Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
I manage a site for someone.  I uploaded a .mp4 video, about 500 Mb.

In Internet Explorer 11 the video streams fine.

In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."

In SeaMonkey 2.40 I get a small black box with a gray "X" in it.

In MS Edge I get "Invalid source."

In Google Chrome I get audio but no video.

Any thoughts?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Video streaming

WaltS48-3
On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
> corrupt."

I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.

I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.

Can you post the link?

Re: Video streaming

Hartmut Figge
WaltS48:

>On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>> corrupt."
>
>I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>
>I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>
>Can you post the link?

Never tried uploading a .mp4 before. Until now. I found a suitable one
in the source of SM. :)

www.triffids.de/pub/tmp/short.mp4

Works fine in my current SM-Trunk. Maybe it works for you also.

Hartmut

Re: Video streaming

WaltS48-3
On 05/23/2016 12:40 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> WaltS48:
>> On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>>> corrupt."
>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>
>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>
>> Can you post the link?
> Never tried uploading a .mp4 before. Until now. I found a suitable one
> in the source of SM. :)
>
> www.triffids.de/pub/tmp/short.mp4
>
> Works fine in my current SM-Trunk. Maybe it works for you also.
>
> Hartmut

.mp4 files play without any problems for me, except for the one I
renamed from videoname.mkv to videoname.mp4. when building my test site.

Re: Video streaming

Hartmut Figge
WaltS48:

>.mp4 files play without any problems for me, except for the one I
>renamed from videoname.mkv to videoname.mp4. when building my test site.

I cannot find a .mkv on my machine for testing, but you could try
wget -S --spider <url>
and see if the Content-Type is correct. For my example that gives

hafi@i5-64 ~ $ wget -S --spider http://www.triffids.de/pub/tmp/short.mp4
Spider mode enabled. Check if remote file exists.
--2016-05-23 18:54:25--  http://www.triffids.de/pub/tmp/short.mp4
Resolving www.triffids.de... 85.13.143.2
Connecting to www.triffids.de|85.13.143.2|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 16:54:25 GMT
  Server: Apache
  Last-Modified: Mon, 23 May 2016 16:35:31 GMT
  ETag: "1440942-3553-533850765041c"
  Accept-Ranges: bytes
Length: 13651 (13K) [video/mp4]
Remote file exists.

Hartmut

Re: Video streaming

Jim Fisher
On 23 May 2016 at 11:59, Ed Mullen wrote:

> I manage a site for someone.  I uploaded a .mp4 video, about 500 Mb.
>
> In Internet Explorer 11 the video streams fine.
>
> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."
>
> In SeaMonkey 2.40 I get a small black box with a gray "X" in it.
>
> In MS Edge I get "Invalid source."
>
> In Google Chrome I get audio but no video.
>
> Any thoughts?

I wonder if the answer is in any way connected to a problem I have with viewing
on-line videos. I mentioned here a few weeks ago a problem with viewing Tumblr
videos which went away following a FF update. A couple of weeks later, with no
changes to anything at my end, they stopped playing again, and have remained
that way through the latest updates to both FF and Flash (they appear from the
source code to be embeded Flash). I can't play them in Opera either. No problem
that I have found with Flash or HTML5 videos on other sites, such as Youtube.
Do other people have this problem with Tumblr? Any ideas?

Jim Fisher

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:

> On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>> corrupt."
>

> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>
> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>
> Can you post the link?

First link on this page:

<http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>

Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Video streaming

Hartmut Figge
Ed Mullen:

>First link on this page:
>
><http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>

On the Error Console of my SM-Trunk this gives

Timestamp: 23.05.2016 19:38:10
Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
Line: 712

Hartmut

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 1:40 PM, Hartmut Figge's fingers rattled off:

> Ed Mullen:
>
>> First link on this page:
>>
>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>
> On the Error Console of my SM-Trunk this gives
>
> Timestamp: 23.05.2016 19:38:10
> Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
> Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
> Line: 712
>
> Hartmut

On my SM 2.40 error console shows:

Timestamp: 5/23/2016 1:42:30 PM
Warning: Media resource
http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
decoded.
Source File: http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
Line: 0

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Video streaming

caver1-5
On 05/23/2016 01:34 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:
>> On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>>> corrupt."
>>

>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>
>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>
>> Can you post the link?
>>

> First link on this page:
>
> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>
> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
> window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.

Works fine here with FF38.8.0.

--
Caver1

Re: Video streaming

EE-2
Hartmut Figge wrote:

> Ed Mullen:
>
>> First link on this page:
>>
>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>
> On the Error Console of my SM-Trunk this gives
>
> Timestamp: 23.05.2016 19:38:10
> Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
> Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
> Line: 712
>
> Hartmut

What I get is: "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."
I was able to download it with DownThemAll.  It plays fine with QuickTime.

Re: Video streaming

The Real Bev
On 05/23/2016 09:40 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> WaltS48:
>>On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>>> corrupt."
>>
>>I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>>building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>
>>I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>
>>Can you post the link?
>
> Never tried uploading a .mp4 before. Until now. I found a suitable one
> in the source of SM. :)
>
> www.triffids.de/pub/tmp/short.mp4
>
> Works fine in my current SM-Trunk. Maybe it works for you also.

It worked in a popup when I clicked the link.  I have .mp4 set as
"always ask" in Thunderbird but it didn't, it loaded it into mplayer and
played it automatically.

--
Cheers, Bev

Re: Video streaming

WaltS48-3
On 05/23/2016 01:34 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:
>> On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>>> corrupt."
>>

>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>
>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>
>> Can you post the link?
>>

> First link on this page:
>
> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>
> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the
> WMP window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.

My error console is SeaMonkey gives me:

Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
Warning: Media resource
http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
decoded.
Source File: http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
Line: 0

and

Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
Line: 712

In Fx 47.0b7 I also get:

Media resource
http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
decoded. ahs_1965_reunion.mp4

Do you need? <video controls="" autoplay=""></video>.

Could that be the cause of the corruption?

Re: Video streaming

David E. Ross-3
On 5/23/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:
>> On 05/23/2016 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> In Firefox 47.0b7 I get "Video can't be played because the file is
>>> corrupt."
>>

>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>
>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>
>> Can you post the link?
>>

> First link on this page:
>
> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>
> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
> window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.

I downloaded the .mp4 file: right-click then Save Link Target As.  I was
able to play it -- both video and audio -- with VideoLan (VLC) from
<http://www.videolan.org/> by merely double-clicking on the .mp4 file.
Of course, I previously installed VLC.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?

Re: Video streaming

David E. Ross-3
On 5/23/2016 4:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 5/23/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>>

>>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>>
>>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>>
>>> Can you post the link?
>>>

>> First link on this page:
>>
>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>
>> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
>> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
>> window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.
>>

> I downloaded the .mp4 file: right-click then Save Link Target As.  I was
> able to play it -- both video and audio -- with VideoLan (VLC) from
> <http://www.videolan.org/> by merely double-clicking on the .mp4 file.
> Of course, I previously installed VLC.

However, merely clicking on the link in SeaMonkey 2.40 gives me the
"Video can't be played because the file is corrupt." message.  This
happens despite the fact that my Helper Applications have VLC as the
helper for .mp4 files.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 2:36 PM, EE's fingers rattled off:

> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Ed Mullen:
>>
>>> First link on this page:
>>>
>>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>
>> On the Error Console of my SM-Trunk this gives
>>
>> Timestamp: 23.05.2016 19:38:10
>> Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
>> Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
>> Line: 712
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
> What I get is: "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt."
> I was able to download it with DownThemAll.  It plays fine with QuickTime.

I made the file from a DVD.  the file plays fine locally and if I
download it and play it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 7:05 PM, David E. Ross's fingers rattled off:

> On 5/23/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>>

>>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>>
>>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>>
>>> Can you post the link?
>>>

>> First link on this page:
>>
>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>
>> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
>> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
>> window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.
>>

> I downloaded the .mp4 file: right-click then Save Link Target As.  I was
> able to play it -- both video and audio -- with VideoLan (VLC) from
> <http://www.videolan.org/> by merely double-clicking on the .mp4 file.
> Of course, I previously installed VLC.

Right.  The question is about what happens when you left click it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 5:28 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:

> On 05/23/2016 01:34 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>>

>>> I renamed a .mkv file to .mp4 the other day for a test site I was
>>> building, and got that same error message in Firefox 47.0b7.
>>>
>>> I didn't try the installed release or Nightly versions of Firefox.
>>>
>>> Can you post the link?
>>>

>> First link on this page:
>>
>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>
>> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
>> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the
>> WMP window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.
>>

> My error console is SeaMonkey gives me:
>
> Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
> Warning: Media resource
> http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
> decoded.
> Source File: http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
> Line: 0
>
> and
>
> Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
> Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
> Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
> Line: 712
>
> In Fx 47.0b7 I also get:
>
> Media resource
> http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
> decoded. ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
>
> Do you need? <video controls="" autoplay=""></video>.
>
> Could that be the cause of the corruption?

Good question.

So, is this a question of how the link is presnted?

The page has a simple link to the file.  Is there some formatting of the
link that I'm missing?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Re: Video streaming

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/23/2016 at 8:05 PM, David E. Ross's fingers rattled off:

> On 5/23/2016 4:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 5/23/2016 10:34 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:

>>> First link on this page:
>>>
>>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>>
>>> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
>>> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the WMP
>>> window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.
>>>

>> I downloaded the .mp4 file: right-click then Save Link Target As.  I was
>> able to play it -- both video and audio -- with VideoLan (VLC) from
>> <http://www.videolan.org/> by merely double-clicking on the .mp4 file.
>> Of course, I previously installed VLC.
>>

> However, merely clicking on the link in SeaMonkey 2.40 gives me the
> "Video can't be played because the file is corrupt." message.  This
> happens despite the fact that my Helper Applications have VLC as the
> helper for .mp4 files.

Right, and as others have said, if you download the file it will play
just fine.

On 05/23/2016 09:36 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/23/2016 at 5:28 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:
>> On 05/23/2016 01:34 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 5/23/2016 at 12:05 PM, WaltS48's fingers rattled off:

>>> First link on this page:
>>>
>>> <http://abington1965reunion.com/index.php>
>>>
>>> Update: I just realized that with IE it actually must have passed the
>>> URL to Windows Media Player. I closed the IE window just now and the
>>> WMP window remained. Never realized it was playing in WMP.
>>>

>> My error console is SeaMonkey gives me:
>>
>> Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
>> Warning: Media resource
>> http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
>> decoded.
>> Source File: http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
>> Line: 0
>>
>> and
>>
>> Timestamp: 05/23/2016 05:17:34 PM
>> Error: TypeError: this.controlListeners is undefined
>> Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/videocontrols.xml
>> Line: 712
>>
>> In Fx 47.0b7 I also get:
>>
>> Media resource
>> http://abington1965reunion.com/images/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4 could not be
>> decoded. ahs_1965_reunion.mp4
>>
>> Do you need? <video controls="" autoplay=""></video>.
>>
>> Could that be the cause of the corruption?
>>

> Good question.
>
> So, is this a question of how the link is presnted?
>
> The page has a simple link to the file.  Is there some formatting of
> the link that I'm missing?

I can't find any reference to use controls="" or autoplay="" in a video
element. It's <video src="" controls></video> or <video src=""
autoplay></video>

I downloaded the video, added the video to my test web page using <video
src="videos/ahs_1965_reunion.mp4" width="300" height="200"
controls></video>, used localhost/mysite to serve it from the web server
I have installed, and get the file is corrupt message in all of my
Firefox browsers, and SeaMonkey.

My Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and Brave browsers show the controls, and I
can play the audio, but no video appears.

My Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and Brave browsers show the controls, and I
can play the video I renamed from the .mkv file to a .mp4 file.

They also play a .mkv file, but Firefox won't.

I am totally stumped, cause we know Firefox plays HTML5 videos on
YouTube and other sites.