Video in FF 38.8.0 in eCS...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
I am running FF 38.8.0 with the dlls set up by ANPM. It seems to run OK,
but videos from YouTube and various news sources run very slowly and
jerk without any audio. I do not have Flash installed because it does
not work (crashes as soon as it starts). What do I need to have
installed and turned on, etc., in FF to see videos without Flash?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Video in FF 38.8.0 in eCS...?

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> I am running FF 38.8.0 with the dlls set up by ANPM. It seems to run OK,
> but videos from YouTube and various news sources run very slowly and
> jerk without any audio. I do not have Flash installed because it does
> not work (crashes as soon as it starts). What do I need to have
> installed and turned on, etc., in FF to see videos without Flash?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

For audio, you can try switching to DART (see README.OS2) or download
PMunimix from Hobbes and play with the various volume sliders. Here I
had to turn up the front speakers to hear sound.
As for the jerky video, I've only played local videos due to lack of
bandwidth and they play fine. Assuming you have a powerful enough CPU
and enough bandwidth, I'm not sure. Really there should be a buffer
setting that can be increased but I don't remember one.
What CPU do you have?
Dave

Re: Video in FF 38.8.0 in eCS...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
David,

> For audio, you can try switching to DART (see README.OS2) or download
> PMunimix from Hobbes and play with the various volume sliders. Here I
> had to turn up the front speakers to hear sound.
> As for the jerky video, I've only played local videos due to lack of
> bandwidth and they play fine. Assuming you have a powerful enough CPU
> and enough bandwidth, I'm not sure. Really there should be a buffer
> setting that can be increased but I don't remember one.
> What CPU do you have?
> Dave

I set DART in config.sys and audio seems to work in HTML5 videos. I
already use PMUniaud and it does seem to control the audio volume,
especially the sliders for front speakers, as you have found.

Video plays most of the time, either with or without DIVE, but with DIVE
it sometimes stops after about two minutes with audio still working. FOX
News has always been a problem for me, and You Tube sometimes works or
not, but some other sites seem to work better.

My CPU is an AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.60GHz.

Is HTML5 video still in development?

Where are the buffers I might try to adjust?

Martin

Re: Video in FF 38.8.0 in eCS...?

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> David,
>
>> For audio, you can try switching to DART (see README.OS2) or download
>> PMunimix from Hobbes and play with the various volume sliders. Here I
>> had to turn up the front speakers to hear sound.
>> As for the jerky video, I've only played local videos due to lack of
>> bandwidth and they play fine. Assuming you have a powerful enough CPU
>> and enough bandwidth, I'm not sure. Really there should be a buffer
>> setting that can be increased but I don't remember one.
>> What CPU do you have?
>> Dave
>
> I set DART in config.sys and audio seems to work in HTML5 videos. I
> already use PMUniaud and it does seem to control the audio volume,
> especially the sliders for front speakers, as you have found.

Good.

> Video plays most of the time, either with or without DIVE, but with DIVE
> it sometimes stops after about two minutes with audio still working. FOX
> News has always been a problem for me, and You Tube sometimes works or
> not, but some other sites seem to work better.

I guess I should have asked what video card :) IIRC, some systems don't
set things up right for DIVE. You can always turn off accelerated video
to disable DIVE.

> My CPU is an AMD FX-4100 quad core 3.60GHz.

Plenty good enough

> Is HTML5 video still in development?

Probably still on our platform.

> Where are the buffers I might try to adjust?

Go to about:config and search for media.cache. The defaults look
reasonable but it shouldn't hurt to play with them.

Dave