download rate with a 5.6Mbps upload rate.

"Estimated wait time is less than 10 minutes..." We'll see.

> * Make sure you don't use your VOIP phone when calling since, after they
> fiddle with the knurled knobs, massive knife switches and vacuous vacuum
> tubes, your internet connection is dropped for a period of time while
> the system resets.

Like I have another choice that doesn't cost 20 cents/minute!  I'll just
keep nagging them.