Verizon migration to AOL (Problems)

JoeS-3
I don't like this at all, but it is what it is
Giant corporations like this can set there own rules

Problems encountered with the switch:

Prior to the migration the  _USER_ field did not need
to be the complete Email address to work for Verizon
It does after the switch

This might be because I was using an Alias in verizon mail

But in case anyone is having trouble Verizon>>Verizon/AOL
Check that user name in server setting and SMTP

Thought I might save some "head scratching" out there.

JoeS1

Re: Verizon migration to AOL (Problems)

WaltS48-5
On 3/10/17 4:57 PM, JoeS wrote:

> I don't like this at all, but it is what it is
> Giant corporations like this can set there own rules
>
> Problems encountered with the switch:
>
> Prior to the migration the  _USER_ field did not need
> to be the complete Email address to work for Verizon
> It does after the switch
>
> This might be because I was using an Alias in verizon mail
>
> But in case anyone is having trouble Verizon>>Verizon/AOL
> Check that user name in server setting and SMTP
>
> Thought I might save some "head scratching" out there.
>
> JoeS1

That might be because of the Alias. I didn't need to change anything in
my Server setting or SMTP.

I have had an AOL account for years and never received any mail from them.

Now that I have migrated, I'm getting notices about AOL Mail on the AOL
App, Customize your AOL Mail and who knows what else they will send to
my Verizon account.๐Ÿ˜ž

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Verizon migration to AOL (Problems)

Mr. Ed-2
On 03/10/17 4:57 PM, JoeS wrote:
I don't like this at all, but it is what it is
Giant corporations like this can set there own rules

Problems encountered with the switch:

Prior to the migration theย  _USER_ field did not need
to be the complete Email address to work for Verizon
It does after the switch

This might be because I was using an Alias in verizon mail

But in case anyone is having trouble Verizon>>Verizon/AOL
Check that user name in server setting and SMTP

Thought I might save some "head scratching" out there.

JoeS1
You'll have to set up your AOL address as a separate account.
Verizon no longer will use any account not ending in @verizon.net

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

On 3/11/17 7:44 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 3/10/17 4:57 PM, JoeS wrote:
>> I don't like this at all, but it is what it is
>> Giant corporations like this can set there own rules
>>
>> Problems encountered with the switch:
>>
>> Prior to the migration the  _USER_ field did not need
>> to be the complete Email address to work for Verizon
>> It does after the switch
>>
>> This might be because I was using an Alias in verizon mail
>>
>> But in case anyone is having trouble Verizon>>Verizon/AOL
>> Check that user name in server setting and SMTP
>>
>> Thought I might save some "head scratching" out there.
>>
>> JoeS1
>

> That might be because of the Alias. I didn't need to change anything in
> my Server setting or SMTP.
>
> I have had an AOL account for years and never received any mail from them.
>
> Now that I have migrated, I'm getting notices about AOL Mail on the AOL
> App, Customize your AOL Mail and who knows what else they will send to
> my Verizon account.๐Ÿ˜ž

Be careful of the AOL spam filter. It has eaten a few mails that I
wanted to see

JoeS

Re: Verizon migration to AOL (Problems)

Disaster Master
This is just one of the many scenarios/reasons you should never use your
ISP for your email service.

What I always tell friends family:

1. If you don't already have (at least) one (if you do, pick one to use
for this purpose), create an account with one of the large freemailer
services out there: GMail.com, Outlook.com, etc...

2. Log into your ISP account one time the first time you get set up with
them (repeat this step anytime you move/change your ISP), and set the
primary email they assign to your account to auto-forward to your
personal freemail account.

It is important to do this in case your ISP uses that primary email for
important notifications, which most if not all do.

3. Done.

You'll never have to worry about it again.

Oh - and never, ever use your ISP's DNS servers. Use either OpenDNS's or
Google's.