Viewing Only Your Posts

Possum-3
Hi

In Outlook Express you can see your own Post by clicking CTRL + H
    Is there a way to do this n the Thunderbird News groups..

Also there are lots of Newsgroups here. Was this Question appropriate
for this forum

Cheers Possum..

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Possum wrote:
> Also there are lots of Newsgroups here. Was this Question appropriate
> for this forum

try: mozilla.support.thunderbird

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org newsgroup servers, where you
may get banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

goodwin-4
On 4/25/2008 10:14 PM Possum scribbled:

> Hi
>
> In Outlook Express you can see your own Post by clicking CTRL + H
>     Is there a way to do this n the Thunderbird News groups.

I really don't know but don't think so.  Why would you have a need to do
so? You could sort messages by sender and see all your posts at once...

> Also there are lots of Newsgroups here. Was this Question appropriate
> for this forum

I'd say its sorta OK for here but, as the hippos already said to the
possum, the Thunderbird group would be more spot on...

> Cheers Possum..

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Daniel-257
goodwin wrote:
> On 4/25/2008 10:14 PM Possum scribbled:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> In Outlook Express you can see your own Post by clicking CTRL + H
>>     Is there a way to do this n the Thunderbird News groups.
>
> I really don't know but don't think so.  Why would you have a need to do
> so? You could sort messages by sender and see all your posts at once...

or have a look in your Sent folder, if that's where you have your
outgoing messages go!

Daniel

>> Also there are lots of Newsgroups here. Was this Question appropriate
>> for this forum
>
> I'd say its sorta OK for here but, as the hippos already said to the
> possum, the Thunderbird group would be more spot on...
>>

>> Cheers Possum..

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

goodwin-4
On 4/27/2008 2:42 AM squaredancer scribbled:

<snip>

> The OP wants the NG posts - and they are stored in:
> Local Folders>>Sent
>
> all of them!
>
> reg

reg, mine aren't - they are stored in local folders maybe by default,
but that can be changed easily under account settings.

don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/27/2008 6:40 AM, and on a whim, goodwin pounded
out on the keyboard:

> On 4/27/2008 2:42 AM squaredancer scribbled:
>
> <snip>
>

>> The OP wants the NG posts - and they are stored in:
>> Local Folders>>Sent
>>
>> all of them!
>>
>> reg
>
> reg, mine aren't - they are stored in local folders maybe by default,
> but that can be changed easily under account settings.
>
> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...

Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
don't list them every time?

don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...

--
Terry R.

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

goodwin-4
On 4/27/2008 7:47 AM Terry R. scribbled:

<snip>

> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
> don't list them every time?
>
> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...

First thing I do when setting up new account is lose the local folders.
You mean everyone doesn't do this?
sorry...

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Daniel-257
squaredancer wrote:

> On 27.04.2008 11:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/25/2008 10:14 PM Possum scribbled:

>>> I really don't know but don't think so.  Why would you have a need to do
>>> so? You could sort messages by sender and see all your posts at once...
>>>

>> or have a look in your Sent folder, if that's where you have your
>> outgoing messages go!
>>
>> Daniel

>>> I'd say its sorta OK for here but, as the hippos already said to the
>>> possum, the Thunderbird group would be more spot on...

> good catch, Daniel but not quite "complete"
>
> The OP wants the NG posts - and they are stored in:
> Local Folders>>Sent
>
> all of them!
>
> reg

Good catch, reg, but "if that's where you have your outgoing messages
go!" I have my outgoing messages for this server going to my
2008_Net_Moz_SM folder under my normal mail server!

Daniel

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Daniel-257
goodwin wrote:

> On 4/27/2008 7:47 AM Terry R. scribbled:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
>> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
>> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
>> don't list them every time?
>>
>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>>

> First thing I do when setting up new account is lose the local folders.
> You mean everyone doesn't do this?
> sorry...

Not me! I use my Local Folders to archive all my mail, by year and
grouping (family, work, church, etc., etc..).

Daniel

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Ed Mullen
Terry R. wrote:

> The date and time was 4/27/2008 6:40 AM, and on a whim, goodwin pounded
> out on the keyboard:
>
>> On 4/27/2008 2:42 AM squaredancer scribbled:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> The OP wants the NG posts - and they are stored in:
>>> Local Folders>>Sent
>>>
>>> all of them!
>>>
>>> reg
>>
>> reg, mine aren't - they are stored in local folders maybe by default,
>> but that can be changed easily under account settings.
>>
>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>
> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
> don't list them every time?
>
> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...

I don't remember when Local Folders came into being.  Whenever it was,
and IF it over-rode my existing profile, and I'm not at all sure it did,
I must have immediately changed it because any subsequent upgrade still
derives my preferences from my profile (much of which dates from
Netscape 4.x days or before).  And my preference is to NOT use Local
Folders.  I have never understood the concept and I don't want to.  I
HATE programs that screw around with MY disk layout.

Again, I don't remember the specifics at this point because it was years
ago.  But, it's not valid to assume anything about local folders being
the "default" except for some sub-set of users.  Which means, it's NOT a
default in any true sense of the word unless it may apply to a brand new
user.  I doubt most of us here fall into that category.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Terry R.
The date and time was 4/27/2008 5:59 PM, and on a whim, Ed Mullen
pounded out on the keyboard:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/27/2008 6:40 AM, and on a whim, goodwin pounded
>> out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> On 4/27/2008 2:42 AM squaredancer scribbled:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> reg, mine aren't - they are stored in local folders maybe by default,
>>> but that can be changed easily under account settings.
>>>
>>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
>> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
>> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
>> don't list them every time?
>>
>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>>

> I don't remember when Local Folders came into being.  Whenever it was,
> and IF it over-rode my existing profile, and I'm not at all sure it did,
> I must have immediately changed it because any subsequent upgrade still
> derives my preferences from my profile (much of which dates from
> Netscape 4.x days or before).  And my preference is to NOT use Local
> Folders.  I have never understood the concept and I don't want to.  I
> HATE programs that screw around with MY disk layout.
>
> Again, I don't remember the specifics at this point because it was years
> ago.  But, it's not valid to assume anything about local folders being
> the "default" except for some sub-set of users.  Which means, it's NOT a
> default in any true sense of the word unless it may apply to a brand new
> user.  I doubt most of us here fall into that category.

If someone seeking assistance doesn't provide their full info (which
hardly anyone does), there isn't any way of ever knowing what a user may
have changed.  I have never configured Local folders either (since my
original profile dates back to NS 4.xx), but quite a few accounts still
write to it by "default". Like Reg stated, news accounts by "default"
will write to Local Folders, and since they are added continually, most
likely they would wind up in LF.

I don't see any purpose in LF either. It's not like it's a different
kind of folder than any other.  It's still just a file holding
everything, no better or worse than one created by the user.

Regardless, LF is the "default".  If a user changes it, it's only on a
case by case basis and I doubt the majority of users ever change it.
Possum is most likely a new user (no posts prior) and my response was
directed at someone assuming a new user would change the "default".

--
Terry R.

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

PhillipJones
goodwin wrote:

> On 4/27/2008 7:47 AM Terry R. scribbled:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
>> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
>> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
>> don't list them every time?
>>
>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>>

> First thing I do when setting up new account is lose the local folders.
> You mean everyone doesn't do this?
> sorry...
Best I can remember mozilla had Local folders setup so you could delete
them till the cows came home and the would re build themselves just like
cache files or the .msf files. The only way to permanently ditch them
was get your hands dirty chopping out of the application.

Have they since changed this. I know when I first stated using versions
of TB or Moz or SM that started using local folders they acted like
boomerangs. And was explained they were ingrained into the applications
  you could delete them but next time you opened up they were Back.

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

PhillipJones
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
>> The date and time was 4/27/2008 6:40 AM, and on a whim, goodwin
>> pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>>> On 4/27/2008 2:42 AM squaredancer scribbled:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> reg, mine aren't - they are stored in local folders maybe by default,
>>> but that can be changed easily under account settings.
>>>
>>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>>
>> Default settings are what all of us refer to in t-shooting.  How could
>> anyone know if the defaults were changed by a user?  Are you expecting
>> us to know what YOUR settings are (AND always remember them) if you
>> don't list them every time?
>>
>> don't tell us (TINU) you don't/didn't know this...
>>

> I don't remember when Local Folders came into being.  Whenever it was,
> and IF it over-rode my existing profile, and I'm not at all sure it did,
> I must have immediately changed it because any subsequent upgrade still
> derives my preferences from my profile (much of which dates from
> Netscape 4.x days or before).  And my preference is to NOT use Local
> Folders.  I have never understood the concept and I don't want to.  I
> HATE programs that screw around with MY disk layout.
>
> Again, I don't remember the specifics at this point because it was years
> ago.  But, it's not valid to assume anything about local folders being
> the "default" except for some sub-set of users.  Which means, it's NOT a
> default in any true sense of the word unless it may apply to a brand new
> user.  I doubt most of us here fall into that category.

The only thing for me that goes into local folders is Unsent messages.
I have an unsent message directory for each of my email boxes. But even
though they are their all unsent messages go to unsent in local folders
whether SM or TB.

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

goodwin-4
On 4/28/2008 8:31 AM Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T scribbled:

> goodwin wrote:
>>>
>> First thing I do when setting up new account is lose the local folders.
>> You mean everyone doesn't do this?
>> sorry...

> Best I can remember mozilla had Local folders setup so you could delete
> them till the cows came home and the would re build themselves just like
> cache files or the .msf files. The only way to permanently ditch them
> was get your hands dirty chopping out of the application.

No, I wasn't talking of deleting them - thats been hashed over around
here for years - can't really do it, as you seem to be aware.
I was only talking about setting copies and folders to my own folder.
And with all the interest in getting rid of Local Folders over the
years, I mistakenly thought nobody used them.

> Have they since changed this. I know when I first stated using versions
> of TB or Moz or SM that started using local folders they acted like
> boomerangs. And was explained they were ingrained into the applications
>   you could delete them but next time you opened up they were Back.

correct

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Daniel-257
squaredancer wrote:

> On 28.04.2008 01:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 27.04.2008 11:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> good catch, Daniel but not quite "complete"
>>>
>>> The OP wants the NG posts - and they are stored in:
>>> Local Folders>>Sent
>>>
>>> all of them!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Good catch, reg, but "if that's where you have your outgoing messages
>> go!" I have my outgoing messages for this server going to my
>> 2008_Net_Moz_SM folder under my normal mail server!
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> yeah, well - I don't have *THAT* folder on my HD - do you think I should
> create one ;-) :-\ ??
>
> reg

Yes, please! If enough of us create them, then I'll stick a request in
to bugzilla to make it standard. Will you support me, reg?

Daniel

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

Melchert Fruitema-2
On 29-04-2008 12:58 CET, squaredancer composed this enchanting statement:

> On 29.04.2008 02:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 28.04.2008 01:43, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Daniel to
>>> generate the following:? :

>>> yeah, well - I don't have *THAT* folder on my HD - do you think I
>>> should create one ;-) :-\ ??
>>>
>>> reg
>>>
>> Yes, please! If enough of us create them, then I'll stick a request
>> in to bugzilla to make it standard. Will you support me, reg?
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> yep!  add my name to the RFE when you submit it!
>
> reg

I'll be on the eh.. outlook for that to vote ... ;-)

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

goodwin-4
On 4/29/2008 7:48 AM Melchert Fruitema scribbled:

> I'll be on the eh.. outlook for that to vote ... ;-)

heh, guess you can't be on the Thunderbird for it...

'on the Thunderbird' - hmmm - maybe we can coin a new phrase here.
Certainly, some of /my/ posts look like I'm on the Thunderbird...

Re: Viewing Only Your Posts

PhillipJones
goodwin wrote:

> On 4/28/2008 8:31 AM Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T scribbled:
>
>> goodwin wrote:
>>> First thing I do when setting up new account is lose the local folders.
>>> You mean everyone doesn't do this?
>>> sorry...
>

>> Best I can remember mozilla had Local folders setup so you could delete
>> them till the cows came home and the would re build themselves just like
>> cache files or the .msf files. The only way to permanently ditch them
>> was get your hands dirty chopping out of the application.
>>

> No, I wasn't talking of deleting them - thats been hashed over around
> here for years - can't really do it, as you seem to be aware.
> I was only talking about setting copies and folders to my own folder.
> And with all the interest in getting rid of Local Folders over the
> years, I mistakenly thought nobody used them.
>
>> Have they since changed this. I know when I first stated using versions
>> of TB or Moz or SM that started using local folders they acted like
>> boomerangs. And was explained they were ingrained into the applications
>>   you could delete them but next time you opened up they were Back.
>>
> correct

I can set my newsgroups to be copied to a directory I created called
newsgroups and my emails can be copied to a directory I set up called
Sent Mail but when I tried to set up unsent message to go unsent
messages already setup on both my email accounts; all go to to unsent
message in local folders whether I want them to or not.

squaredancer wrote:
> it looks as if my keyboard is going down (have to
> re-type about 5 times to get the sentence complete)

oh crap, now its spreading.  I'm having problems with mine
now.  The first 4 keys on the number row won't work.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>> it looks as if my keyboard is going down (have to re-type about 5
>> times to get the sentence complete)
>
> oh crap, now its spreading.  I'm having problems with mine now.  The
> first 4 keys on the number row won't work.

I used a wireless keyboard for a while, but, even after swapping
batteries, it doesn't what to work! Now, for some reason, on the wired
keyboard, the "F" key is sitting lower than the rest, don't know why,
it's not as though I'm a real typist with my fingers resting on/over
those keys!

Must just be the time of year for keyboards to die!!

Daniel