Quantcast

Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

David B.
Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks on
the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by WikiLeaks,
it is the largest ever publication of confidential documents on the agency.

The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012 presidential
election.

Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.

Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-

https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

WaltS48-5
On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:

> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
> documents on the agency.
>
> The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
> documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
> inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
> follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
> political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012
> presidential election.
>
> Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
> including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
> malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
> extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
> million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
> of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
> U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
> of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
>
> Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-
>
> https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

I suppose I should be interested. 😴

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Wolf K.
On 2017-03-08 08:23, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:
>> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
>> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
>> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
>> documents on the agency.
>>
>> The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
>> documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
>> inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
>> follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
>> political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012
>> presidential election.
>>
>> Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
>> including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
>> malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
>> extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
>> million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
>> of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
>> U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
>> of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
>>
>> Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-
>>
>> https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
>

> I suppose I should be interested. 😴

Anybody who needs Wikileaks to "discover" that the CIA et al are using
every available cybertool and weapon is just too naive for words.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Disaster Master
On Wed Mar 08 2017 08:36:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anybody who needs Wikileaks to "discover" that the CIA et al are using
> every available cybertool and weapon is just too naive for words.

Did you miss the fact that this dump contains the actual tools themselves???

This is a little more than just an 'fyi'...

On 03/08/2017 08:36 AM, Wolf K. wrote:

> On 2017-03-08 08:23, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:
>>> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
>>> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
>>> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
>>> documents on the agency.
>>>
>>> The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
>>> documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
>>> inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
>>> follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
>>> political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012
>>> presidential election.
>>>
>>> Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
>>> including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
>>> malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
>>> extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
>>> million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
>>> of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
>>> U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
>>> of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
>>>
>>> Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-
>>>
>>> https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
>>

>> I suppose I should be interested. 😴
>
> Anybody who needs Wikileaks to "discover" that the CIA et al are using
> every available cybertool and weapon is just too naive for words.

Well, I would think we all knew that.

The tools they used might be an interesting read, but probably too
technical for me.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

WaltS48-5
On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:

> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
> documents on the agency.
>
> The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
> documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
> inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
> follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
> political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012
> presidential election.
>
> Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
> including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
> malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
> extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
> million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
> of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
> U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
> of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
>
> Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-
>
> https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

From
<http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/08/technology/wikileaks-cia-hacking-protect-smartphone-smart-tvs/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom>

On 2017-03-08 09:02, Disaster Master wrote:
> On Wed Mar 08 2017 08:36:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time), Wolf K.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Anybody who needs Wikileaks to "discover" that the CIA et al are using
>> every available cybertool and weapon is just too naive for words.
>
> Did you miss the fact that this dump contains the actual tools themselves???

Nope, I was responding to Walt's "I suppose I should be interested...",
which I parse as an alternative version of the sentiment expressed in my
post. Sorry for lack of clarity.

> This is a little more than just an 'fyi'...

Yes, indeed. IMO, you'll see a) a slew of attacks by "private
individuals" as well as the usual crooks, using these tools; and b)
updating of security to counter the CIA attacks. The CIA is of course
constantly updating its tools, as are the security services of every
country in the world. For some of those, the leaked CIA tools will be a
welcome saving of labour.

Have a good day,

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Mike Easter-2
Disaster Master wrote:
> Did you miss the fact that this dump contains the actual tools themselves???
>
> This is a little more than just an 'fyi'...

Disclaimer: I haven't read any analyses by security people, just a NYT
article on the wikileaks release so far

The dump is documents including lists of tools and methods, not tools.

IMO so far, this (transparency) exposure of vulnerabilities which can be
exploited and the tools to do so by black or not-so-black hats is
'positive' from a pure security perspective.

It behooves anyone from the CIA down to the ordinary individual to be
aware of security vulnerabilities.  One NYT citation believed that
wikileaks was more likely provided the hacked docs from such as a
foreign power Russia than from such as a 'conscience-stricken CIA
whistle-blower'.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> just a NYT article

I think I like one WaPo angle better than the overall NYT's substantive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/08/wikileaks-strikes-again-here-are-4-big-questions-about-vault-7/
  WikiLeaks strikes again. Here are 4 big questions about Vault 7.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/world/europe/wikileaks-cia-hacking.html

--
Mike Easter

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Good Guy-2
On 08/03/2017 14:21, WaltS48 wrote:

>> Keeping devices up to date is the best way to avoid vulnerabilities
>> -- that includes software and hardware updates.

Except that each updates contains new tools to get into your machine.
Without disclosing the source, I understand that Microsoft's each
monthly updates installs something new for it to accumulate data and
deletes the old tools so that they don't waste time on old stuff.  This
being the case, some people never update their machine regularly.  I
update my machines once every 3 months when I feel like!!

To me new features are important but security updates are the last thing
in my mind.  I use "common sense" when it comes to security but the term
"Common" is a misnomer here because it is not common with  everybody!!.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Vault 7: CIA Hacking Tools Revealed

Ron Hunter
On 3/8/2017 8:21 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:
>> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
>> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
>> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
>> documents on the agency.
>>
>> The first full part of the series, "Year Zero", comprises 8,761
>> documents and files from an isolated, high-security network situated
>> inside the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence in Langley, Virgina. It
>> follows an introductory disclosure last month of CIA targeting French
>> political parties and candidates in the lead up to the 2012
>> presidential election.
>>
>> Recently, the CIA lost control of the majority of its hacking arsenal
>> including malware, viruses, trojans, weaponized "zero day" exploits,
>> malware remote control systems and associated documentation. This
>> extraordinary collection, which amounts to more than several hundred
>> million lines of code, gives its possessor the entire hacking capacity
>> of the CIA. The archive appears to have been circulated among former
>> U.S. government hackers and contractors in an unauthorized manner, one
>> of whom has provided WikiLeaks with portions of the archive.
>>
>> Read more .... MUCH more .... here:-
>>
>> https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
>

> From
> <http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/08/technology/wikileaks-cia-hacking-protect-smartphone-smart-tvs/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom>
>

>> The WikiLeaks publication serves as a reminder that anyone with a
>> smartphone or another device connected to the internet is vulnerable
>> to hacking.
>
>> Keeping devices up to date is the best way to avoid vulnerabilities --
>> that includes software and hardware updates.

And keep it in your possession.  Most of the hacks I have read about
require access to the phone (physical access) in order to load their
software.  On an iPhone, if you have the Touch ID, turn it on.  That way
the phone locks immediately, and loading software at the low level
requires the password to activate it.  With this kind of protection,
actual hardware changes need to be made to load a hack.

On 2017-03-08 20:13, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 3/8/2017 8:21 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 03/08/2017 07:36 AM, David B. wrote:
>>> Today, Tuesday 7 March 2017, WikiLeaks begins its new series of leaks
>>> on the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency. Code-named "Vault 7" by
>>> WikiLeaks, it is the largest ever publication of confidential
>>> documents on the agency.
[etc]

After reading four different media reports on what Wikileaks  put out
there, I've come to the conclusion that none of the reporters understand
what the leak actually is. Eg, the headline in the Toronto Star warns
readers that the CIA can use smart TVs to spy on them. Sure, and so can
anybody else who knows how to hack into the Internet Of Things. Heck,
they can use your fridge to get personal data about you. Or your
security camera. Or whatever.

What I have inferred them from the reports:
a) The CIA found a number of holes in various platforms, and did not
tell their authors/owners about those holes.
b) Most (probably all) of those holes have since been plugged.
c) Many other black hats found those holes, too.
d) If there is a security hole, someone will exploit it.
e) The amount of data is so massive that without some clear notion of
what to look for, you won't find anything worth the effort of searching
for it.
f) Etc.

Conclusion: There ain't much you can do about it. A good deal of
personal and metadata about you is available to anyone who thinks it's
worth their while to get it. But that's always been true, only the mass
and scope of available data has changed. So have the tools for sifting
through the data. However, now, as in the past, most people aren't worth
the effort of surveilling. Big Brother may be watching you, but his
attention has been and always will be limited. Orwell was wrong. In the
long run, the totalitarian state collapses because it can't sustain the
effort of maintaining itself. More powerful technology merely increases
the cost. Tthe collapse is always a bloody mess, with lots of collateral
damage.

Have a good day,

On 2017-03-08 10:35, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> just a NYT article
>
> I think I like one WaPo angle better than the overall NYT's substantive.
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/08/wikileaks-strikes-again-here-are-4-big-questions-about-vault-7/
>   WikiLeaks strikes again. Here are 4 big questions about Vault 7.
>
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/world/europe/wikileaks-cia-hacking.html

The Register has the complete list:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/cia_exploit_list_in_full/

Wolf K. wrote:
> The Register has the complete list:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/cia_exploit_list_in_full/

And a good article.

--
Mike Easter

On 3/8/2017, 10:35:36 AM, Mike Easter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> just a NYT article
> I think I like one WaPo angle better than the overall NYT's substantive.
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/03/08/wikileaks-strikes-again-here-are-4-big-questions-about-vault-7/
>   WikiLeaks strikes again. Here are 4 big questions about Vault 7.

Nah, they try to keep bringing up the Russia boogeyman, and question
Wikileaks credibility as a news source, when the fact is, Wikileaks
releases have never, EVER been proven to be wrong or 'Fake News', which
is WHY they must be demonized.

On 3/9/2017, 9:04:58 AM, Wolf K. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Register has the complete list:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/08/cia_exploit_list_in_full/

A much better article, although they try to deflect/downplay the very
real fact that the CIA can easily 'disguise its operations as the work
of a foreign government' (does anyone really believe otherwise?)

It also leaves out the references to the CIA's investigation of remote
hacking of newer cars, which is the most plausible cause of Michael
Hastings mysterious death (hint: it was MURDER by CIA). He was doing an
expose on CIA Director Brennan at the time of his murder.

https://milo.yiannopoulos.net/2017/03/wikileaks-cia-hack-cars/

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/questions-remain-years-mysterious-death-michael-hastings/