Venkman XUL debugging access denied

izi

Venkman XUL debugging access denied

izi
Hi all,

I'm trying to debug chatzilla with venkman. Followed instructions at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Debugging_a_XULRunner_Application, works fine. However, when debugging a sample plugin, I get errors:

Error loading URL <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js -> file:///$chatzillaProfile/sampleplugin/init.js>: [Exception... "Access to restricted URI denied" code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)" location: "chrome://venkman/content/venkman-url-loader.js Line: 54"].

where:
$chatzillaProfile is the profile folder for chatzilla
sampleplugin is the name of the plugin

Couldn't find a way to circumvent this. Tried http://www.nabble.com/Re:-XULRunner-vs-Venkman-td4148141.html (venkman opening chatzilla instead of vice versa). Tried http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don%27t_work (checkloaduri allAccess). Tried running xulrunner -jsconsole, nothing in the console. ChatZilla and script works fine otherwise.

Any ideas?

Re: Venkman XUL debugging access denied

Gijs Kruitbosch ("Hannibal")
izi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to debug chatzilla with venkman. Followed instructions at:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Debugging_a_XULRunner_Application, works
> fine. However, when debugging a sample plugin, I get errors:
>
> Error loading URL <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js ->
> file:///$chatzillaProfile/sampleplugin/init.js>: [Exception... "Access to
> restricted URI denied" code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4
> (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)" location:
> "chrome://venkman/content/venkman-url-loader.js Line: 54"].
>
> where:
> $chatzillaProfile is the profile folder for chatzilla
> sampleplugin is the name of the plugin
>
> Couldn't find a way to circumvent this. Tried
> http://www.nabble.com/Re:-XULRunner-vs-Venkman-td4148141.html (venkman
> opening chatzilla instead of vice versa). Tried
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_don%27t_work (checkloaduri
> allAccess). Tried running xulrunner -jsconsole, nothing in the console.
> ChatZilla and script works fine otherwise.
>
> Any ideas?

Which version of Venkman, ChatZilla and XULRunner are you using?

~ Gijs

Re: Venkman XUL debugging access denied

James Ross
"izi" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Error loading URL <chrome://chatzilla/content/static.js ->
> file:///$chatzillaProfile/sampleplugin/init.js>: [Exception... "Access to
> restricted URI denied" code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4
> (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)" location:
> "chrome://venkman/content/venkman-url-loader.js Line: 54"].
>
> Any ideas?

Use Pretty Print.

The URI is deliberately invalid - it's created by the subscript loader
(which ChatZilla uses to load scripts) so that they get treated correctly by
the security system (IIRC), but they can't be loaded as-is because it is
really two URIs stuck together (which Venkman is not splitting apart in the
current version). Pretty Print avoids the need to load the script's reported
URI and instead displays the parsed code directly.

--
James Ross <[hidden email]>

izi

Re: Venkman XUL debugging access denied

izi
> Which version of Venkman, ChatZilla and XULRunner are you using?
Venkman 0.9.87.4 (the latest from Mozilla addons page as of now)
ChatZilla 0.9.84-xr (this is the version that can be downloaded from http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/)
XULRunner 1.9.0.7 (also from the above page)
izi

Re: Venkman XUL debugging access denied

izi
> Use Pretty Print.
This will probably help a bit - especially if there is no better way. It is a little bit harder to use (I cannot see the whole script, but function by function + anonymous functions are all named "anonymous"), but better then nothing. Thanks for the tip James!